Thread: New project complete (pics)

New project complete (pics)

Just finished my latest build - a relic'ed vintage modern hybrid.

Warmoth alder body
    Warmoth maple/rosewood neck w/SS frets and compound radius
    CS 69 pickups
    Sperzel locking tuners with pearloid buttons

Last edited by sting7777; 07-29-2008 at 05:05 AM.

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"

Re: New project complete (pics)

I'm not one for the relic look, but sounds like it'll be a great player!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Top notch. That neck is a beaut!

I am also not into the relic look, but to be fair, you have done a damn good job. Congratulations.

I am in the market for a Strat and I am leaning in two directions (expensive vs inexpensive) and getting quite dizzy as a result. So if I may, I would like to ask a few questions.
    How much did this cost you in parts? How does it play, compared to say a stock or a Custom Shop Strat? What is the actual neck radius (I know it is compound, but from what to what)?

There is a local guy who can put together a Warmoth for me and paint it any nitro colour I want, so I am seriously thinking of this option as opposed to spending a pile of money on a Custom Shop Strat. I am much more interested in sound and playability than looks, and I realize that the resale value of a Partscaster will not be as high, but I really want a PLAYER, not an investment.

Please, no one should take this a diss on their likes and dislikes. We all have our tastes and we all make music.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

How do like the SS frets? I have always wondered about those (never played em).

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I am also not into the relic look, but to be fair, you have done a damn good job. Congratulations.

I am in the market for a Strat and I am leaning in two directions (expensive vs inexpensive) and getting quite dizzy as a result. So if I may, I would like to ask a few questions.
    How much did this cost you in parts? How does it play, compared to say a stock or a Custom Shop Strat? What is the actual neck radius (I know it is compound, but from what to what)?

There is a local guy who can put together a Warmoth for me and paint it any nitro colour I want, so I am seriously thinking of this option as opposed to spending a pile of money on a Custom Shop Strat. I am much more interested in sound and playability than looks, and I realize that the resale value of a Partscaster will not be as high, but I really want a PLAYER, not an investment.

Please, no one should take this a diss on their likes and dislikes. We all have our tastes and we all make music.
    Thanks!

I think this build was less than $800 including finishing materials. I have built 3 different strats from scratch (1 modern, 1 vintage, and this relic hybrid) and all have played as good or better than any other strat I have ever played - and I have played hundreds over the years including high end, artist, custom etc.. All are Warmoth and Fender parts. Basically - I have never built a clunker.

I also built a cheaper one (less than 750) for a friend's son (that was the budget) but still had Warmoth neck with SS frets etc. Basically a Blackie repro using a nitro Highway 1 body.

The compund radius is ultra comfortable from a playing standpoint - the neck profile is also a component of course. If I had to have only one strat with one neck it would be a modern C shape with compound (12-16 I believe) radius and stainless frets (no more re-frets etc.).

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    How do like the SS frets? I have always wondered about those (never played em).
    I love them - silky smooth bends and no fret wear after a year or two of solid playing on multiple necks. I won't buy or build a guitar without them now if I can at all help it.

Some people claim they are too bright. I think they are brighter than nickel - but pickup choice, amp settings etc. more than compensate IMO.

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

mmmmmm, hardtail.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"