Thread: DRRI Settings

Forum Member

DRRI Settings

Wanted to see if someone could provide some direction on initial setting for my amp? It is played at church and home. Knowing that it is a personal taste thing but where is a good starting point and then fine tune? Both in number one and two position. Also like blues and classic rock. My guitar is a deluxe strat.

Thanks
    The rev

Re: DRRI Settings

For a strat I keep the tone never above 5 and the bass never below 5.

The tone settings on the DRRI are very interactive, and unlike some tone stacks, are very wide-ranging. When I had a SFDR back in the day, I'd always run the mids at half and the lows and highs at about 3/4 with the bright switch disengaged. Gave a nice chimey and bright/present top end with nice full bass. However, if you're running volume higher than 5, you'll need to cut the bass frequencies down a bit, since the bass will become flubby because of the circuit's relatively low power and because of the single 12" speaker. You're not going to get the low-end wallop of a 4x12 cab.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I like to keep the bass low (around 3 on the knob) and the treble high (around 6-7) but I've always felt all Fender amps sound better that way. Let the bass player take care of the bass.
    You may prefer the treble lower on the bright channel than the normal channel

Forum Member

Thanks for your input and everyone have a blessed day.

The Rev

Forum Member

Humbuckers--volume at about 5, treble at 4-5, bass at 3-4

Single coil--volume at about 5, treble at 4 bass at 5-6

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'm with Telecustom on this one......pretty much the same tone control set-up. With a particularly bright Strat or traditional Tele ("real" SC pickups, maple fretboard, etc) I might fatten up the bottom a skosh, depending upon room acoustics.

HTH

Forum Member

On my silverface I use the reverb channel. With the volume between 4 and 8 I got the treble at 5 to 6, bass set 3-4. This is with a Tele or Strat, playing blues, rock, r&b, some country and gospel. With humbuckers you might adjust some. Also, the the newer reissues have a big, real efficient speaker, so that might cause a slight adjustment too.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by teleman55 View Post
    Also, the the newer reissues have a big, real efficient speaker, so that might cause a slight adjustment too.
    Indeed......even the variations between stock OEM speaker brands used in different production year runs (Jensen vs Eminence for example) are generally audible.

Hard to say specifically because the tone controls are soo interactive. They do influence the amount of breakup you get as well as the over all tone BUT in conjunction with the volume knob. What I mean by this is that the more you turn up the volume the more bass, mid and treb you get so you need to adjust for how much break up you want as well as your EQ needs. Its not uncommon to at least drop the bass out the more you turn up and those who want more head room to keep things at 3 or under on the dial.

in any case here are my staring points:

HB input 2(low gain) on verb chan
    Volume around 4 treb 6ish bass 5ish

SC input 1 on ver
    Volume around 4 teb 6ish bass 6ish

Note: I play blues/classic rock and this brings me to the at the edge of breakup area that I can boost with the pedal of the day as I desire
    Hell is full of musical amateurs: music is the brandy of the damned.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) act 3
    Iron Maiden is selling out arenas all over the world as we speak! Metal is not dead. The only thing Kurt Cobain killed was himself!! (Some random Forum Guy)