Thread: Planet Waves NS Capo -- any thoughts?

Forum Member

Planet Waves NS Capo -- any thoughts?

Anybody tried the Planet Waves NS capo?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...er-?sku=360403

I don't want to spend the money for a G7th capo, as pretty as they are, because I mostly want one to help with checking and setting up necks. But I don't want to go super cheap and get a bad one, either, or one that won't last.

Any thoughts on this one, or other suggestions? Thanks.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Re: Planet Waves NS Capo -- any thoughts?

In general I've been disappointed with every piece of Planet Waves gear I've ever bought.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

It's not more expensive than a regular capo, so why not? I also agree with Kap'n

Forum Member

The only Planet Waves things I have are a strap and a combination string cutter/winder. They've been fine, but it's hard to screw up either of those things.

(Actually, I love that Planet Waves strap, just because it has a little pocket for picks. I got a really pretty Levy's leather strap for my #1 guitar, and while I love it, I kind of miss having a strap with a pick pocket. )

Also: How's your leg, Trev?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Oh heck, man. The leg is pretty good! I should go update my thread! (and I just did)

I need to go grab some good planetwaves cables. I have some Whirlwind cables I like, but they are too hard texturally. They don't flex the same...

Forum Member

i stick with my kyser

I have a lot of variety in the necks on my acoustics and the Schubb and G7 work better across a spectrum of neck thicknesses really well.

I use a Shubb Deluxe for playing and a Keyser for setups (it was de-moted when I got the Shubb). I would use the Shubb for setups as well, but it's usually packed away in a guitar case.

I used to use a $6 or $7 Dunlop strap capo for setups. In fact, it's still in my tool bag. It's what I'd recommend if you're only going to do setups with it.

I tried the G7th and liked it but returned it because I prefer the Shubb Deluxe. I prefer the Shubb's tension adjustment over the G7th's. The only drawback is that my Shubb is a bit tight on larger necks but I see that they offer a model for larger necks.

That is the problem I have. My J-200 is like a baseball bat, my Hummingbird is mid-range thickness-wise, but my old J-40 is more like a '60's style electric neck - real thin. The G7 does them all really well.

Forum Member

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'm leaning toward the Shubb Deluxe. It's not much more than the Planet Waves one I was looking at, and it seems to be better liked.

I'd go for a super-cheap one that would be good enough just for setups, but I do want one that's good for playing -- just in case. I might find musical uses for a capo some time in the future, in which case it would be good to have a decent one that's easy to use. I've never really played with one, but lately I find I often make use of open strings when playing blues-style rhythm (esp. in A and E), and it might be nice to know I could do those same things in other keys.