Thread: One more question - Mixers this time

One more question - Mixers this time

From my other posts, our band is putting together a small rack system, but we want room for expansion later, such as subs.

Right now I'm looking at mixers. I would think 12-16 XLR's would be best, but right now my budget is $400-$500 and we don't use that many inputs currently. I'm looking for a decent board in that price range. The local shop feels at the low end price point, brand doesn't matter, I should buy for features. Such as subgroups

These are the 3 boards I'm looking at are

Yamaha MG166CX

Behringer 2442FX

Sound Craft board

Features wise the Behringer board beats them all, quality wise I'm uncertian. The Soundcraft board, lacks onboard efx, but has 12 XLR inputs, but has less sub outs than the others.

Yamaha board has onboard compression, but still not as many outputs as the Behringer.

So what do think about build and component quality on these boards? I'm thinking we would expect the board to last 2-5 years, and if we stay small, may never need a bigger board. So mabye I want it to last longer

I'm leaning toward the Yamaha, but would really like some opinions, even if you think I should consider other brands.

Any comments on Behringer? I've never owned anything from them before.

Cyber

Re: One more question - Mixers this time

I've got the previous generation Yamaha 16-channel (no FX or compression) and IMHO, it's great. It also mounts nicely im a rack.

When I downsized for acoustic, I got one of hte DFX series Mackies, and I think it has a distinct lack of output level. The fx are also a little cheezy.

I've always liked Yamaha reverbs and delays.

Soundcraft has a nice rep, but I've never used one.

Unless cash was the overwhelming decider, I would stay away from Behringer stuff.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

i wouldn't buy behringer, ever. they sound bad.

soundcraft or yamaha are the way to go. i've used both and they both make a quality product.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Check out Carvin boards.

Well,
    I always say "Buy what you need" and for me and "Crossfyre" that always puts us in Behringer land. I know, I know, Behringer stuff sucks! That's what everyone says. Sure, I'd like to buy Mackie and Yamaha stuff but I can never afford it. As far as features per dollar goes, you can't beat Behringer. We've had the same Behringer powered mixer for about 7 years now and only stopped using it last year when I built a new rack system. Now, Rickenjangle uses it for his other band projects and his acoustic stuff. It works fine and always has. The new system has a 12 xlr channel (20 overall) mixer in it and hasn't failed yet. I also use a Behringer effects unit and an expander in the system. No one has ever questioned the sound we get. As long as I'm here I'll mention that we have an Ashley compressor, a Crown 250 watt amp and a QSC 250 watt amp powering things to the house and monitors.
    So, I guess all I can say is the stuff works for us.
    I don't really like the "reengineering" Behringer does but they must be OK because I don't see them in court all the time defending themselves over patent infrigement.

I've always heard that the Carvin boards were good stuff but I've never seen or heard one, ever in real life.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Yep - the Behringer head I bought from Mikey lives on. I've done about 1/2 dozen gigs with it running mains and a bulletproof old Peavey mixer head running monitors...never a problem.

Oh, actually, one time I had a problem...or so I thought...tried everything I could...then realized I had a bad mic cable.

We use the Behringer and Peavey heads every week in practice for the church band - my PA 'lives' at the church band's practice space.

However, if you want bulletproof, I'd choose the Yamaha over the behringer.

I've gigged with Soundcraft boards too - and they offer decent value for money. But the Yamaha channel strip's EQ's sound good/better to me.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Again thanks for the posts.

I ordered the Yamaha board today. I like the idea of the effects and compression onboard, and $200 less than the Soundcraft.

Oh, I did support my local music shop with my amp & mixer purchase. I just wish the local place would compete with GC or MF, but I guess I get good advise from them.

I Also owned a berhringer Powered mixer for 3 years and it has worked perfectly.

Cyber