Thread: Any love for the Gretsch Electromatic series (5120)?

Any love for the Gretsch Electromatic series (5120)?

While not strictly a Fender, a "distributed by FMIC" tag is hopefully good enough to meet TFF's criteria for "Other Fender Guitars"...

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a one year old G5120 (MIK version of the G6120), with case, for a pretty decent deal.

HC reviews are fairly positive but does anyone on TFF have any experience with these guitars?

Good or bad, let me know.

Thanks...

DD, out.

Re: Any love for the Gretsch Electromatic series (5120)?

I've got one of the earlier limited run models in orange.
    The original parts are basically gone. Only the tuners and the knobs are left.
    Swapped the pickups for a P90 (neck) and a filter in the bridge. Rewired it. Changed the crap B70 for a late '50s B6, changed the bridge for a recent Gretsch Synchrosonic.

It's a very, very well made instrument. I really wasn't impressed with the quality of the hardware on mine. Perhaps the new ones are better.
    The Gretschbuckers were awful, IMHO.

Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    I've got one of the earlier limited run models in orange.
    The original parts are basically gone. Only the tuners and the knobs are left.
    Swapped the pickups for a P90 (neck) and a filter in the bridge. Rewired it. Changed the crap B70 for a late '50s B6, changed the bridge for a recent Gretsch Synchrosonic.

It's a very, very well made instrument. I really wasn't impressed with the quality of the hardware on mine. Perhaps the new ones are better.
    The Gretschbuckers were awful, IMHO.

Tommy.
    Thanks Tommy - by very very well made, you're talking about the body, neck, frets etc? It's a playable guitar, right?

How did you find the vintage Bigsby changed the guitar for you?

I'd see myself considering Filter'Trons and possibly better tuners. But I'd play it for a while before doing anything drastic...

DD

Well the original Bigsby that was on it was far too stiff. It needed a ton of movement just to get a semitone of warble out of it. I've gotten pretty good at setting Bigsbys up as I own three but I could never get that one to feel good.
    I think I am perhaps spolied by the B3 on my 1954 Duo Jet.
    The bridge swap made more of a difference to the tone and all round playability and tunign stability. Though it's changed to a floating TOM now, mine was pinned. The new bridge should (though I've never played one) offer a great improvement over my original studded one.

It's just a great guitar though. Fit and finish is excellent and the fretwork is, literally, flawless. With better pickups and hardware I feel mine is very gretsch like in a way it originally wasn't. It's certainly as good as any Japanese Gretsch I've played.

I have the 5128 or something, you know, the red hollowbody Electromatic. I don't have a thing to complain about with it. The pick ups are just fine and so's the rest of the hardware. I think the actually 5120s (not the 51xx series) is a bit different in that they seem to sit by themselves in a lower price niche. I like the orange color though. Why not drop over to the Gretsch forum and ask those guys about it? Nice bunch over there.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Yeah, the 5128 has Dearmonds right? That should be much better from the outset.
    The 'buckers just sounded muddy and stiff.

thanks lads...I'll check out that Gretsch forum...

DD

I think they are pretty neat, we got a few in the store I work in, fiddled with them a few times and definitely a cool guitar for the loot. All of 'em I've seen have been put together well and play pretty good from the factory. Frets looked great too. Thinkin' 'bout pickin' a Red one up next time they come in. I guess that'll hold me over till I can afford a "White Falcon"
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

I really liked the first round of those that came out, with the DeArmonds and the fixed bridge.

On the newer ones I still prefer the DeArmonds over the buckers.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Yeah, the Dearmonds make a difference.

I'd love to have a set of TV Jones in there though.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Well, I pulled the trigger on it. It's perfect, in mint condition, stock, Orange. Came with a nice brown tolex archtop case. Sweet! Played it non-stop for two hours today through each of my amps...

Guy who owned it owns a local guitar shop. Setup was nice, intonation was spot on, Bigsby well set up. He put Elixer 10's on it.

I like it but will be keeping the various mods in mind in the coming months...hmmm, DeArmond or TV Jones?

DD

A bit late, but for what it's worth, I've played my Brother's orange 5120 and agree about the quality of the guitar for the money. I was having GAS for one until I discovered he had bought one and I had a chance to try it. We both were disappointed with the H/B pickups. A set of DeArmonds should make it a totally different beast.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I like it but will be keeping the various mods in mind in the coming months...hmmm, DeArmond or TV Jones?
    Well they're totally different. Both Gretsch-y and great, but very different.
    A Dearmond sounds like the best Tele bridge pup you'll ever hear and a filter sounds like the best 'bucker you'll ever hear.

Clearly, one of each is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post

Clearly, one of each is the way forward.
    Clearly!!

DD