Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are Teles just...more toneful than Strats?

Forum Member

Why are Teles just...more toneful than Strats?

Well, the question says it all, at least in my experience.

I own, and have owned, truly the creme of the crops as far as Stratocasters go: early Cunetto relic Strats, more recent Masterbuilt ones, real pre-CBS ones (a '64 and a '65, both cosmetically terrible but amazing players), early MIJ pieces with super lightweight 1 piece ash bodies, you name it.

Among Fender guitars, I have played Strats exclusively for the past 10 years, because of my prejudice that Teles are simply "not rock'n'roll enough".

Then, in 2006 I bought a CS "Keefcaster" replica, 6.6 lbs, with the loudest, most microphonic bridge pickup I've ever heard, and an acoustic tone at least twice as loud and resonant as any other solid body I own.

Now, this Tele is my #1 player, my go-to guitar for all those situations when I don't know what I am going to play, and it delivers all the time, and its tone is just so much richer, fuller yet cutting through the mix, unforgiving yes, but so much more satisfying than any of my Strats.

Why???

Re: Why are Teles just...more toneful than Strats?

Because.......Teles have a different tone. The pickups are different, one is set in the bridge assembly which changes a whole bunch, many are ash with maple necks (another big influence).....

I do not think they have more tone. A Strat has its own tone.

I find myself liking the Tele more one day and then the Strat and equally sometimes the Les Paul or the ES 335

Mabe the simple answer is that the tone is in the mood, the situation you are in at the moment and then it sounds, well, good....

Yeah?
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

For years I played primarily Strats but always kept a Tele for when I needed one.

Then I got a tweed amp. That changed how I felt about all of my guitars and it trickled down to my other amps.

Now I play primarily a Tele and keep a Strat for when I need one!

The Tele has a stronger, more cutting tone and a Strat can sound kind of reedy.

Sort of like a trumpet compared to a saxophone (I prefer the trumpet).

Why are Teles just...more toneful than Strats?
    Because Teles rule. That is all...

Actually, two factors that I consider important to the characteristic tone of a tele are:

1) The bridge. The tele bridge is a big chunk of metal, with a lot of contact with the body. Compare this to a strat -- again, arguably a big chunk of metal, but attached very differently. I've got a hardtail strat; it has a characteristically different timbre than my trem strats, and also different from a tele.

2) The pickups are configured differently from a strat. As compared to strat pickups, the tele neck pickup has a narrower coil, housed in a metal box. The tele bridge pickup has a wider coil, with (usually) a metal baseplate attached. All of these things make for a different-sounding pickup. If you compare the "signature tone" of a strat vs. a tele vs. a jazzmaster vs. something with P-90's, you will notice they each have their own vibe. No matter what they say, the size of your coil does matter.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

In my opinion, It's primarily a factor of reflective energy. A Tele has its strings directly coupled to the body allowing the energy of the strings to help induce sympathetic vibrations in the body which are then amplified via the pickups, which are also directly coupled to the body (in most cases, but not all; i.e. the neck pickup on some Teles are mounted to the guard).

Meanwhile, a Strat's strings are directly coupled to the headstock because on (most) Strats the other end of the strings are connected to vibration dampening springs. The pickups are mounted to the pickguard, and for all but the most acute of ears, only pickup the direct vibrations of the strings (not the sympathetic vibrations from the body).

Of course, these factors are not always present in every model of either guitar. Many Strat owners have either blocked their trem's, or switched to hardtail bridges. Likewise, there are many examples of "super strat's" that do not have a pickguard. Equally, there are many Tele owners who have factory or aftermarket Bigby trems installed (although the string coupling with a Bigsby unit is not as hindered as the typical Strat trem units).

My opinion on this matter doesn't reflect a preference of Tele over Strat, or vice versa. Both have unique characteristics due to their design, and both are equally exceptional in their respective highlights. I own both styles, and play both styles. One is not better than the other, they're just different.
    POO DAT!!!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

because Teles are manly and Strats are girly

because a tele can be thrown down in a pool of beer in the corner of the bar and he will jump right up and bark in in perfect tune

whereas a Strat must be gingerly placed in her plush case in a smoke free environment and she will still moan and complain out of tune

I think your Stetson must be too tight. I prefer the sound of a Strat over a Tele any day.

Ron
    "What we need are more people who specialize in the impossible "- Theodore Roethke

TFF Stage Crew

They're not.

Teles generally sound beefier than strats, but they don't react well to serious levels of distortion.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Because Bill Frisell plays them.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I prefer the simpleness of a Tele - you can’t hide anywhere with it – lovely clear tone at the bridge. But then – I can’t get a decent sound from the neck pickup so I pull out the Strat. But I can’t get a smooth sustain from the Strat so I get out the Les Paul. But the Les Pauls too delicate (read expensive) so I grab the beat up old Ibanez. Lovely guitar, parellel/series humbuckers – split coils locking twem but………………….I cant get that true single coil sound so I pull out the Tele................................

Around and around it goes. They’re all good – but different. I’m pleased to be able to have such choice

Forum Member

Teles good. Strats good. Especially when the player knows their differences, and how to make them work. They're both great (But when push comes to shove, I grab the Tele. )

When "push comes to shove", the Tele makes for a superior battle axe.
    POO DAT!!!

I like em both!
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Teles generally sound beefier than strats, but they don't react well to serious levels of distortion.
    Ahhh, the wisdom. Do you think Iron Maiden and Judas Priest never played Teles???

Strats are girly? So, Jimmy Hendrix, SRV, David gilmore, Eric Clapton etc... Play/played girly Guitars? I don´t think so!I think both of the designes have their pros and cons but both are very god instruments for different tone and style, love´m both!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Neel View Post
    Teles good. Strats good. Especially when the player knows their differences, and how to make them work. They're both great (But when push comes to shove, I grab the Tele. )
    +1, but the other way for me.

:-)
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Love 'em both!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

I'm a big fan of the bridge and neck pickup combined.

Even when modified to get that combination, a Strat won't sound like a Tele.

[QUOTE=pseudocat;499067]Because Teles rule. That is all...

+1

"Why?"

Well, for starters, there’s the psychological subtext you laid out in the first five paragraphs of your post.

I love Teles too. I've had two great MIJ Teles, built one that's better than half way to being oh so right. I've read all the articles where such and such a player said this and that about them, and that whole "unforgiving" business.
    I'm with 71818.

Any guitar that excites a player to bring about and experience this tonefulness is beleived to be "more toneful" than the guitar he doesn't like or is maybe a little tired of.
    Whatever "toneful" even means.

The main thing is having a guitar that makes you want to play.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I can't believe the question and the discussion. I feel like starting a thread claiming that blue is nicer than red.

Sheesh
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

just got a tele with humbuckers,im still getting used to it.definately some rowdy tones to be had with it but its still outnumbered by strats at my house...

I think Telecasters have more "punch" for rhythm work, and I spend 90% of a song playing rhythm, so that's important to me.

I had a slew of Strats years ago, but they didn't "fit" me, despite the fact that a lot of my favorite players & tones are associated with the Stratocaster.

So: no more Strats for me. I have an American Standard Telecaster and a G&L ASAT Special that get a good chunk of my time.
    Time wounds all heels.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by surfreak View Post
    Well, the question says it all, at least in my experience.

I own, and have owned, truly the creme of the crops as far as Stratocasters go: early Cunetto relic Strats, more recent Masterbuilt ones, real pre-CBS ones (a '64 and a '65, both cosmetically terrible but amazing players), early MIJ pieces with super lightweight 1 piece ash bodies, you name it.

Among Fender guitars, I have played Strats exclusively for the past 10 years, because of my prejudice that Teles are simply "not rock'n'roll enough".

Then, in 2006 I bought a CS "Keefcaster" replica, 6.6 lbs, with the loudest, most microphonic bridge pickup I've ever heard, and an acoustic tone at least twice as loud and resonant as any other solid body I own.

Now, this Tele is my #1 player, my go-to guitar for all those situations when I don't know what I am going to play, and it delivers all the time, and its tone is just so much richer, fuller yet cutting through the mix, unforgiving yes, but so much more satisfying than any of my Strats.

Why???
    Depends on the Tele.

This guy has a killer-sounding Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by 121064 View Post
    I actually like the sound that lead guitar player is getting out of his Les Paul Junior too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I can't believe the question and the discussion. I feel like starting a thread claiming that blue is nicer than red.

Sheesh
    Yes, one of the age old questions that keeps one busy......I was always confronted with the brash statement in 1st grade that someone else's father was cooler than mine - I did not buy that crap for a minute.......

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    Yes, one of the age old questions that keeps one busy......I was always confronted with the brash statement in 1st grade that someone else's father was cooler than mine - I did not buy that crap for a minute.......

Well speakin' for myseff, as a kid in 1957 whose dad was a "yankee air pirate", it didn't git much "cooler" than that......'til the kid across the street told me his dad had been a Seabee. Then he an' I found out that the fellow next door to him rode into Bastogne with General Patton. An' so it went......

Sh*t, no matter what comes outta my keyboard tonight re kickin' this particular can fulla crawdads over is gonna sound like blasphemy. So I'll jus' STFU an' save some bandwidth. It's all a matter of perspective anyways......

Forum Member

tele good Strat much better. Hence the Leo progression from Broadcaster to Stratocaster.

When I was growing up in Nashville, I hated Teles, because I hated country. It SEEMED like rockers played Strats; country players used Teles. Boy was I wrong.

Now I love that Tele twang and it's chainsaw rhythm. I've mostly owned Strats, but I've got a bad case of Tele GAS.

I honestly think the difference comes from that fact that a Tele, IMHO and experience, requires you to push the amp a bit harder to get a good sound. Once the amp starts working overtime, everything sounds better.

With a Strat I can lay off the amp a bit and get more of a pure guitar sound that I like. It isn't as ballsey, but it's nice in it's own way. It's - Stratty. A Strat has more natural sustain from the springs, and I can use a lighter touch and play with a bit more detail, but I'm still more fond of the Tele. With a Tele and a good amp you can really have a ball.

Interestingly, when I record I generally use modelers and find the Strat is the best choice for me, but live, with the amp cranking, I am exclusivley a Tele and Esquire player. That seems to be in harmony with the way I approach the two instruments. I think a Strat is a better beginner's instrument, since it is easier to play and more forgiving of technique. Once you reach a level of competency either can be just as good and it's simply a matter of which axe floats your boat.

About a Strat being easier for a beginner. Walk into a GC and you'll eventually hear somebody playing Hendrix or SRV note-for-note - and sounding pretty much like either of them. And often these are guys that can't actually play, but have simply memorized the fingerings and dialed in a tone. Seldom, if ever however, do you hear some guy pick up a Tele and lay down some convincing John Jorgensen or Albert Collins. That's the difference.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schtang View Post
    tele good Strat much better. Hence the Leo progression from Broadcaster to Stratocaster.
    Depends on who's playing them...

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Neel View Post
    Depends on who's playing them...
    Da's da fac, Jack!

Examples:

Joe Walsh -- big Les Paul man, right? Well hold on to yer bean-bag chair......most of his work on the first two James Gang albums was done with a Tele, plugged into a Vibroverb.

Jeff Beck -- has a Strat bearing his name, eh? His early work (arguably his best) was done with The Yardbirds......all Esquire/Tele for the most part.

Jimmy Page -- On stage, usually a Les Paul. But the solo to rock's now most-nauseating rock "anthem" was played on (you guessed it) a Fender Telecaster.

I could go on but why bother? It's not the type of toy that makes the music -- it's the soul of the player.

Gnome saing???

Quote Originally Posted by Schtang View Post
    Does that mean a Jazzmaster is better than either of them? Or a Jaguar is better than all three?

Hmmmmmm, that is a fair point in this interesting discussion......at least it is a good excuse for me when trying to make another guitar puchase

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    About a Strat being easier for a beginner. Walk into a GC and you'll eventually hear somebody playing Hendrix or SRV note-for-note - and sounding pretty much like either of them. And often these are guys that can't actually play, but have simply memorized the fingerings and dialed in a tone. Seldom, if ever however, do you hear some guy pick up a Tele and lay down some convincing John Jorgensen or Albert Collins. That's the difference.

Well, one might argue that Hendrix and SRV are *slightly* more popular than John Jorgenson, so chances are that more people play their music, regardless of the type of guitar they play...

But anyway, I agree with your other points on the Tele's tonal merits and the healthy struggle of playing it "properly", especially live.

What I also experience is that certain Strat tones are so indelebly associated with certain players, songs and styles of music that when I pick a Strat, I am almost automatically restricted in my phrasing: neck pickup, and most likely I'd play something in the style of Hendrix or SRV, middle+bridge and it's some sloppy Knopfleresque licks, middle+neck and 9 times out of 10 you'll hear some Little Wing mannerisms...

With the Tele instead, I rather try to find my own voice and choice of notes, and that's what makes it so satisfying: for a moment, I am not a hopelessly derivative guitar laborer, and I actually make an effort to be a better musician.

Forum Member

I love my Suhr "Strat" but it's weird, I seem to gravitate back to my G&L ASAT Classic. Lately I've been doing allot of playing without a pick, the ASAT lets me play chords in a way that make them sound like someone else accompanying me because of the contrast of a note picked with the tip of my finger or a nail to a strum or softly plucked. The subtly is beautiful, very satisfying. I almost feel like I'm playing a Gibson L5 or something.

My Suhr can really do it's thing well, very rich and full, but in a Strat way. Lighter tone, more air. But the range of dynamics is narrower than the ASAT. That being said, I own the Suhr because there are things I want to do on that I can't do with my ASAT. Same reason I have a LP.

I don't really buy into the Tele > Strat timeline means it's better.
    Different yes, better no. That would imply that the name ASAT (After Strat After Tele) would mean it's better than any Tele that Leo designed prior to that. (this is where owner bias comes in ;-) I'm sure some vintage Tele owners would argue with that.

Embrace the differences.

- HR

Saw this tidbit on Gibson's Lifestyle pages:

...it’s sobering to consider that the archetypal early “classic Hendrix tones” that sent many a kid out in search of a late-’60s Strat, namely the solos on “Hey Joe” and “Purple Haze” from the first album, Are You Experienced, weren’t played on a Stratocaster at all: They were played on a Fender Telecaster borrowed from bandmate Noel Redding.

I think "Fire" was also a Tele, CHW.

It's just proof that a lot of Hendrix's sound was in his fingers. I have to admit that I've been wrong a lot of times about what guitar who is playing. It doesn't help that I've heard two convincing stories: one that says Jimmy Page played a Tele on "Stairway," another equally convincing that he played a Strat.