Thread: Early 60s Fender finishes

Forum Member

Early 60s Fender finishes

Would early 60's Jazzmasters and Jaguars have any kind of undercoat to their finish? In particular, something like a white undercoat to a blonde finish. I've seen some finishes that look like refin's but obviously the dealers claim the finish is original and it's just the "undercoat" showing through. I've never read or heard about undercoats before and would like to know if there is any validity to it. Thanks.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Early 60s Fender finishes

The only undercoat I am aware of is the "Fullerplast" that Fender began using on their bodies, beginning in 1963. More information on this sealer can be found here......

http://www.caraguitars.com/fullerplast.asp

As for "factory" colored undercoats, you might see these on custom color guitars. In fact you might even detect vestiges of a sunburst finish under a custom color -- the sunburst finish was rejected by the factory for QC reasons (incorrect color feathering, unacceptable flaw in the wood grain, etc) and the paint shop merely resprayed over the original finish with a solid opaque custom color.

I'm not sure this answers your question but I HTH in any case.

Here's a great site w/ a lot of info:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html
    I can't even read notes. But I can teach someone how to make a guitar smoke.
    ~Ace Frehley

TFF Stage Crew

I've seen custom color Strats from the early '60 that I believe were original that had primer undercoats, both white & red. The red was a kind of brick-red, just like an automotive primer. That particular guitar was a '65 Strat that was black.