Thread: Identity Issues :)

Forum Member

Identity Issues :)

Heya All,

I'm back from the more 'humbucking' counterpart to this forum (read LPF).

If you are still reading this :P, I would love to get some help identifying a bass that was just put into my hands.

What's the old saying? The more you hang around here the less you know, anyway tell me what else I need but here is the following info:

Serial number = S902607
    Made in the USA

No indentation on the backplate of the neck.

It is a 4 string Precision Bass.

What else can you tell me about it, assuming everything else under the hood is original.

Thanks!

Re: Identity Issues :)

I checked the Fender site for the serial number. They used the S9+5 digit configuration from 1978-1981. As it says on the site -"The only way to try to narrow the date range of your specific instrument is to remove the neck and check the butt end of the neck heel for a production date, which may be stamped or written there." What other info are you looking for? Assuming that it's all original, I would think it's basically pretty much the same as the current Fender P bass.

Re: Identity Issues :)

Quote Originally Posted by spud1950 View Post
    I checked the Fender site for the serial number. They used the S9+5 digit configuration from 1978-1981. As it says on the site -"The only way to try to narrow the date range of your specific instrument is to remove the neck and check the butt end of the neck heel for a production date, which may be stamped or written there." What other info are you looking for? Assuming that it's all original, I would think it's basically pretty much the same as the current Fender P bass.
    Except 6 pounds heavier...
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.