Thread: 1980's Phantom guitars from NY - Information wanted...

Forum Member

1980's Phantom guitars from NY - Information wanted...

I just picked up a 1980's built (according to the owner) Phantom electric guitar over the weekend for my 14 year old daughter to get her "Shredding on" with. It is a knock off Strat copy with 3 single coils, 5 way switch and Wilkenson tremolo system on it. Maple Fretboard, unknown wood body and in pretty good overall condition. It was a real bargin so I grabbed it with the case. It has great low action and plays and sounds better than my old 2001 MIM Fat Strat I had. From what I can find online is they were sold by a company known as Phantom Guitars located at 399 Lake Avenue,Staten Island,N.Y.10303. I assume they were made in Japan or Korea and possibly assembled in New York? Google comes up with virtually nothing on these. There were a couple recent ones on Ebay I found listings that sold for cheap too but little to no information about the history of this company. It is certainly not the existing Phantom company with the odd shaped guitars that were formally Vox.

Anyone ever hear of these guitars or know anything about them? Here are a couple photos. My daughter liked the Ghost on the headstock... lol. Any information that anyone has would be welcomed.

Photos:

Last edited by TobaccoBurst; 08-18-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Re: 1980's Phantom guitars from NY - Information wanted...

Did Bob Feather have anything to do with this company? Some folks might be able to put you in contact with him.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Sorry but I don't know who Bob Feather is......

A former forum member. E-mail me and I can tell you where to fiind him.

I remember one passing over my workbench several years ago.

Same "ghost" headstock with the string tree hanging over the edge.

The body and bridge on yours look to be of higher quality than the one I saw.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Forum Member

Thanks Don for the message.... I sent you an email.

Does anyone have any guess as to what the wood may be or the pickups? Are there any hidden spots that possibly could date this guitar? (Example, pickup dates, neck area etc.)

I recall seeing a used one. Same type of Stratoid. The ghost was cool. Found this on a chat board (which is where you must have gotten your info):

I and my fiance have been collecting these guitars with the ghost logo on Phantom. We have a couple strats and a Flying V. I also have catalogues. One from 1987 was listing: Phantom Guitars, 399 Lake Avenue,Staten Island,N.Y.10303 I figure they were made Korea or Japan and assembled in N.Y. The Japanese and Koreans make great guitars. Peace. Hope this helps... :)
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grito View Post
    I recall seeing a used one. Same type of Stratoid. The ghost was cool. Found this on a chat board (which is where you must have gotten your info):

I and my fiance have been collecting these guitars with the ghost logo on Phantom. We have a couple strats and a Flying V. I also have catalogues. One from 1987 was listing: Phantom Guitars, 399 Lake Avenue,Staten Island,N.Y.10303 I figure they were made Korea or Japan and assembled in N.Y. The Japanese and Koreans make great guitars. Peace. Hope this helps... :)
    Yep... you found the only information I have been able to find so far. It would be nice to get some sort of information about the guitar. If not, no biggy but I am somewhat anal about knowing where they came from and a little history on my guitars.

Keep the information coming if you know anything!

Quote Originally Posted by TobaccoBurst View Post
    If not, no biggy but I am somewhat anal about knowing where they came from and a little history on my guitars.
    I was wondering what motivated this.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

IIRC, the one I worked on was a "V", plywood body, rather anemic ceramic pickups.

I'd guess Korean over Japanese.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    I was wondering what motivated this.
    lol.... I only have one guitar that I bought brand new and know the complete history on. I like to think I adopt guitars and it is nice to know the "family history" as it were. Some guitars have been more like "foster kids" that only stay for awhile but since this one is much more for my daughter than me, I think it will stay in the music room longer than if it were me playing it. Although I also think the ghost is kinda cute!

Forum Member

Just a bump to see if anyone knows anything about these guitars..... It's a fun strat copy and I have been enjoying it but would like to know if there is any additional information on where they were made and what happend to the company.