Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What does a $55,000 guitar look like?

Forum Member

Re: What does a $55,000 guitar look like?

I don't think that stuff matters. If he can document the fact that the same neck is on it when his dad got it in '54, then it's pretty much a done deal. If I was at Fender, I'd be all over this. The body alone, as that test platform, is priceless and a really cool piece of history.

Sad, but, in my experience, true -- with so many changed parts and odd features (pickguard, replaced necks, pickups, no finish, etc.), it simply has too many stories to make it easily marketable.

A collector generally will prefer a straight, no-story, or minimal alteration piece to a guitar with a deep, hard to verify narrative -- hence your displeasure over the uncooperative "expert" analysts.

You might find a store to move it for you --they will hawk it as a unique prototype and try to make the issues a plus (spin happens in the vintage world just like in politics). But I have seen several prototype guitars and amps (some discussed on these forums) which start out demanding big sums for their historical value only to sell at far lower prices when the "right" buyer is located.

Bottom line -- it is movable, you might hit it big, but it is a harder sell than, say a fifties, few-issues, strat.
    I must have missed something. If this guitar was made up of all different parts and has paint issues, it drastically impairs what it is worth. You can still get a small mint from the body alone. As far as donating it, I know I am not in a position to be that philanthropic..Sell that bad boy and make some big money!!!

Sounds like a keeper, and very good and true heirloom.

My great grandchildren will see it on Antiques Roadshow in 2112
    and be amazed that it is worth twenty quadrillion squid.

OK, off color, but I would be strongly tempted to keep it, as is.
    Loan it to a museum, but not donate it.

Everybody seems to be so amazed by Gilmour's 001 strat (which may not even be 001 ,and how many changes has that thing had done to it?) This guitar helped build that one.

Forum Member

It is not number 1 (despite the serial number). It is impressive because some (incorrectly) think it is the first completely original strat ever made and (2) it has association value with an artist who has a large, loyal following (hence, the crazy prices at a recent Clapton auction for 1990s guitars he used once or twice on stage).

Forum Member

Star guitars and charity auctions will probably always raise the price of these pieces. Star guitars because of the celebrety association and charity auctions because people usually spend more because it is for a charity and some of those charitable donations are deductable at least in part. My guitar will most likely never reach the level of Claptons and if it doesn't thats alright with me.

53 Strat

Forum Member

"A' (not "the") bottom line. The guitar is an oddity. It raises as many questions (or more) than it answers -- even given the pictorial and written documentation.

I believe Ganzler or someone else over on the LPF has a 3 strike rule when it comes to the number of stories needed to explain a vintage guitar at sale time.

I have seen vintage gear with fender prototype status asking for 5 figures. They are typically hard (not impossible) sells --they generate a lot of interest -- but, so far, they always have sold (often for less than the seller had hoped).

You may get lucky -- it only takes one interested party with a will and a healthy expendable income to make things work. It clearly has a great personal association value (it was your dad's) and it is, if verifiable, an interesting piece in the evolution of the strat..

Provided you like it and don't need the money to make ends meet, why not just hold on to it and enjoy the hell out it? If it sounds good, and it links you to your dad (in an indirect, but memorable, way), what's the downside?

If you are just interested in/curious about its worth (I know most of us here would be) -- there sadly is no way to know. Too many questions and no clear standard for a close comparison.

You've got an interesting, fine piece of Fender history -- enjoy it. I know I would.

And Please Please do tell us what you end up getting if you do sell. I am extremely interested!!!!! And/Or...please let us know the listing number if you put it up on ebay!! You can start the bidding as high as you want and it only costs about $5 to list it.