Thread: Questions about rack/mixer cases

Questions about rack/mixer cases

The band is starting to slowly pick up gear, and I'm haveing a tough time understanding what size case to get.

I'm very new into this. I'm thinking I would like to have a top mounted mixer/rack box on wheels, but am I really over doing it? We're a small band, 4 vocals, bass, 2 guitar, drummer.

I would expect to have in the next month

Yamaha MG166CX mixer (top rack mount)
    2 space amp (monitor)
    2 space amp (main)
    1 space compressor
    1 space power conditioner
    1 space EQ

OK, so that's 7 spaces. How large of a bottom should I get? 8, 10, 12?

How about the top, they have several sizes of those also, very comfusing.

Like I said, I'm new to this and not sure what to purchase. It seems to be quite a big step moving from a powered mixer to this system.

Any comments?

Re: Questions about rack/mixer cases

Personally, I'd go for a couple of smaller racks.

SKB makes the mini gig-rig which is a bit cumbersome and kind of expensive, but is pretty handy for mounting a 16 channel mixer and some outboard stuff. Don't put your power amp in there, or you WILL need two people to move it.

I've recently purchased a couple SKB racks with luggage-style handles and wheels. They're excellent for transport for power amps. Gator might also make a similar item.

Proposed layout:

Mini-gig rig for mixer plus compressor and EQ

Five space roller rack for both power amps and power conditioner. You'll have enough space inside to tuck your labeled XLR cables and the IEC plugs for for easy connection of power to the gig rig.

You can stack the two for a bit more height for using the mixer.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

good advice kap. you should also think about getting one a little bit bigger than you need, put a power conditioner in the top, and one of those rack drawers for the bottom. you can hide out your gaff tape, board tape, sharpies, 9v batteries and other assorted sundries in it. like martha stewart would say, "it's a good thing!"
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Crossfyre have one of the gig rigs that have the 10 and the mixer rack built together. It's hella heavy. Convenient, though. Mikey built a nifty cable distribution panel on the back of the rack that basically Dumbass-proofs the running of speaker cables.

I like Kap'n's idea though...one rack for mixer and effects, and one for the power amps.

I'd recommend the following, for the power amps: get a 5-rack space (or 6) and leave a space in between for heat dissipation. If you don't like the way it looks, you can get a screen for the front of the rack so it doesn't look goofy.

If you've only got 2 power amps, in their own rack, I wouldn't worry about getting a furman power strip to put in there...oh, and if you get a rack for the amps that has wheels on the side - make sure you don't STORE the rack on it's wheels between gigs, 'cause the amps don't like to be suspended on their sides. I think they could buckle over the years. I always recommend storing the power amp rack so that the amps are hanging vertically from both their rack ears.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

My local music store has a case by grundorf. the top and bottom are 12 space, with casters. A good price at $275 and lots of room for the mixer & cables.

The weight though is 60 lbs.

So I'm thinking case, amps, mixer and other processors and I have a 200 lb monster to carry around. If I split it up the top would be right around 70 lbs, and the amp case around 120lbs? I like the two case idea, but like the idea of everything being hooked up, ready to go.

What to do?

Cyber

make a cheapy wire loom. i used to work with a band that had their own rig, but we found the way they had it set up was very arduous to set up. sometimes we're use the whole thing including the snake, sometimes it'd be broke down to a smaller travel size rig. in that case what we did was make every rack have a wire loom with clearly marked cables that were bundled together. so that way no matter what size we were using at a given gig, it would go together quickly and accurately. no guessing if you had things patched right.

if you take the time to plan things out it's well worth it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"