Thread: Drop the coin on a tone tubby

Forum Member

Drop the coin on a tone tubby

Well, since I've been playing my 5E3's I've been getting into the details of my playing and tone. It's a great platform for becoming an audiophile! ;-)

So after some research and the fact that I'd been selling all of my pedals I thought I'd try a tone tubby alnico in my 12 watt.

I just got it yesterday and already I love it.
    Really smooth, rich tone. Also seems quite a bit louder than other speakers I've tried.

It has such nice full tone that I seem to be using less breakup for fat tone. The notes seem to 'connect' better.

My enjoyment of tweeds keeps growing, sometimes I wish I would have found them earlier in my life, but I'm not sure I would have been ready for them.

FedEx will deliver my 25 watt chassis back to me today with a Paul-C and tone mod, then this EVM12L with get dropped in that one!
    Never know until I try it. ;-)

Rock - n- Roll!

- HR

Re: Drop the coin on a tone tubby

Oh no. Like I need to hear this!! I'm trying to sell gear right now!

Seriously, that's good to hear. I've got a Clark 5E3 clone that is the cat's ass. It's got a Weber in there right now but I too have always been intrigued by the Tone Tubby thing...
    s'all goof.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I built a few 5E3s and we kinda like the Weber 12A125 in there as a benchmark, but there are other good sounds too. An Emi Red Fang makes it very LOUD but maybe a bit sensitive/scratchy at low volume. My personal faves were an old 50s Jensen P12N, maybe somewhat like the Tubby, and a JBL D123. I also had a customer switch from a Weber 12A125 to a 12F125 and rave about the snappiness of that one. FWIW, I have one 10 inch Tubby ceramic in my 2x10 blackface cab and love it.

In my 2 5e3's I like a variety of things. Cannabis Rex is one of my favorites.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

I agree with the 12A125, it's a great speaker.
    For kicks I switched the 12A125 into my 6A20 (22w blackface) and the 12F150 from that into my 5E3. The 5E3 is now way louder and the 6A20 is now a touch quieter so everyone's a winner! Sounds great either way.

Tommy.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Best (for me - and quite a few others all in consensus) speaker I ever had/heard in a 6A20 was a well broken in Weber 12A150W (50 watt/no dope).

Cool! I'm thinking of a 6G3 at some point (if Ted ever gets round to releasing them!) so I might try that and mix them about a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    For kicks I switched the 12A125 into my 6A20 (22w blackface) and the 12F150 from that into my 5E3. The 5E3 is now way louder and the 6A20 is now a touch quieter so everyone's a winner! Sounds great either way.
    I bet that would be a KILLER stereo rig setup that way. Tweeds and Blackface together in stereo is like chocolate and peanut butter. Oh wait, y'all don't have peanut butter across the pond...umm...chocolate and something nutty-thick-creamy-buttery.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Cool! I'm thinking of a 6G3 at some point (if Ted ever gets round to releasing them!)
    I've always wanted to stuff a 6G3 in a HRDeluxe chassis. Too bad you still don't have your HRDlx.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Follow up: Drop the coin on a tone tubby

Well day two and I am almost at a loss for words about the sound of my 12 watt.

I've tried:
    Celestion Blue
    Weber 12A125-O
    Weber C-1230
    Weber Silver Bell 50 watt ceramic

And this by FAR (IMO) is head and shoulders above anything I've tried.
    My ears are still ringing. Smooth, fat, chimmy...

"uh yea, I'll take one with everything... thanks!"

- HR

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar
    I bet that would be a KILLER stereo rig setup that way. Tweeds and Blackface together in stereo is like chocolate and peanut butter. Oh wait, y'all don't have peanut butter across the pond...umm...chocolate and something nutty-thick-creamy-buttery.
    They sound cool hooked up together providing you use the blackface's Normal channel. The Vibrato channel is out of phase with the 5E3 and has some weird cancellation effects. Suppose I could switch the phase on the 5E3's speaker as it doesn't have nfb.
    How about ale and fish and chips? Sounds about right!

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar
    Too bad you still don't have your HRDlx.
    Man, first time I've ever heard that one! I think, once I get my 40W brownface and a 6G3 the amp collection would be about done, no? I'd have all three deluxes!

Tommy.