Thread: Neck pocket sizes

Formerly joe mama

Neck pocket sizes

I'm using Fender custom shop necks and tried a MIJ body and recently a new Allparts body (also made in Japan I think), and I could stick a heavy pick on one side while a buisness card on the bass side. They were extremely sloppy fitting with two Fender CS necks. Too much play and required, really wiggling the neck around to get proper alignment. I didn't like that and in my mind, it could shift on me at times. I like it to seat properly.

I could see MIJ being metric or a little off, but an Allparts is supposed to be part of a build and should accomodate a lot of makes. So wouldn't they make it a little snug? Much easier to sand than add wood.

Anyhow, should I stick with US made bodies? I don't want to fork out the $ for a CS body. What about a highway body or an EJ. Do you guys think I'd get a better fit? It doesn't have to be ultra perfect, but I don't want gaps on both sides of the neck!

Re: Neck pocket sizes

I have a US Tele, J-tele and Schecter PT in this style.

http://drpietrzak.com/music/teles.JPG

The neck pocket int eh J and Schecter and slightly wider and shallower.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I faced this problem recently after fellow TFFer "Carbonti" warned me that it might eventually occur. I tried to install a MIM '60s neck on a MIJ body and the tolerances were impossibly wide -- too wide by any reasonable standard. Ultimately I was forced to buy a new Allparts body which fit the MIM neck like the proverbially glove. I do recollect building a guitar around a WD body an' that pocket was actually too snug to fit a Robert Cray neck without removing some stock from the sides of the pocket. I think they may be deliberately under-sized to permit custom-fitting. You might give one of their bodies a try.

HTH

Formerly joe mama

Hmm, I'm thinking of staying with a US Fender body. But the parts companies should make them a hair tighter to allow fitting better.

I heard that Allparts is possibly the same factory as Fender MIJ.

Allparts produces licensed Fender components and in fact provides the tuxedo necks (vanilla an' chocolate) for Fender's '75 Jazz Bass re-issues an' the Geddy Lee artist model. They also build the bound rosewood necks used on the CIJ/MIJ "premium vintage" '65 re-issue Strats.

HTH

Forum Member

I have a much more limited experience in buiding "parts-casters" than some my esteemed TFF colleagues. But I've found that the heel & neck pockets are sized for their respective home markets. 2 3/16" for all MIA Fenders and third-party parts suppliers whose parts are destined for the USA market. Therefore, Allparts necks are manufactured in Japan but sized for 2 3/16" neck/body interface as they are destined for sale in USA market.

Fender parts & guitars destined for ROW markets (Rest of the World which includes MIM & CIJ) have 2 1/4" neck & body interface specs.

FWIW, I have only dealt with Japan bodies and have a standard USA 2 3/16" neck on this guitar.

The gap is not egregious, most evident only at the 21st fret which is hidden by the pickguard. The other Japan body I have is in the works but I bought a USAGC neck with a 2 1/4" heel to mate with it.

There's more variability in the the sound than can be blamed on a looser neck pocket. So build it, plug it in and have a listen.
    Last edited by carbonti; 10-14-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Flunked the new arithmetic: fractions on neck specs corrected

Formerly joe mama

While that's true about sound, I don't like necks that creak when you bend a string or use the bar. If they don't sit tight, holes aren't drilled correctly, etc.. they can do that. So there are other things to consider.

I just don't put much faith in "licensed" by Fender. That means squat. I took a couple strat bodies (USA CG and a well known licensed company) to a luthier and without even asking him, he went off saying how accurate and well made the USA CG was and pointed out lots of flaws in the licensed one.

I'm finding that others have the same problem through various forums. Even though Allparts is making them for the US measurements, somehow they are not doing a great job. Lots of so-so fit.

Now I did find a Fender MIJ necks fit great on an Allparts body with US dimensions.
    Last edited by 69strat; 10-14-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Forum Member

I'm considering putting a Jeff Beck neck (old version) on an Eric Johnson body. Is there anything here that I need to worry about or watch for?

Formerly joe mama

I'd think that'd be a great fit. But you should sell me the EJ body!

Forum Member

The benefit of doing your own construction with components you choose is that the guitar is built to the limits of your own skill level or satisfaction, whichever is lower. Parts is parts.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonti View Post
    Parts is parts.
    Twew dat!

Tha's why my next body will be custom-built center-joined book-ended swamp ash, sized specifically to the exact neck I'm gonna use.