Thread: DigiTech RP500

DigiTech RP500

I just spent a quick 20 minutes playing around with this last night. There are absolutely tons of amp and fx models in here - more than I could ever imagine using. But, it was intriguing, to say the least. Now that I have my uber-pedalboard, I'm realizing that it's too heavy for me to bring to every gig, so I was thinking of getting something that could be set up to give me 1/2 dozen great sounds, and to go direct into the PA while still sending a signal to a pair of amps. This thing looked like it would do the trick, especially since you can turn off the cabinet emulation for the amps while still sending the full emulated signal to the PA.

Well, I tried it, and another guitar teacher tried it. Our reaction?

Feh.

perhaps if I had had a lot of time to totally build some sounds from scratch, but overall there are way, way too many hyped uber-metal sounds in there. I mean, they've modeled the JTM45, Plexi, Jumpered, metal panel, MV, JCM800, 900, DSL2000, etc. Plus Boogie IIc, Recto, Dual Recto, Triple Recto. Plus Soldanos, Bogners, and on and on. No Dumble though. Go figure.

Nice fx, tons of stomps, tons upon tons of amps (3 tweeds, one brown Fender, 2 blackface). And still it's not really enough. Why? Because they sounded like tincan ant-bugles. I guess I'd have thought that the RP500 would excel at the 'direct' thing.

I guess I'll have to try the Vox Tonelab LE and the POD X3 Live.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: DigiTech RP500

I use to have an RPx400 that helped me get into home recording.

Just gave it to my 11 year-old nephew the gainy fizzy Metal-head.

He's much happier with it than I was.