Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweed Twin

Re: Tweed Twin

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    That's very true. One guy even called everyone who disagreed with him "you basement jockeys."

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.
    As I said to Gris, those at whom that was directed know who they are. I didn't mention you and in fact did not have you in mind.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

Doc, you started the condescending remarks (your exact words you must know some gentle drummers and the real winner basement jockeys) , plain and simple. The fact that you won't own up to it speaks volumes about you. Everyone in the thread was speaking their opinion, and just because your opinion (of an amp that you played in a store, not in a live situation) was different, you started slinging mud. Poor form, especially for someone who claims to have a PhD. Piled high and deep indeed. I'm putting you on my ignore list so I don't have to see anymore of your posts. So flame away, I won't see it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    As I said to Gris, those at whom that was directed know who they are. I didn't mention you and in fact did not have you in mind.
    When someone's being hypocritical and accusing others of offenses he's at least as guilty of himself, I reserve the right to comment -- whether the accusations were directed at me or others.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

If you took it personally, then I apologize to you and anyone else who got caught in the crossfire
    Good enuff for me amigo... :-)

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Guys, please!

One need only read some of the "Whammy Bar" threads to be reminded how swiftly life can become tragic. An' our lives are much too short for this type of kibbutzing. Cain't we all take a moment for some introspection and come to terms with a simple difference of opinion? I know I've crossed swords with some here but I manned up, swallowed some pride, an' offered sincere atonement (in private) for those who'd felt I'd slighted or offended them. I enjoy a lively debate now an' again, but I ultimately regard the entire gang here as friends......friends who've hepped me accomplish a lot of thangs I've dreamed of.

An' I'd never let anythang git in the way of that.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Just for the record, having built and tweaked a several 5E3s... CJ's with it's uber efficient Red Fang (I had one like that) will sound literally TWICE as loud as the stock Fender 5E3 with it's Jensen RI P12Q. The 'Fang' is the most efficient speaker I know of - rated at 103db @ 1M, whereas the Jensen is one of the lowest, rated 95db. This explains most of the gross disparity in your respective 'hearing' (opinions) of these amps.
    I must agree, I'll switch speakers for different situations.

The tone tubby in mine is FREAKIN' loud for a 5E3, just screams.
    Stands up to even my sons 15 year old drummer friend pounding away. (Good drummer for his age, but no finesse)
    If I want to tone it down I stick a weber 12A125-O in it and it's much tamer, perfect for a casual jam with friends at the house.

- HR

+1, phantomman.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Neel View Post
    Doc, you started the condescending remarks (your exact words you must know some gentle drummers
    CJ, if this is why you got your nose out of joint, then you have very much misunderstood. For the LAST time, in my experience, a 12 watt amplifier has not been sufficiently loud to play with most drummers. That comment was me simply saying, if you can use a 12 watt amp, then you must work with drummers who play more gently the ones with whom I work. That was not an attack on you. In fact, it was even a little bit of envy on my part, i.e., good on you that you work with people who are more sensitive to dynamics.

If you took this as an attack then I will give you the benefit of the doubt and apologize. Nonethless, in my opinion, you were not listening to what I said, for whatever reason, and I still don't think you have heard and understood what I said about that sweet (yet much too quiet) little amp that I tried in that store.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
    I must agree, I'll switch speakers for different situations.

The tone tubby in mine is FREAKIN' loud for a 5E3, just screams.
    Stands up to even my sons 15 year old drummer friend pounding away. (Good drummer for his age, but no finesse)
    If I want to tone it down I stick a weber 12A125-O in it and it's much tamer, perfect for a casual jam with friends at the house.

- HR
    This is one of the reasons I picked up the 5e3 as a head as well as the Richter combo. The C-Rex in the combo works for me there. The head I can do a lot with everything from 2x12 closed backs with V30's, multiple cabs, all sorts of options that does a lot more than people realize from this amp.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Doc - CJ's 5E3 (he can't hear you now) is probably putting out 15+ watts through a super efficient speaker. You are and were talking apples and oranges. The stock Fender RI 5E3 doesn't use the same iron, speaker or tubes that us builders do - apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Doc - CJ's 5E3 (he can't hear you now) is probably putting out 15+ watts through a super efficient speaker. You are and were talking apples and oranges. The stock Fender RI 5E3 doesn't use the same iron, speaker or tubes that us builders do - apples and oranges.
    Gris, hey, no from argument me. If you look, my comment was on the Fender 12 watt tweed Deluxe reissue. Period. I listened to what others have had to say about speakers and made notes. Lots of good ideas there.

BTW, CJ never heard me, even before he put me on ignore.
    Last edited by Doc W; 01-03-2009 at 10:15 PM.

All I can say is my Weber 5e3 clone kit is freakin loud, even with the stock speaker that Weber sells with the kit. It don't back down from no drummer and cuts through the mix like a knife.

Admittedly, at the house right after it was built, I cranked that little sucker and it didn't seem that loud. In fact, I thought it was perfect for what I wanted it for. Louder than a Champ, but not as loud as a 100 Watt Marshall. It had that sweet cranked tone I was looking for without pedals, and I was anxious to use it live. Plugged it into a 4x12 and knew it would be loud enough when I needed it on a big stage. So I took it out one night, plugged it in and flipped the switchs on. I hadn't touched a thing from when it was in the house, and damn that thing seemed even louder. I had a few complaints that it was too loud, so I told our sound guy to take me out of the mix. It was still too loud, so the next day I asked some question here on how to tame it. I tried a few things, but didn't have much luck. Now I put the amp in a corner when I can, or behind the subs when there's no corner, and turn the speaker towards the back wall. It is this experience that makes me dubious about the Deluxe Reverb and its 22 watts being too loud too. Though the Deluxe Reverb is voiced differently, so it'll probably be manageable.

I'll admit that the 5e3 isn't an amp with a lot of headroom, and not exactly a good all around rhythm work amp, but that's not the tones I was looking for in that amp. It is what it is, and does what it does better than any other amp around. If that's not what a person wants in their amp, the 5e3 (reissue, kit, or vintage) won't be the right amp for them. But if someone wants an amp with smooth compressed gain, tons of sustain, and a voice that'll sneak between the bass, keys, drums, and cymbals the 5e3 can't be beaten. And as for volume, I'd venture to guess that with the same speaker compliment, its 12 watts will measure within 2 to 4 db's of a 100 watt amp.

Of course, it's all just my opinion and experiences.
    POO DAT!!!

Geez...all this over a 5E3? Damn...I gotta build one now!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Geez...all this over a 5E3? Damn...I gotta build one now!
    Ironically, it has been my plan for some time to do a 5E3 as first build project. I love Deluxes and the little 12 watt tweed is sweet but .. oh never mind. Lol.

Ironically, it has been my plan for some time to do a 5E3 as first build project. I love Deluxes and the little 12 watt tweed is sweet but .. oh never mind. Lol.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

NT, thanks for this! a 40W Deluxe sounds really intriguing. I shied away from kits because as most of you know, I am a real novice with this sort of thing. I am planning to build a Champ from a kit - maybe. Anyway, you are right, why not get the kit and get someone else to put it together? Or perhaps, have someone experienced help me build it?

If I had a car, I would drive right over to hear it. It's only 1700 miles. Maybe you can play it for me over the phone.
    Well if can afford a 57 RI these guy should be able to make an amp you may like they are in Toronto sell kits as well , most are low powered www.trinityamps.com though they may build ya something nice.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Well if can afford a 57 RI these guy should be able to make an amp you may like they are in Toronto sell kits as well , most are low powered www.trinityamps.com though they may build ya something nice.
    Russ, thanks a bunch for this. Toronto is 4 hours from me and I go there frequently. I will definitely check out these guys.

Russ, thanks a bunch for this. Toronto is 4 hours from me and I go there frequently. I will definitely check out these guys.
    Your welcome also check out the engater amps they are said to be nice haven't tried one you can see em in the whats new section here www.12fret.com
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

I liked the sound of the amp and I may try a first build project with 5E3. However, it simply wasn't loud enough for some of the venues I CHOOSE to play
    How about one of these then?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=482822

that should do it

Seriously - maybe the amp you played was broken or something. My 5E3 is "louder" than my BF DR and DRRI.

Anyway - just MIC the thing already!

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"