Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How rare is a '63 Vibroverb?

Re: How rare is a '63 Vibroverb?

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    You don't think the 10F150 would drown out the 10A125?
    It might. I haven't mixed those speakers. But with my experience with the 10A125 and 10F125 (and the 10A150) the ceramics tend to have more high end bite, and so I think the spectrum should be nice.

Hmmm, maybe I should put my 10A150 into my 10A125-loaded bandmaster.....
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Actually, when this VV came in it had one very old oxford ceramic and one very old P10Q, both blown. That would equate roughly to a Weber 10F125 and 10A125, but I can see Ted's p10N logic. The 10A150 is louder than the 10A125, though warmer.

If it were mine I'd try a 10F150 and a 10A150, both 50 watt w/ light dope. But if you like a lot of high end w/o turning the treble up I'd make the alnico a 10A150T. I just think the 150 alnico series are so much better (fuller sounding) than the 125 series that they're worth the extra dough.

My friend is currently running an Emi Cajun and an old Pyle ceramic that is very similar to a 10F150T. We likes the Cajun, but not the Pyle - too 'strident.' The Cajun is a weird love/hate speaker. We love em, but I wouldn't run one by itself.

We ran the VV through my 2x10 cab (100 watt Mich alnico and 60 watt Cali ceramic) and it sounded killer. But I thought the Cali was a tad bright (w/ the treble turned up). A LOT of people like the Cali 10 ceramic, but in a non-tweed Fender amp I personally like something w/ a tad more mids, like the vintage series.

It all depends upon what sound you are going for and what amp settings and pedals/gear you use. Lots of variables in choosing speakers.

I'm going to change to a 10A150 and 10F150 combo.

Forum Member

I have recently acquired a very nice original Vibroverb amp (S/N 00367) - but not before I had read much of this thread over and over. The fact that I didn't understand much of what was being discussed (and still don't) never dampened my enthusiasm for wanting to own my own original VV eventually.

I do realize the relative scarcity of this amp and that not too many people have owned them, but why has this thread suddenly gone so quiet?

Reading the thread from the beginning, we shared the beautiful photos provided by 'Bill'. We read also from a number of regular posters. Where are you all now? The window on the 'Vibroverb' world has become silent.

Did 'wingnut' ever build his amp? Does 'Bill' still own his 00566?

I know some other sites frown upon the reopening of so called 'zombie' threads, but in a world of less than 600 amps, this thread was and still is perhaps the best reference source, carrying a wealth of information on the original 1963 Vibroverb.

How about some updates from the key characters who were responsible for the earlier postings on this thread? This was your thread.

I will then feel a little more comfortable in adding my two cents, asking a few questions and perhaps posting a few photos. As old as I am, my VV learning curve is just beginning. I am as excited as you folks hopefully still are.

Thank you to all the earlier posters for all the knowledge you willingly shared. I sincerely hope that most of you are still active VV'ers!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I for one would love to see pics of your '63 Vibroverb, Tony.

I recently acquired my own '64 Vibroverb clone and an all-original '64 Pro Amp since this thread began and have been gigging them both regularly. I run them in tandem and they sound great together.

So let's take a look at your new rig.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Thanks for your reply phantomman. You seem to have some outstanding amps of your own.

In regards to my Vibroverb, I know virtually nothing of its past history, but it does seem to have been well cared for. There have been some mods made for safety reasons, - a three cord power line being the one I have noticed so far, and the one I would have expected. I also see 5881's in there. No doubt a number of tubes will have been replaced in the past 48 years. So far everything seems to be working fine, including the foot switch, although I have yet to open up the chassis to see what might be lurking inside there. It does sound great however.

I have one question so far, in regard to the speakers. My #00367 does not have the Oxford speakers normally associated with this amp, but rather has what appear to be correct 'period' Jensens.

The number appearing on the speakers would indicate a 1963 series Jensen, i.e #220348 where 220=Jensen 3=1963 and 48 is the week of that year.

I am hoping this is not a bad thing. The speakers do show signs of having been previously installed elsewhere (see the mounting hole wear), but show no signs of damage.

Now for some hastily taken photos. The shortening and cold Canadian days have forced me to take indoor shots. These are not always my first choice.

Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Forum Member

...and some shots of the Vibroverb chassis that I just opened up. Much easier than many others I've opened.

.... and always happy to see a little dust with no obvious problems, although those RCA connectors do look a little flimsy these days!

Any comments are welcome.

She's a beaut, Tony!

As for the replacement Jensen C10Q's, I wouldn't give them a second thought -- especially if you are actively using this amp for jams, gigs, or recording. The Jensens sound much more "musical" than the Oxford 10K5's IMO. It looks like your footswitch is a replacement as all of the original brownface Vibroverbs I've seen were shipped with a switch that was all brown -- housing, "zip-cord" cable, even the nylon strain relief grommet on the housing. The chassis is remarkably clean and seems to be completely unmolested. The cab is also in amazingly pristine condition -- did the amp live its previous life totally in a studio or somebody's closet?

You've got a near museum-grade specimen there!

Nice! The 3 blue/1 red cap, are replacements. The other non-stock components are due to normal maintenance (board, bias supply electrolytics). I would assume the power supply electrolytics have also been replaced? The cabinet is remarkably clean!

Holy canoli...that is so schaweeeet.

I had the chance to play one of those years ago. One of the best sounding amps ever...

I love the Fender era when they were just putting the reverb and tremolo together and when there were different optics with the browns and blondes...so much I created my own with a great deal of help from phantomman...

"Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

I love what you've done with that amp, Erock.

It's just so......perfect.

I've got another "Spankmaster" project on the front burner......

All I need now is a Sea Foam Green Jazzmaster!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    She's a beaut, Tony!

As for the replacement Jensen C10Q's, I wouldn't give them a second thought -- especially if you are actively using this amp for jams, gigs, or recording. The Jensens sound much more "musical" than the Oxford 10K5's IMO. It looks like your footswitch is a replacement as all of the original brownface Vibroverbs I've seen were shipped with a switch that was all brown -- housing, "zip-cord" cable, even the nylon strain relief grommet on the housing. The chassis is remarkably clean and seems to be completely unmolested. The cab is also in amazingly pristine condition -- did the amp live its previous life totally in a studio or somebody's closet?

You've got a near museum-grade specimen there!

Thank you for those kind comments and observations phantomman. Unfortunately I know very little of this amps history. It came available locally through a highly respectable dealer and had been checked over by them. I shall ask more questions, but dealer confidentiality etc., etc ...

The RCA style corded foot switch does carry an 'old' label ie. 'vib' and 'rev, but is either nickel or chrome plated. It is also has a fairly old looking patina - but it is not brown. I will keep out an eye for a brown one however.

Erock : Thank you too for your positive feedback, You are right she is very "schaweeeet" and I feel fortunate to have been given the opportunity to acquire her.

Ampdan: Good eye, and thanks for the observations you made. This is all good info for my records.

Thank you so much, to all you good folks. I am learning more about this amp after the fact, than I did before I took the plunge ... however I did have a good feeling about it, and after seeing other amps that have been made available on line etc., I perhaps made the right choice.

To phantomman: Your silver face"Spankmaster" DeLuxe Reverb looks to be in amazing shape. Another really outstanding amp. I guess she sounds as good as she looks too. I know for sure she is in the hands of a real enthusiast i.e good hands! Enjoy it.

Erock: That is one beautiful 'piggy-back' set up you have created there. Geez, you and phantomman should go into production if this is what you two can produce. I'm sure she sounds fantastic. I just love it - I want one! Oddly enough, I had been looking at a 'sixties' blonde 'piggy back' Bassman when I was originally introduced to the Vibroverb. The Bassman was a little (very) 'tired' looking - well quite scruffy really, with a few bits missing. Nevertheless I was very tempted, as she still sounded fine. Had she looked anything like yours, I know for sure I would have taken the plunge and would never have seen the Vibroverb I eventually acquired.

Are there no more 'VV' tales out there? What happened to all the Vibroverbs we read about in those earlier posts? Over the past week or so I have read and re-read this thread many times, as I pored over everything I could lay my hands on re the 63 Vibroverbs. I now feel as if I know some of the amps out there. Please ..... let's have an update! Let's have a 'Vibroverb' party.

Stealth move Rog.
    Start a new thread...it deserves it!

Forum Member

Hi Tony,

I still have mine. It would not be a source of cash unless things got very bad for us. I have had it so long it's like part of my life and something I'd be very unlikely to part with.

Your amp really looks great, congratulations on the purchase. I thought my amp was in great cosmetic shape but yours looks to be cleaner yet. Do you know if any of the cabinet hardware as been replaced? Some of mine is definitely showing some minor rust and the glides were very worn.

Thanks for your additions to this old thread. It was actually my first contribution to this forum when I was trying to learn about my VV.........Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I love what you've done with that amp, Erock.

It's just so......perfect.

I've got another "Spankmaster" project on the front burner......

All I need now is a Sea Foam Green Jazzmaster!

Jesus phantomman.....you have got to be the luckiest.

I have hunting for a aluminum frame Pro Reverb like that but pickings are thin here. Bunches of Blackface ones out there but they want silly money for them.

I am now thinking of doing the Pigmaster treatment on an SRRI I have in BF Blonde/Wheat (no Wheat/Gold to be found) but would rather sell the SRRI if I find the said Pro Reverb...

On the other hand, I have been hankering for a Marshall again. Nothng beats the soud of a driven EL34 for some hard rock....(50 watts of course)
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

"I know a secret!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    Hi Tony,

I still have mine........ I have had it so long it's like part of my life and something I'd be very unlikely to part with.

Your amp really looks great ....... Do you know if any of the cabinet hardware as been replaced?

Thanks for your additions to this old thread. It was actually my first contribution to this forum when I was trying to learn about my VV.........Bill
    Thank you for your kind reply Bill.
    I am so pleased that you still have your original '63 Vibroverb, and even happier to hear that you will not be parting with it, short of some calamity, which hopefully isn't going to happen.

Oddly enough you started this thread when trying to learn 'stuff' about your newly acquired amp. That's exactly how I found myself after hitting many, many 'search' buttons and continually coming up empty handed. Eventually I found your thread, which became a 'light-bulb' kind of moment for me. At that point (a week or two ago), I had not yet taken the plunge on the 'nice' '63 Vibroverb I had seen, as I was franticly trying to come up with some creative economics.

As I said earlier, I read the whole 'How rare ..." thread through many times over a short period of time. Perhaps not quite the 'Dead sea scrolls', but to me personally, 'your' thread with all the knowledge and information it contained, and all in one place, had a great effect on me. I finally decided to 'go for it'. For that I thank you, and hope that others too will find this motherlode of '63 Vibroverb information, to be of similar help.

OK, now to answer a couple of questions. I still know very little of the history of this amp and whether or not it is 'as made' in 1963 or has had some updating.

The plated metal fittings (legs, top chassis straps, the corner protectors, etc.), all have an 'old' look, with minor scratchings, when examined closely. The logo is similar to the one I have on a blonde 2000 Vibro-King, but again the Vibroverb logo looks older and has a 'patina' which the newer amp doesn't yet have.
    The brown tolex is in excellent shape, but does have some minor markings here and there which tells me it isn't new and has seen some use. Inside the cabinet and chassis, everything (apart from old dust and grime) looks to be original, and in excellent shape - although ampdan did spot some replacement caps. Like cars, some things will just wear out and have to be replaced. This is acceptable to a degree.

I've examined the tolex closely and compared it to the blonde Vibro-King and it is applied in a similar fashion except for some minor variations. Whether they have always followed the same method of tolex covering application, I do not know.

The only wear issues I can see, are where the RCA footswitch connectors are attached to the shielded wires. The shielding is a little rough and perhaps should be resoldered.
    I am currently looking for a brown footswitch (mine has a 'nickel' plated finish) with new wires and connectors, which should take care of that problem.

The original 'Oxford' (I assume) speakers have been replaced by 1963 Jensen C10Q's - which arguably is not a 'negative' change, and is something that could easily be reversed.

Other than that I, think that is it. I am very happy with my 'new' amp, which BTW will not be gigged or otherwise going on too many 'walkabouts', but will instead, be looked afer with a certain degree of well earned TLC.

On another note, I think I will continue to post on Bill's original thread, as long as the postings are pertinent to Vibroverbs in general or in the general interest of other 'Vibroverbista' - at least that is, as long as we are allowed to.
    Last edited by tonyj; 11-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.