Thread: 2nd Zhangliqun Strat P-90 Clip

2nd Zhangliqun Strat P-90 Clip

I used more drive,and this time it's the rear pup alone.
    Makes my strat-o-tele sound like a Junior!
    Forget the clamfest playing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6889572
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Re: 2nd Zhangliqun Strat P-90 Clip

That sounds great, but I'd be hard pressed to say it sounded anything like a Strat. Which is neither a good or bad assessment, it just means that preconcieved notions of what a particular type of guitar will sound like can be shattered when said guitar is placed in the hands of someone who knows how to milk the tone from the instrument for all it is worth.

Great job on the playing, and I really liked the sound of the pickup/guitar/hands!
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotech View Post
    That sounds great, but I'd be hard pressed to say it sounded anything like a Strat. Which is neither a good or bad assessment, it just means that preconcieved notions of what a particular type of guitar will sound like can be shattered when said guitar is placed in the hands of someone who knows how to milk the tone from the instrument for all it is worth.

Great job on the playing, and I really liked the sound of the pickup/guitar/hands!

Thanks for the kind words!

I don't think the pup is supposed to sound like a strat,any more than putting a full sized 'bucker in a strat would.For those of us who like the feel of a Fender and the sound of a Jr.,this is the ticket.
    I wouldn't do it if this were my only strat!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

MY JAMS--

That's absolutely some beautiful playing Refin. I just about wept during 'Nawlins' and 'Ruff kid'. I have P90's (Harmonic Design VP-90's and Z-90's) in the bridge positions in all my strats, except one, but it certainly seems like the Zhangliqun have a grace and beauty that responded to your hands and gear. Nice work!!!

refin: just a first impression of what I think I'm hearing, not criticism -- since I've heard you tackle this backing a time or two... it sounds almost scooped or somehow 'flatter' to my tin ears. Sort of a uniform thick growl on the lower strings. There's sizzle on the high strings and a bit more clarity there. The character goes all tweedy (in a good way) when you switch to slide. Maybe it's a wound/unwound sort of reaction I'm hearing... and maybe it's not scooped at all, but a sort of mids-only hump? I know that sounds completely contradictory, but the harmonics don't sound as rich across the full spectrum as I seem to recall them in the other clip (or like I usually hear from you). Doesn't seem to cut-through or stand strong within the mix as easily. Still sounds great, just doesn't quite tickle as many frequencies as usual for you.

I think!

To my ears it sounds great for a strat bridge pickup of its own kind!

Thanks everyone for listening,and kind words.
    I didn't take the time to really tweak the J-Station to fit the new pickup,they were basically an "as is" patches.
    I want to do some more with this pup,possibly a clean recording.Like any great pup,it requires tweaking the amp/effects to bring out the best.
    The overall character of this P-90 wind is wonderful.

MY JAMS--

Good stuff - love the playing and the pickup :)

Thanks,SabuJSE!
    Zhang is working on a compatible neck model---can't wait to hear that one!

MY JAMS--

Refin,

I'm having problems installing my Zhang P90 strat pickup. I ordered one after hearing yours. Seems the metal pieces under the pup are too big for the strat routing, although I can't actually see for sure if that's the case. Any advice?

I'm liking that tone very much, but not as much as I like the playing! Very nice!

Who's zhangliqun again? How can I get more info on these?

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    I'm liking that tone very much, but not as much as I like the playing! Very nice!

Who's zhangliqun again? How can I get more info on these?
    He's an independent pickup winder out of Los Angeles, who really knows his stuff. He doesn't have a website or fancy ad copy anywhere, which all saves you $.

You can reach him by email at zhangbucker <at> yahoo.com
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

+1 on the really knows his stuff. I have multiple pickups from him and adore them all...

Hey everyone,sorry I'm just now responding

Madmoon,my Zhang pup fit right in the bridge position of a strat body (MIM).Is yours sitting too tall? What body are you putting it in?
    Contact David at zhangbucker@yahoo.com.I'll let him know you are having a problem,and maybe he'll respond here as well.
    He really knows tone,this guy.I've had 3 of his winds (tele,P-90,strat P-90),all sound great and he does super work.I just recieved some PAFs from him,haven't installed them yet,but I will tomorrow.

MY JAMS--

Refin, Thanks for the reply.

In haste, I loaded the pickguard and tried to place it on the body, but it wouldn't fit and I couldn't see why. Yesterday I found the pup is slightly too large for the bridge slot, due to the 2 metal pieces on the base. The guitar is an original '62 fender strat, the exception being I've replaced the original pickups (they gave up the ghost a few years ago) with Suhr FL standards and have tired several pickups in the bridge position to get a little more P90 growl and fatness.

I'll shoot David an email also and see what he thinks. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Madmoon, I was concerned that might be the case with some Strats. My own Strat that I test these in seems to have no problem with the fit, even though it's routed for pure single coil, but it's close enough that "your mileage may vary" and in your case it apparently does.

Yours is a vintage guitar so suggesting widening the rout just a touch is out of the question.

You could send it back to me and have me replace the Alnico bar (the shiny one) with another ceramic, but I tried it with two ceramics and though it's louder, it just doesn't sound as good. (I would have preferred two Alnico's but there's just no room for that.)

Go ahead and e-mail me and we'll work out either a refund or a suitable replacement, probably a really beefy standard design Strat pu, though a bit taller to hold the extra turns.

Forum Member

I missed this thread the first time around. Just listened to the clip, and damn!

Of course, the question is, how much of it is the pup and how much is refin? I know a whole lot of it is refin...but I also get the sense that's a pretty sweet pickup. Ultimately, I figure refin=a pickup's best friend. Refin+a bad pickup=good. Refin+a very good pickup=damn!

Those are just my uneducated and most certainly unsolicited impressions, of course.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Ultimately, I figure refin=a pickup's best friend. Refin+a bad pickup=good. Refin+a very good pickup=damn!

Those are just my uneducated and most certainly unsolicited impressions, of course.
    +1 Tone may be in the fingers, but it's also in the "damn!" that a great pickup can achieve.

ps: 'bet I know where those three buckers are going.

Forum Member

The cat can play...

Gee thanks,guys,your kindness is overwhelming.
    I can assure you that the tone you here in this clip IS the pup wind.One thing I notice about Zhang's P-90 winds is that two notes together blend,like two seperate guitars.....there's no ripping/tearing and oddball fequencies.Listen to around 2:16 on this clip.
    I have this strat P-90 wind and a stock P-90 wind,and both have that character.The stock one is in my mid '60s Melody Maker,and it will eat a Junior for lunch.
    David,you are da man!
    Last edited by refin; 12-10-2008 at 07:15 PM.

MY JAMS--

Damn.
    That's a really beefy sound to hear coming from the Strat bridge spot, but with great definition.

Nice playing, as usual.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Thanks NF......I appreciate it.
    David has never let me down.

MY JAMS--