Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hrdx muddy tone mod?

Re: hrdx muddy tone mod?

+1!
    Great post, stratcat55!

I hang here to grab the low hanging fruit of knowledge from these geezers. Seriously!
    Sounds sarcastic, but I really mean it.
    I get better info here than at many amp building dedicated sites.

It seriously comes from the heart man. This is hands down one of the best forums on the net. I still miss Gravity Jim though. He was a good guy.

Was thinking about GJ today.
    Hope all goes well with him.

Me too. In the strange way the internet has of connecting people, I always counted Jim Bordner as a friend.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

G-Jim lives in my old stompin' grounds, so next time I go up to see my dad and brothers, I'll be lookin' him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    I hang here to grab the low hanging fruit of knowledge from these geezers. Seriously!
    That's all I've been doing for the last couple of years! Don't know if I should be put in the same list that Stratcat posted, though, since those are the cats I've been learning from.

But you should take my name out and put in JAM. He's taught me a ton, and knows Bassmans like no one else.

Geezers, eh? I guess being almost 35 is gettin' up there...
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I'm 45!
    Never too old to learn.

Amen about the technical knowledge here. I've definitely learned a thing or two...just enough to be dangerous, as they say.

I haven't had any problems out of mine... so far... but I ain't holding my breath either! I do use mine for shows, studio work and playing at home.

It isn't my only amp though. I also own two Marshall 2204's with 4 x 12 cabinets, a Sears Silvertone 1484 212 and a POD XT Live with every modeling package on it running stereo into two Tech 21 Power Engine 60's... it sounds more vintage than any of the present stuff I heard or played on and can be packed into my car trunk for gigs! In fact I've had several local guitarists ask me what I'm playing through because it sounds so good and I can go from Fendery clean to Marshally crunch along with all the nice effects processing that the POD XT Live gives me.

That being said I have replaced the tubes in my HRDx with JJ's and rebiased it and I'm pretty happy with the tone. I don't use the drive channel much if any at shows mostly the clean with my pedals and it does fine. However I am getting ready to send off the chassis and have a point-to-point makeover done getting rid of the crappy PCB's and internals and gaining an amp that looks cool and performs even better! The best part is the whole cost is only $395 minus the shipping... yeah I know that kinda expensive considering the original cost of the amp from a retailer but a vintage style boutique clone or original would cost two or three times more at least. I saw a demonstration (youtube) of a HRDx done this way with a weber 12" in it and WOW!!! It sounded fantastic.