Thread: EQ suggestions for SM57?

Forum Member

EQ suggestions for SM57?

So it looks like my used SM57 was indeed faulty. I got a new one, and I'm getting much better results in trying to record my amp...but it's still not quite there. The sound coming out of Sonar 6 isn't quite as warm and present as the sound coming out of my tweed champ with the Jensen P10R.

I think I've got the mic positioned as optimally as possible (it's right up against the grille, about an inch from the edge of the speaker, pointed straight on, so I should be getting a good proximity effect and not much sound from the center). So I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on adjusting the EQ in Sonar so the sound I record is closer to what I'm hearing from the amp. Sonar 6 has a very tweakable graphic EQ plug-in, but I'm not entirely sure what frequencies I should be concentrating on to best flatter my Strat through this particular amp and mic.

Can anyone suggest where I should start? Also: would any other post-mic processing be advisable? Some compression, maybe? I don't want to create some highly processed sound; I just want people who hear the recordings I make to hear how good this amp sounds in my living room.

Thanks.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

TFF Stage Crew

Re: EQ suggestions for SM57?

Eli you probably already tried it, but if not, keep the mic where you have it now, except angle it at that spot and back it up about an inch or so. I.e., not as much proximity effect, but you'll get a "splay" of the sound from the speaker.

See if you like that a bit better.

Second, as for EQ, what I did for my DRRI was this:

Bass frequencies rolled off from 125 Hz or so. Depending on the tune I sometimes rolled off as high as 180 Hz.

Low mids: set a very narrow Q and max the level. Sweep the frequencies b/w 250 and 400 Hz. Choose the place that makes it sound the most "honky". Now reset the level to about -1.5 dB (more or less to taste) and widen the Q just a bit. For me that was usually about 370 Hz.

High mids: Same thing, sweeping from about 650-850 Hz. Find the frequency that sounds the most nasally/grating, set the level to about -1.5 more or less and again widen the Q just a touch. For me that was usually about 800 Hz.

High: I usually bumped the highs on a fairly wide Q about 1.5 dB right around 1800 Hz.

YMMV, but that worked great for my recordings. Again, these things varied if I was going for a clean or cranked & dirty sound, but those basic settings were still pretty close either way.

HTH.

Forum Member

Thanks. That's just the sort of stuff I was looking for.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

TFF Stage Crew

My pleasure. Hope it gives some good results.

I'd add:

Double check your mic placement as to the "edge". 1 inch from what edge? you want some of the cone, not all suspension. Try with the mic in front of the center of the speaker angled towards the edge. You'll get a bunch of depth that way. and moving back won't sacrifice much proximity at all. You may find you are getting too much.

Also, that specific mic has a pronounced hump in the high mids--right around 2k. For many, that's the heart of what they'd call "presence". For others, it's just annoying icepick type sounds and what they really want is the bottom end to be fatter. For the latter type sound, start by flattening the curve by lowering that section and see how you like flat, then "flavor" from there.

Forum Member

Thanks, Wilko.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Also, that specific mic has a pronounced hump in the high mids--right around 2k. For many, that's the heart of what they'd call "presence". For others, it's just annoying icepick type sounds and what they really want is the bottom end to be fatter. For the latter type sound, start by flattening the curve by lowering that section and see how you like flat, then "flavor" from there.
    Bingo!

My recording experience is near nil, but I've been unsatisfied with the 57 out of the gate. Try an warm LDC. I snagged an Oktava MK319 for $75 bucks from ebay. I found all the sound I wasn't getting with the 57 at 2-1/2 feet back, slight off center -- plus some old-fi charm.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post

Low mids: set a very narrow Q and max the level. Sweep the frequencies b/w 250 and 400 Hz. Choose the place that makes it sound the most "honky". Now reset the level to about -1.5 dB (more or less to taste) and widen the Q just a bit. For me that was usually about 370 Hz.
    Wow, people who know what they're doing do that?

Here, I just did that, because, hey, I know how to make stuff sound bad, and I figured if I could find the worst sound, I could use that to my advantage.

Seriously, it's reassuring to know that other folks do it, too.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

Heh, yeah.

They teach it, even. Every engineer we had for instruction at "The Recording Workshop" that I went to as part of my college curriculum practiced & taught that method.

Another meaning for "trace it and erase it."

I have used 57s forever and have found that 4" off of the cone (usually a couple inches off of the grill) dead center works great on all my amps. I run a bit of compression and thats it.

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"