Thread: Help with getting better sound out of gear

Forum Member

Help with getting better sound out of gear

Ok,

I realize this is a newbie question and might sound vague, but I'll give it a shot.

I am playing in a cover band in a few local shows. Anyways, my gear is old and sounds pretty shitty.

I'm playing a Mexi strat with a moderately worn Hot-Rod Deluxe through a DigiTech RP350 multi-effects pedal. The problem I'm getting is that it is too noisy, scratchy, unclear and piercing almost.

The best I can describe it is that every song sounds like "All my Life" by Foo Fighers. I'm looking for more of a crisp, clear hard sound, sort of like some Blink-182, Nirvana Nevermind, and some Joe Perry.

I'm doing Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Greenday, basically face melt party rock, and playing lead on all, and need to get a crisper sound.

Is there a way I can tune my amp, or tune my effects box or guitar to get a more vibrant, more defined sound?

I dont know if this even makes sense, but any help is really appreciated.

Re: Help with getting better sound out of gear

Sounds like you need a Marshall.

You can try a Vintage 30 speaker if your Hot Rod doesn't already have it, that should tighten up the sound and give it a little more bite. Better sounding speaker overall IMHO. That's the cheap route, but virtually every band you listed used mostly Marshall equipment (or sounds like it). Zeppelin, Green Day, both plexi users for the most part.

And play with your effects options, also.
    I'm not all that clear on how well the HRD "takes" effects,
    some amps are better than others in that aspect.

Originally Posted by Cygnus x1
    I'm not all that clear on how well the HRD "takes" effects,
    some amps are better than others in that aspect.
    Yeah I can vouch for that with respect (or rather disrespect) to the Hot Rod Deluxe. I use a Boss ME-50 effects board. I had a HRDLx amp and most of the effects were ok at best, some I would consider useless/unusable. However after I stripped and rebuilt the amp as a Bassman clone, the effects sounded much better. Getting rid of that HotRod will make a world of difference to your sound.

Pete
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

The HRDx loves 7581A tubes. And the suggestion re V30 speaker or anything with more sizzle/bite (Emi Red Fang, etc.) is a good one as well. NEVER, repeat never, use the red light OD on that amp, but if you sub in a lower gain pre-amp tube (5751 or AT7) the green light OD can give a good rythmn crunch.

Forum Member

Use the clean channel and get a MI Crunch Box.

I had good results upgrading the tubes and speaker in my HRDX. A Weber Chicago or 12F150 are nice for Fender sounds and a set of JJ tubes would be an improvement over the stock tubes.

No I don't want to start any trouble, but every multi effects unit I have ever heard was noisy and made the sound mushy. I am not familiar with the one you are using and maybe it is a good one, but I would opt for good individual pedals and the best cables you can afford. I like George L's but solder Switchcraft, G&H or Neutrik ends on them. No matter what anyone tells you, there is a big difference in cables, even different models within the same brand name. I also like Lava ELC cables. They aren't cheap, but you get a good bang for your buck.

Forum Member

Have you experimented with using the effects loop versus plugging straight in to the input on the hrdx? That may make a difference in your sound.

I have to agree with DooobieK above, though. Try settiing the multi-effects unit aside and using individual pedals. Begin by using a crunch or distortion pedal and see if you can achieve the sound that you want and then add pedals to your liking from there. I hope this helps.

Forum Member

ok well its looking like Im going to end up getting a new amp. What about a loud reverb? I have to keep it on or around $300.

Quote Originally Posted by zoso730 View Post
    Ok,

I'm playing a Mexi strat with a moderately worn Hot-Rod Deluxe through a DigiTech RP350 multi-effects pedal....
    Well, there's your problem. I first ditch the Digitech, and then start looking for a better amp. You should be able to get usable sounds with the HRD. Not great but useable. Learn to use the volume knob of the guitar to go from clean to dirty.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'd do like Chuck says and ditch your multi-effects unit first. Try a better speaker too, most HRD users I know have been much happier with a new speaker. Maybe a Celestion?

Just using your clean channel cranked up to 10 or so will give you a much more usable sound IMHO. If you want tighter sounding distortion on the cheap you can try a Metal Zone pedal, and just keep the gain down to a reasonable level, lower than you think you need. Get carried away with the gain knob on anything, and it's just going to get mushy.

I would describe what the Metal Zone does as "crisp", until you crank up the gain too high, then it's just a messy flood of crappy fizz tone.

Before you spend a bunch of money chasing after the "right" piece of gear, I'd recommend you spend more time figuring out what's possible with the gear you have.

As far as distortion/overdrive sounds go - usually "less is more" is true to a certain extent. Heavily distorted sounds can get lost. Somestimes what sounds huge and awesome by yourself sounds like crap at stage volume, in a crowded club, competing with a drummer.

The guitar lives in the midrange. That's where you'll cut through - thus the success of the tubescreamer type overdrive with its characteristic mid-hump.

A good compressor pedal and/or EQ pedal might help a lot too. These are subtle tone-shapers that a lot of people overlook. They can help quite a bit to get a more professional sound.
    s'all goof.

For me.... I'd ditch the Digitech, turn all the knobs on the amp to "0" zero, set the guitar knobs at midrange and then turn up the amp volume to about "7". Now, play with the tone knob on the guitar till you get a normal strat sound. Now, turn the guitar volume up or down to get the tone you want. Now, LEAVE THE FREAKIN' GUITAR ALONE!! (for a bit) Go to the amp and run the gain up until you get the crunch and then tailor the bass, mid, treble until it sounds like you want it.
    Play a bit then turn the guitar volume down to about 6.
    Get yourself a tubescreamer and compression pedal and go from there.

OR........

Dump everything and get an Epi LP and Marshall amp.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!