Thread: pics of progress, esquire content.

pics of progress, esquire content.

i got the neck bolted on the guitsteel last night, wired her up. the pup reads 10.2k thru the circuit at the jack.

here's the neck awaiting a fret polish.

bolted on, cleaned with ronsonol and some lemon oil. it took 4 coats of lemon oil. a pint of boddington's to keep the thirst down..

bridge on, awaiting hook up to the control plate.

plate wired up. for now no switch. i'm going to devise a way to fake a combo position and neck only on the switch. some caps and resistors and some research should do the trick.

how i've been wiring jacks as of late. this really does away with the "jack is loose and shorts out" disease.

this is after the third coat of oil. plate is on and i checked it all with the meter. 50's wiring thanks to some named fezz!

i strung it up afterwards and tuned it up. i'm slowly setting it up now, it took a .015 or so shim to get the neck up right. strung up with 11's, i'm now working on the relief. adjusting, letting it settle, readjusting...

more pics to follow.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Re: pics of progress, esquire content.

looks good chuck! what kind of guard are you gonna go with? the sparkle you were speaking of earlier?

yep, light silver mist and then off white, the white i have is really close to the original. thru the clear it looks sort of aged.

Forum Member

sounds cool, i cant wait to see it. i think a black guard would look good on it too, but then again, you arent really one to go with the traditional look

a blackguard would be cool, i agree. but i'm trying to build something close the '59 tele i used to play once in awhile. granted this body isn't see thru on the finish, but off white with a white guard is pretty classic to me. the silver misted flakes on the other hand... no where close!

Forum Member

i had a black guard on my highway one for a while but decided to stick with the stock white guard. i dug the black look but it just didnt go with the overall scheme of the guitar, IMO

Sorry to hijack the thread :)

i like that, but sometimes you've gotta change things up. always for the best mind you.

gig report:

got the setup really close. a few minor tweaks and i'll be golden. this thing has some GRUNT to it, has to be the pup. i'm gonna adjust the pup some and see what i can get out of it. but so far i'm really digging it. sounds pretty darn close to my jazzmaster, they essentially have the same pup. i want a little more brightness out of the pup, maybe i'll wire the switch to bypass it, have it in, and then do a faux combo sound.

so far i really like it, it's turning out well and i'm pleased with it.