Thread: How to fix up a live demo recording?

How to fix up a live demo recording?

Hey, I used my Boss BR-600 a while back to record the band live. My biggest complaint, is that it sounds echo-y. I still have the original tracks on my recorder, as well as exporting to a wav file on my computer.

Can someone give me some ideas to use the recorder or a PC program to EQ and prepare for CD.

This is my first time recording, so I'm not expecting great results. But I do want the recording to be good enough to play for bar owners, etc.

Thanks,

Cyber

Re: How to fix up a live demo recording?

My experience tells me that you can always "add" things to a raw recording, but subtracting elements from the source is difficult without also removing elements that you want to preserve.

Your best solution at this point is definately EQ cuts, but because echos are at the same frequency range as the band source, you won't be able to do much without also removing the actual band.

It might be possible to pass the file through a compressor/limiter, if the echoes are sufficiently low enough (compared to the source) and remove some of the noise floor, but it will probably wind up sounding choppy.

The best solution (that you really don't want to hear, because you already know the answer) is to learn from this recording how to make a better recording, and then do it again.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotech View Post
    The best solution (that you really don't want to hear, because you already know the answer) is to learn from this recording how to make a better recording, and then do it again.
    you won't be able to take away the echo, it's there, you have to deal with it. you can always add "ambience" in, but to try to take it away, is useless.

mic technique is everything, no matter how much you EQ or compress, it won't fix the problem. you can't polish a turd.

try it again, and see if it is better.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

In my experience you can't fix a track with too much reverb.

Thanks for the replies,

I'll work with some EQing and try to make it better. But if not, I'll just scrap it.

Thanks.

i hope you didn't take my comment as saying YOUR recording sounded bad, i was just using a figure of speech.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

ran across this the other night and thought of this thread...might help.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26771
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook