Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THis could be the coolest new Tele ever 50's Classic Pine Body Squier

Forum Member

Re: THis could be the coolest new Tele ever 50's Classic Pine Body Squier

I bought my drummer a used classic 50s ash Tele
    Can I be your drummer?!

I mean...I can't play the drums, but....
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Do they come with the shielding paint on them, or was this done by your friend?

I'm long past sold...gonna finish up the few projects I'm involved with and get one. Whom did you order through, Marcondo?
    Yes comes stock with the shielding paint.

This thing is as silent as my 58 VOS Les Paul zero 60 cycle hum.

I had one on order from the dealer I get all my Fenders from but he still hasnt got one in I got tired of waiting and got it from MF.

I appreciate that information, Marcondo!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I got one of these teles last week. It's an amazingly good guitar, tone is on the mellower, meaty side of twang. The neck is amazing, one of the best fret jobs I've seen,nearly as nice as my $2K Les Paul. The finish is stellar, not a flaw. I did have to add a shim and adjust the action, but it plays very smooth and intonation is on.

I like the bridge pup, phat, has a moderate twang without any icepick treble - this pup will stay in the guitar. The neck pup is sorta dull, full sounding but doesn't have a lot of character. This will be changed down the road. Overall for $300...I'm thrilled with this axe. Don't care what is stays on the headstock or origin...it's a great guitar.
    Gear: Gibson Les Paul Custom Antique GOTW 14; Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster.
    Amp: Fender Tweed Ltd. Ed. Hot Rod Deluxe & Champion 600
    Pedal : cmatmods Signa Drive, MXR Script Phase 90, MXR Graphic Eq., MXR Carbon Copy

Forum Member

Mine just arived this morning from MF and it's far more guitar than I expected, even after reading this thread. Thanks for all the arm twisting!

I've looked it over top to bottom and played it for a few hours today and the only flaw I could find was a 1/16" x 1/2" crack in the finish where the neck meets the forward edge of the neck pocket. Looks like there may have been a little overspray into the neck pocket and bolting up the neck cracked a tiny sliver of the finish. Under indoor lighting it's not even noticable, I didn't see it till I went outside.

The quality control card that came attached to the A string tuning peg listed 1st string height @ the 1st fret as .5mm and 1.5mm @ the 12th fret. 6th string height was listed as .55mm @ the 1st and 2mm @ the 12th. After tuning it to standard tuning (four strings were over a pitch sharp and two were slightly flat) the action is noticeably lower and still buzz free..

The nut seems to be cut well and is thankfully not cut too low. The fret ends are unobtrusive and frets seem to be level. I'll find out how level after I give it a complete set it up w/10-46 D Addario's. It came stock w/9-42 D'Adarrio's.

The brass barrels are a little on the high side but to Fender's credit the saddle adjustment screws are not too high and cutting into my hand. They are are flush or just above the barrel. Very nice out of the box set-up for sure.

I haven't run it through my '68 Champ or LP JR amps yet but through my Tech 21 Trademark 10 the pups sound really nice and warm. As previously mentioned there is no ice pick treble @ the bridge pup and no woofy/farty/muddy bass notes @ the neck pup. The Tech 21 is not quite as forgiving of cheap pups as the Champ or LP JR amps so I figure it'll be fine through the other two amps.

The body is more vintage white than butterscotch, real close in color to a MIM Baja. Nice grain showing through all over the body and weight is on the medium side @ 8#s 1/4 oz. Most pics don't show the grain nearly as nicely as viewed in person. The neck on mine is a full C. It's both deeper and wider @ the shoulders compared to a Jimmy Vaughan neck and a bit shy of my EJ Strat neck. It is definitely not a thin neck but not a baseball bat either.

So far no complaints. Price to value wise it's the best deal I've gotten on a new guitar in 30+ years of playing. It handily edges out the previous 'bargain buy' Melody Maker @ $269 by virtue of better pups and much better playability. The MM neede a few tweaks before it was readily playable and the pups aren't even close to this Squier's Alnico IIIs.

A lot of people are confusing 'Vintage Blonde' with 'Aged' or 'Butterscotch' blonde. The blonde color is supposed to be whitish-cream. The original 50 blonde faded to amber as time went on.

Anyway...

I have my finger over the click button to order...so close...
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Do it man! Imagine how good it'll sound with the Vibroverb.

...sooooo close...

-Edmund Burke

my company sells em the Alnico III magnets

Good luck with it

...sooooo close...

Oh, c'mon!
    It'll be a great guitar to test out thos amps you build.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Wonder if a P-90 would fit. That things pretty sweet.

Forum Member

if this is the same one in the GC catalog im considering it real hard...

Forum Member

went to my local GC today,not here yet...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    my company sells em the Alnico III magnets

Good luck with it
    Are you implying there are issues w/your magnets?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
    went to my local GC today,not here yet...
    I looked @ my local GC too before ordering mine from MF. When I asked the manager about the arrival of any CVs he said he had no word of them coming to the store any time soon.

This makes some sense as MF, Music 123, GC, Guitar Sale, etc... are all under the same ownership and ship out of shared warehouses.

If they're selling their allotments online they can ship the guitar directly to you versus shipping it to a store where it may or may not sell.

I know from a business standpoint I wouldn't necessarily want to have a $299 guitar on the floor that sounds better and out plays my $399-$699 MIM guitars. YMMV

Forum Member

good point...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Oh, c'mon!
    It'll be a great guitar to test out thos amps you build.

Making it harder to resist...must...wait...a...little...longer...

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

MF says they won't be back in stock till 10/08/08... I figure that's why my local GC hadn't heard any news of them coming.

I asked my local Mom-n-Pop if they'd ordered any recently and they said they tried because a few people had inquired about them. Fender informed them the CVs were on back order and would proably be available for November delivery....

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    MF says they won't be back in stock till 10/08/08... I figure that's why my local GC hadn't heard any news of them coming...Fender informed them the CVs were on back order and would proably be available for November delivery....
    Yet, the MF site shows them IN STOCK and ready to ship.

November sounds good...just in time for my birthday!

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

hmmm...mine too,last year i got a 57 RI.after all ,were both 50,and it went on sale during my birth month.had to be fate...

Hey, I just ordered one yesterday from MF and got a shipping confirmation e-mail today.......!

And that after having just bought an American Deluxe Tele a couple weeks ago! LoL, I have bad GAS.

Forum Member

I'd like to hear the lowdown after it arrives. I've been playing my 50s Vibe's constantly for the last few weeks and neither has let me down. The Strat's had a few tweaks @ the E & B saddles and truss rod, but the Tele hasn't required anything in the way of a set up yet.

I'm actually waiting till the 9s wear out to give them a full set up. But so far the 9s sound fine so I'm not going to change them out till their toast.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I'd like to hear the lowdown after it arrives. I've been playing my 50s Vibe's constantly for the last few weeks and neither has let me down. The Strat's had a few tweaks @ the E & B saddles and truss rod, but the Tele hasn't required anything in the way of a set up yet.

I'm actually waiting till the 9s wear out to give them a full set up. But so far the 9s sound fine so I'm not going to change them out till their toast.

I got my CV Tele in the 1st week of July and still using the stock strings and they havent gone dead yet. I play it at least 1 hour a day.

Comes stock with 42-9-D'Addarios.

Forum Member

That's encouraging! I normally use D'Addario 10-46 and I know they last awhile.

If the strings hold out another 6-8 weeks it'll buy me a little time to finish painting and assembling my custom build Tele.

Everything was going well until I went to apply the first coat of two-tone burst... It seems the standoffs I used to hold the cardboard outline of the body left some very yellow spots on the guitars back.

But that's another story for a different thread. If I can get off my ass and take some pics I'll start a thread in the clone zone and show the progress to date...

ok, well i just got my guitar today! Looks great and seems to play great un-amplified,
    Now i just need to go home and plug it in!
    I had it delivered to my work so i could get it right away.
    Cosmetically, it really does seem to compare on the same level as guitars twice the price.

FYI, NTBG-
    Friday, I used a Vitage Vibe Tele to audition delays and reverb pedals.
    Very cool! The neck is smaller (front to back) than anything I'm used to, but the shape was welcoming enough that I was perfectly comfy playing it.
    The .009's w/the smaller neck and the sooper shmoove frets made it feel like I could push the E off the other side of the neck.
    The fret work was noticeably better than anything on the floor that I played.
    Slick.
    (I'm kind of glad there weren't .010's on it. )

The thinline Squire Teles they had, while cool looking, were sad junk by comparison.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    FYI, NTBG-
    Friday, I used a Vitage Vibe Tele to audition delays and reverb pedals....
    Man, thanks for the review!

I have to put my purchase on hold until I get this year's property taxes covered. In Texas, we don't have a State income tax, so the schools are funded via property taxes.

My modest 1/4 acre costs me over $3,000 annually.

-Edmund Burke

Its a disease.
    I finally broke down and orderded a CV tele.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

You're going to really like it. The only things that are sub-par on these are the selector switch and string nut. The pots are good, the pickups are good, the finish is good, etc.

The body is soft though...it is pine after all.

Shoot...after I got my CV Tele, I HAD TO HAVE MORE TELE! So I'm putting together a parts-o-Tele now. It is a disease.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is MORE TELE!"

"I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Aw, you guys suck...thanks Guitar Mc. for resurrecting this thread. I'm GASsing for a tele I can beat up and sling around like Keef does.

And I just bought that Epi Firebird...ach der lieben gott! I've got the fever too~!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Initial review of my CV tele:

Bad:
    - Bridge pup not working. It will take around 4 weeks for the replacement to come in. In the mean time, I got a nice discount as an incentive to keep the guitar & have it repaired by the local authorized tech.
    - The pick guard is kind of thick & has bevelled edges, I think I prefer the look of a thinner single ply black guard like the one on my ASAT Classic.
    - The jack was a bit loose, so I tightened it down. Seams fine now.

Good:
    After adjusting the truss rod, saddle height & intonation, and neck pickup height, the guitar feels very nice. I was able to get the action nice and low without fretting out.
    - The neck is very straight & comfortable. Not too thick, not too thin.
    - The tuning machines are very smooth.
    - The pots seam to be good quality.
    - It intonates very well with the normal saddles. I am not noticing any intonation problems by ear or with my tuner.
    - I have not found any problems with the finish. I love the look of just a little wood grain showing through the paint.
    - The neck pup sounds good, but I may change it out at some point just because its routed for a humbucker under there. Afterall, I've already got a tele with two single coils (ASAT Classic).

As I said, the neck feels fine. However, after I played pc's custom shop strat (a while ago), I've been wanting something with a 'V' contour on the back & sanded off finish. That strat just felt great to play. My temptation is to sand off the back of the CV Tele neck, and shape a little 'V' into while I'm at it. Hopefully I'll be able to talk myself out of doing that 'cause there is nothing wrong with this neck.

Hopefully resurecting this thread again will cause come heartache for RJ.

GMc
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Your opinions are pretty much exactly what I thought with mine.

I added a better quality tone capacitor (Sprague 225P .047uF) which made things a little better in the pickup department. The neck pickup got some more clarity I think from that.

The pots are full-sized Alpha pots. I use those in amp builds almost exclusively. I kept them when I re-wired mine.

The pickguard doesn't bother me, but it is kind of thick.

How does it compare sonically to your other Teles in your view?

-Edmund Burke

How does it compare sonically to your other Teles in your view?
    My only other tele is my ASAT Classic. It won't be replacing the ASAT.

I like the feel of the neck on the ASAT better. Then again, my ASAT was made before they started using CNCs for consistancy, so not every ASAT neck will be exactly like mine. The CV neck is not bad though.

I also really like the pickups on the ASAT, they are a little bit more P-90 sounding than a standard tele. However, I can't really compare the two guitars' pickups until I get a working bridge pup and a chance to turn the amp up a bit. I've got little kids, so my best oportunity to really try out the new guitar will be with the band this weekend.

The CV is just as good of quality IMHO as the ASAT when it comes to the quality of the finish, tuning machines, pots, & bridge.

Doggone it!!!! I still haven't gotten mine yet from the local music store!!!! They're saying it'll be in by next week. At which point I'll take and assess the guitar and give my opinions on everything. I am really looking forward to getting it though. So far everyone seems pretty happy about theirs.

Didn't want to start a new thread just to ask a question, so I dug this one up.

I just got one of these today, and it seemed that just a slight amount of pressure on the neck (or at least less pressure than I expected) affected the pitch. I know these CV 50's Tele's have pretty thin necks, but it just seemed to bend a little too easily.

Or am I just not used to a neck as thin as this?
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

After all the talk here about how great the CV Teles are and having been Teleless for a few years now I snagged one of ebay today. Looking forward to getting it in my hands on it!