Thread: Classic 50īs Tele - opinions?

Forum Member

Classic 50īs Tele - opinions?

Title says it all. You who have/had one, whatīs your opinion? Workmanship? Sound? Feel?

These are great guitars I had a 6.5lb one that was awesome.

You can sorta call it a poor mans 52ri cause its almost the same guitar except for the 50's Classic has a bigger neck and is all poly and worse pickups.

Just change the pickups and you have an excellent Tele.

The 60's Classic and Muddy Waters are also good choices no pickup change needed on those.

Forum Member
    Thanks Marcondo! What would be a good choice for pickup replacement on the 50? Any ideas?

I was after the Roy Buchanan type tone on mine so had Peter Florence wind up a set of pickups that worked real good.

Fralins are good so are Duncan Broadcaster and Antiquity.

The neck pickup is fine only the thin sounding bridge really needs replaced.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by twang
    What would be a good choice for pickup replacement on the 50? Any ideas?
    What kind of tone are you looking for?

you can also go for the fender 52 RI pups these will give you what your name already describes. But all the above suggestions are great ones too.

Butch great new avatar!!
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

Forum Member
    Originally posted by bluesgtr20

Butch great new avatar!!
    Thanks!!

Twang, there are several threads here concerning Tele pickups. Do a search and you might find the info you're looking for; or just answer my last question here...

Forum Member

Sorry to piggyback.....

Is the classic 50's tele neck shaped like a MIM standard Tele and have the smaller frets??

I've looking for my first Tele. I don't really like the small frets on a MIM Standard Strat I have.

What is the 52 RI neck and frets like compared to the regular American Series??? My local store doesn't current have any RI's...

Forum Member
    The 50's Tele neck has the vintage radius (7.25") and smaller frets.

Forum Member
    thanks, Butch.

:wail1

Forum Member
    No problem. The vintage necks kind of scare me. both my other guitars have larger radii. One has a 9.5" radius and the other has a 10" radius. both have med-jumbo frets. I bought a 69RI Thinline and I am really having a hard time with the frets an radius.

Good luck.

Forum Member
    I'm all for the bigger frets. I have enough challenges!!

I'm thinking I might just save up for a Lentz T Style. I thought I wanted a maple fretboard this time but I think I just like rosewood better. Those brazilian boards I've seen (like Lily's) are just too much.

I really like the look of the 52 RI too, but I think I really need the medium jumbo's.
    Last edited by solimar; 07-12-2003 at 05:45 PM.

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
    No problem. The vintage necks kind of scare me. both my other guitars have larger radii. One has a 9.5" radius and the other has a 10" radius. both have med-jumbo frets. I bought a 69RI Thinline and I am really having a hard time with the frets an radius.

Good luck.
    The radius I could live with but those darn vintage frets I can't. I would have bought a MIM thinline long ago if it would have had real frets <smile>. I know I have Warmoth necks on every decent guitar I won save my Fat Tele, and it will proabaly soon. So I suppose I should just give that lame excuse up and get it over with!

Dale
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

I am the opposite from you guys. I love vintage readius and frets. I feel like I can dig in more and feel the board, I do definitely have to play a little differently than my guitars that have the modern board.

Solmar,
    if you are interested in a 52 RI than see if you can find a 1998 collectors edition, it comes with a 2-tone sunburst finish and a 9.5" radius w/med. jumbo frets or you can just make one from warmoth.com with all the specs you want. Good luck
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

You can buy a Muddy Waters Tele same price roughly as the 50's Classic and it has 9.5 radius neck and med jumbo frets.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the tips guys, and sorry about my late reply - I have been offline for a couple of of days.

Anyway, Iīm basically looking for a no-nonsense americana rythm tone, like Springsteen, Petty (although Petty uses Rickenbackers alot) etc. As for lead tone I love Danny Gattonīs tone and I want to have some smooth jazz tones too. But a good rythm sound is priority #1.

Originally posted by Marcondo
    You can buy a Muddy Waters Tele same price roughly as the 50's Classic and it has 9.5 radius neck and med jumbo frets.
    Mark I keep forgetting about the Muddy what a great guitar!!

As for a no-nonsense americana rhythm tone, any tele will work so just choose one that feels the most comfortable, good luck

Steve

PS let us know what you decide on :tw59
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

Forum Member
    I think it will probably be a Muddy Waters tele or a MIA Tele now so I can get those medium jumbo's

Be nice to find a slightly used one ready for a good home!

Any of you guys use a p90 in a tele neck position??
    Last edited by solimar; 07-15-2003 at 07:38 PM.

Originally posted by solimar
    I think it will probably be a Muddy Waters tele or a MIA Tele now so I can get those medium jumbo's

Be nice to find a slightly used one ready for a good home!

Any of you guys use a p90 in a tele neck position??
    With the Muddy be ready for RED!

I used to have a Harmonic Design Z90 in one of my guitars. Nice sound, I just am too much a bucker neck person I guess.

Dale
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member
    The MIA Teles are made well but the bridge is the worst thing that Fender has ever made. YMMV...

The MIA Teles are made well but the bridge is the worst thing that Fender has ever made. YMMV...
    Hum. I like the MIA bridge. For some reason I have not like the 3 saddle one as well.

Dale

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Dale
    Hum. I like the MIA bridge. For some reason I have not like the 3 saddle one as well.

Dale
    That's the way I used to be...

That's the way I used to be...
    It is amazing how my tastes in things change over the years. I have consistently liked buckers in the neck and 6 saddle bridges though. It is not a tone thing, as I don't hear enough of a difference for me to be fired up.

Dale

Forum Member
    You might like the new American Series Tele. Looks like a 52RI with the American Standard bridge.

http://www.fender.com/misc/summernam...an_series.html

The 12" radius neck would be a bit different than the 7.25".

Oh crap that looks nice!!
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

You might like the new American Series Tele. Looks like a 52RI with the American Standard bridge.

http://www.fender.com/misc/summernam...an_series.html

The 12" radius neck would be a bit different than the 7.25".
    The ash bodied Highway tele looks nice too. I like the dual bucker Strats a bit as well. Now these are all the new releases for this year, this last NAMM right?

Dale