Thread: Maroon 5 on CSI:NY - Interesting hybrid axe

Forum Member

Maroon 5 on CSI:NY - Interesting hybrid axe

Did anyone see last night's CSI: New York? It opened with Maroon 5 playing an outdoor concert, and one of the guitarists (the one who's not singing lead) had a very interesting, cool-looking guitar.

Basically, it has a Tele-style headstock, and the treble side of the body is shaped like a Tele, but the bass side of the body is shaped like a Strat. It's got Tele pickups, bridge, and electronics, and a black Tele guard on a kinda butterscotch blonde finish.

Here's a clip; there are shots of the guitar throughout, and closer shots of the body around the 1:30 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gan6X61u4e0

Cool guitar. Anyone know who made it? I'm guessing it's not an actual Fender, but I suppose it could be.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Re: Maroon 5 on CSI:NY - Interesting hybrid axe

looks like a squire custom 51 with a different pickgaurd (and p'ups and ect.) to me.

but hey, ya never know.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

I wondered about that, and I guess it could be a 51 -- but it looks to me like even the bridge is different from a 51. It's a classic 3-saddle Tele bridge. And there's something about the cutaway and the "horn" on the treble side that says Tele to me rather than Strat. The 51's a Strat body with style touches from the Tele and the early Precision bass, but the guitar in the clip looks like it has a treble cutaway based on a Tele, and a bass cutaway based on a Strat.

I do love the look of it, whatever it is.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Yeah I know, I guess I just figured that the guy cut the strat horn into a tele horn. But I bet it's either a custom shop deal or basically a home made parts bucket guitar. Personally, I love a guitar that can make one think they know that it is but then take a double take and rethink it. I love to make 'em think "what is that thing".
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

Forum Member

Yep! A lot of people probably thought the same thing when they first saw Brian May's trademark guitar (back in the days when you couldn't buy a replica, that is). And judging from your build thread, you're on your way to having one of those "where did he get that?" guitars yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Yep! A lot of people probably thought the same thing when they first saw Brian May's trademark guitar (back in the days when you couldn't buy a replica, that is). And judging from your build thread, you're on your way to having one of those "where did he get that?" guitars yourself.
    Yeah, it's kinda what I do. Remember my two teisco guitars?

Kimberly:

Kingston:

And also recall my mostly home made cherrywood strat-o-tele:

Yeah, I am facinated by unique and funky/rare guitars. I would love to try out Eastwood's saturn V guitar someday.

yet I still would like to have a good quality plain 'ol Fender strat or Jazzmaster one day.

I'm hopeless...

Forum Member

Nice ones! I wouldn't mind a couple of "What is that thing" guitars myself -- I'd love to have a Gibson Corvus, if only for that conversation-piece factor.

A gibson whaaaa???

even the name sounds obscure. I wouldn't mind haveing some fender odities like a coronado ect...

Forum Member

Yep, Gibson Corvus.

Reminds me a tiny bit of an Ovation Breadwinner -- another odd guitar I wouldn't mind having someday, just for the fun of it.

I'd never heard of a Corvus until I played Guitar Hero 3 -- it's one of the guitars you can buy in the game if you make enough money.

looks a bit like a gold fish cracker with it's mouth open!

-just tilt your head to the right.

I also dig them old guild electrics. ya know some of then even had a guitar stand built right into the guitar.

Forum Member

I remember when I first started taking lessons, I was talking to my teacher about Guild electrics, and I said something like "Does Guild make acoustics, too"?

He just looked at me like I was stupid.

Funny, when I was a kid my dad only ever had guild accoustics- so i was shocked to find out in highschool or so that they made some really kick ass electric guitars. only recently have i had a chance to try one though.
    Last edited by Jonnda; 10-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.

my friend has one of those corvus guitars. man are they ugly in person... but it's kind of hard not to like it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

The guitar James Valentine is usung is called a "Telstar", made by the boutique guitar shop Destroy All Guitars. There's a thread about it on The Gear Page and the manufacturer's link is HERE.

Cool, but WAY too much coin for what it is (nearly 4G's!!). Fugly peghead to boot!

Build something from USACG like a 51-STP or TLS for that hybrid feel, get it finished in a relic style, put in the best pickups and hardware available, and you'll have a totally custom ride and still be $2,000 ahead of the game. Or... mod an S-51 and put the rest of the cash under your mattress. JMHO.
    Last edited by AndyGio; 10-05-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Forum Member

THANK YOU!

Heh. I knew somebody would eventually show up with the info on that guitar. Very cool. Too bad it's so expensive. I hope it plays and sounds like nearly four grand, and doesn't just look like it.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    THANK YOU!

Heh. I knew somebody would eventually show up with the info on that guitar. Very cool. Too bad it's so expensive. I hope it plays and sounds like nearly four grand, and doesn't just look like it.
    You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help. Nice to be back on TFF.