Thread: Carl Verheyen

Carl Verheyen

Just got to see Carl Verheyen last night in Hampton, Va. I sat 6 feet from the stage & was just totally blown away. He improvised on the most killer version of Little Wing I have ever heard. I begged him after the show to record it some day. Carl & the members of his band are just the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Definately go see them if you get the chance. His new cd "Six" is great also.

Registered
    He's no joke, I like his playing a lot.

Carl is my favorite guitarist. I've seen him play live around L.A. more times than I can remember. When I was a student at G.I.T., I attended every clinic and master class Carl gave. I've probably learned more from Carl Verheyen than any other player or teacher I've ever known.

IMO, Carl is one of the most underrated and underexposed guitar players on the planet. He really should be a household name, IMO. Verheyen's intervallic approach to single note improvisation is extremely original, and he's easily the most versatile player I've ever heard. Carl plays rock, blues, jazz, country, nylon string classical, and you-fill-in-the-blank_______ with equal authority.

(Hence his standing as a first-call session player in L.A.)

I highly recommend Carl's instructional video "Intervallic Rock" to anyone looking to take their playing to the next level.

As for recordings, "No Borders" and "Garage Sale" (Carl's first two efforts) are my favorites insofar as these discs are the most guitar-intensive and best showcase Carl's versatility, IMO. Carl's subsequent releases have been more blues/classic rock-oriented.

http://www.carlverheyen.com

Thanks for the heads up and site address - from the looks of that first pic it looks like he plays a Don Grosh s-style (among others) although I can't tell for sure, which I'd be interested in hearing. I'll definitely check him out...
    Last edited by LightninBoy; 07-17-2003 at 04:33 AM.
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

When Carl plays live with his trio he uses vintage strats 99% of the time. His live rig includes two vintage Vox AC-30s (split in stereo with a Chandler Stereo Echo) for his clean sound and an old Marshall Plexi (soaked down with a THD Hot Plate and slaved into the power section of another Marshall) for the distortion sound. He uses an old Fender tube reverb, a TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger pedal, a Pro Co Rat and some other pedals I can't remember. Whatever the case, Carl takes no prisoners!

The night I saw him, he played a Daphne blue 99(50th anniversary) 57ri strat w/Dimarzio virtual vintage pup's through a pair of Fender Deville amps. His pedal board included a crybaby wah & he told me the name of the custom stompbox that gave him the "violin" sound, but I forgot it. He said he paid $300 for the guitar & didn't take his vintage guitars on tour much anymore. The amps were not his usual stage rig, but were borrowed from a university where he was going to have a workshop session. He also played a Washburn acoustic mounted on a stand & he sounded fantastic.

Yep, Carl's one of those guys who's so good he would probably sound good playing a shovel. ;)

I've listened to "Let's Ride" and "Conveyor Belt" quite a few times - I like them both - from what I can tell it sounds like he's reserved in the studio stuff but probably wails live, there's a few times he lets loose where I wished he'd kept going but didn't - is his stuff available in stores or only online?
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Carl probably stretches more where guitar solos are concerned on the "Garage Sale" CD.

I believe I once spotted "Slang Justice" in a Tower Records Store but I don't believe Carl currently has distribution with any of the retail chains.

The only places I've been able to find his CDs have been on his own site and at Amazon (and at his gigs.)