Thread: Options for a budget Vibroverb

Forum Member

Options for a budget Vibroverb

Hi, I've been craving a Vibroverb for a while now but I don't want to spend a ton of money on one. What are my options as far as clones and kit amps? I've been looking at the Vibroclones which look like a good option. Are their any kits offered by Weber or anyone else that come close to the original Vibroverb sound? I have some skill at soldering and a great amp tech for the stuff that is over my head. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Re: Options for a budget Vibroverb

They're complicated amps and while I'd love to say go for it, I can't recommend one for a first build.
    If you could have someone competent walk you through it then maybe...

As far as the sound goes, I've never tried one (a 6G16) but I have played (and built) plenty other Weber kits and they're beyond excellent. Now that they've started shipping Carling switches and Neutrik jacks the parts quality is good and the cost is brilliant.
    Weber speakers are my favourites from the ones I've tried in my amps. I imagine that a well built amp, properly biased and with an appropriate speaker would sound, well, great!

It does look to be a loud amp though...

Good luck,
    Tommy.

Forum Member

I've actually considered that kit before and I was planning on having my tech do most if not all of the work should I decide on that kit. Thanks for the help, keep the opinions coming!

Matt

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Here ya go, sport......

http://www.gramps-amps.com/customamps.htm

A quality Vibroclone for $1650.

An' "Gramps" is good people as well!

HTH

I'm sure David Allen has a kit in that vein, and it will have Heathkit-quality instructions.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'm in the middle of a BFVV build now. I'm putting in the Brown VV (6G16) tremolo circuit though; it's a bias-vary rather than photo-resistor tremolo.

As Tommy says, they are pretty hard for 'first build' amps. Seems I have had lots of recent opportunities to post pics of this guy lately. Here it is with a lot of work still left in the wiring department:

I don't know whay your budget is, but any BF amp is going to be pricey. Weber's kits are the best value out there if you have access to a good builder, which you seem to.

I'm going with a Weber Cali 15" (JBL-inspired) for mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I'm sure David Allen has a kit in that vein, and it will have Heathkit-quality instructions.
    +1 for Allen. I'm actually using the Heyboer iron he spec'ed as well. He's great...answered all the questions I threw at him.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    I'm in the middle of a BFVV build now. I'm putting in the Brown VV (6G16) tremolo circuit though; it's a bias-vary rather than photo-resistor tremolo.

As Tommy says, they are pretty hard for 'first build' amps. Seems I have had lots of recent opportunities to post pics of this guy lately. Here it is with a lot of work still left in the wiring department.....I'm going with a Weber Cali 15" (JBL-inspired) for mine.
    STOP IT, TJ!

Ever'time you post them pics I piss my pants!

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to get my srri biased in the next couple of days so I'll throw some of these ideas past my amp tech and see what he thinks.

Matt

Forum Member

Easy. Get an OT from a Twin, and have it installed in your SRRI. Get a new baffle cut for a single 15, find a JBL D130F. Instant Vibroclone. It's really that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Ever'time you post them pics I piss my pants!

I'm just teased by it every day now since I had to put the build aside for awhile.

Anyway...

Another option is to find a SF Bandmaster Reverb head and put it in a 1x15 combo cab. I saw one go on fleaBay just the other day for $450. The chassis is exactly the same size as the Vibroverb, and the controls line up with repro faceplates.

You could use an Allen/Heyboer OT (TO40MT), too. It's what I'm using in my build.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Another option is to find a SF Bandmaster Reverb head and put it in a 1x15 combo cab. I saw one go on fleaBay just the other day for $450. The chassis is exactly the same size as the Vibroverb, and the controls line up with repro faceplates.
    Umm......(tapping pencil on the lecturn)

I'm not aware of any Vibroverb that ever had a "middle" tone control.

Forum Member

Ditto---get a BM Reverb, a custom cab for the chassis and a 1x15" baffle (lots of people making them out there), and upgrade the OT to a multitap 50 watter...and the Cali is a good speaker choice. Forget the faceplate...

Umm......(tapping pencil on the lecturn)

I'm not aware of any Vibroverb that ever had a "middle" tone control.

Shouldn't matter with a repro faceplate. If the other holes line up the new faceplate will cover the hole in the chassis.

Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by ES350 View Post
    Ditto---get a BM Reverb, a custom cab for the chassis and a 1x15" baffle (lots of people making them out there), and upgrade the OT to a multitap 50 watter...and the Cali is a good speaker choice. Forget the faceplate...
    If BF cosmetics are desired, this faceplate will work......

http://www.vintone.com/images/faceplates/fp_page2.html

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Shouldn't matter with a repro faceplate. If the other holes line up the new faceplate will cover the hole in the chassis.
    Yup, that's right.

My chassis has the extra hole and is covered up nicely by repro faceplate.

If BF cosmetics are desired, this faceplate will work......

http://www.vintone.com/images/faceplates/fp_page2.html
    I've been reading a lot about Doug not filling orders lately. Some folks are mentioning that he might be getting out of the business, but I can't confirm that detail.

-Edmund Burke

Yeah I dunno WTF is up with Doug. I e-mailed him several times about havin' that "Spankmaster" faceplate made (before finally hookin' up with you). It'd be a real shame if'n he goes tits up......he's got some really nice stuff on his site.

I only posted the link to that BF BR panel for anybody who might be innerested in convertin' the head to a combo an' wanted to retain the middle tone control but change to the black-face cosmetics.

If Doug is gone though, it don't matter......

Last edited by phantomman; 08-27-2008 at 02:27 AM.

I know...I'm still looking for an outlet to do the metal faceplate thing for some of my projects. Right now, I'm using Weber's plastic faceplates which are really nice, but they are sensitive to amp heat and buckle a little.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Well I finally talked to my tech today and he liked the idea of some sort of vibroverb clone project. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a bandmaster head for a couple months and if I don't find one we will most likely get one of the Weber kits. My amp tech is a nice guy who likes to share his knowledge and said I'm welcome to help with the Weber build so I can learn some stuff for future amp projects. Thanks for the help and I'll let you guys know when the build starts.

Matt
    Last edited by 1bmf; 09-05-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Outstanding! Of course, we'll require pictures!