Thread: Guitar Port? Guitar Rig? I`m Looking

Forum Member

Guitar Port? Guitar Rig? I`m Looking

I`m old school but I`m slowly catching up.
    I`m looking into playing my Guitar through my Computer and getting the software to emulate all those different sounding amps. I`d also like to do that and play along with my downloaded songs.
    A friend of mine told my about a Guitar Port, but reading into to it more it seems they want you to subcribe and if you don`t , you can`t play along with songs you`ve already downloaded. Correct me here if I`m wrong about any of this.
    I`m new to this guys and I would appreciate any information to get me started. My Computer I`m going to use has the 2 speakers with the sub woofer and it sounds pretty good. Thanks K

Forum Member

Re: Guitar Port? Guitar Rig? I`m Looking

I recently went with Guitar Rig Session for my first stab at home computer recording. For a newbie to this it wasn't real intuitive. I got the Guitar Rig software going as a stand-alone package fairly easily and was able to turn my computer into a guitar amplifier. However, getting the included Cubase LE 4 recording software figure out took a lot more time. I just didn't understand the processes used to record the output from Guitar Rig. After reading the manuals (that's how confused I was!) and reading messages on their internet forum I finally got it working. It's a lot of fun now that I've got it working correctly.

As far as you computer speakers you'll find that unless you already have a high-end audio card on your computer, the sound card just doesn't cut it for monitoring what your doing. I've been using head phones plugged into the Guitar Rig I/O device (which is an external AUIDO card). I've also used the line out to run the output into the line in on my amp. That works well also.

Good luck!

A Line6 TonePort might suit your needs nicely. UX1 for two inputs, UX2 for 4 inputs. USB connection to your computer, headphone out or route to external amplifier/speakers, guitar modelling with bundled Gearbox software

The StealthPlug from the Amplitude people seems interesting...StealthPlug comes bundled with Amplitude Live guitar modelling software. I have the Amplitude plug-in for Cakewalk and I generally like the results I get from that.

DD

I have several software packages to do this with. The one thing that is consistent between them is that none are intuitive for the novice, and all are easy for those that have learned the basics. In other words, you're going to have to suffer through some learning curve, no matter which way you go. Once you do, any of the others out there will work pretty much the same way (at least in the basic configuration areas).

Check the "Sticky Thread" in the Jamzone section of this forum for lot of information on this topic and the topic of recording. It is definately a lot of fun once you're in the saddle.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotech View Post
    Check the "Sticky Thread" in the Jamzone section of this forum for lot of information on this topic and the topic of recording. It is definately a lot of fun once you're in the saddle.
    +1

Once you solve the analog-to-digital conversion of getting your guitar "in" to your computer -- which may involve any one of a number of interface devices designed to do just that, or something as simple as an iMic into USB -- you might want to try some of the freebie things out there for recording before making a more serious investment: Audacity, Kristal, Reaper. There are even freebie software amp modeler VST plug-ins (these are like software pedals and fx units you operate from within your host recording program) like this one:
    http://www.voxengo.com/product/tubeamp/

Guitar Rig is pretty fun to mess around with, which you can do using the free demo (for a while):
    http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?id=guitarrig3

I tried the free demo of Guitar Rig last night. I'm very impressed with the sound quality and the ease of use. It falls short for me as it "takes over" my sound card and doesn't let me hear playback of anything else, like music playing in iTunes or playback from Guitar Pro.

I played the mp3s through the Guitar Rig "Tapedeck" and while it works, it sounds absolutely awful - distorted AM radio sound quality. Playback of the same mp3 in iTunes on the same computer, sound card and headphones sounds full and wonderful.

So, unless I have something set up really ass-backwards in Guitar Rig, or my sound card (M-Audio MobilePre - usb connected external guitar preamp) is not functioning, I'd say the Guitar Rig is not a great "jam along with mp3s" solution for your computer.

DD