Thread: Greco Electric Bass

Greco Electric Bass

Greco Electric Bass
    I cant seem to find any info on this one. There is some info on other models but only with one pickup.
    Has Matsumoku on the neck plate.
    Anybody have any info, that would be great.
    The cows were added later.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    System III Stratocaster
    2 single coil and 1 humbucker pickups, 5 position selector switch, coil splitter, 1 volume 1 tbx, system III tremolo, rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale length, side mounted output jack. MIM Tele,Strat Clone & Tele Clone projects

Re: Greco Electric Bass

I've seen Greco P bass and Jazz bass copies,but I can't find any Greco Fender bass copy on the net that has that pickup configuration. Also, if Greco made a copy of the Fender Deluxe P bass, which has a P bass and Jazz bass pickup, I would think they would have used one of their Jazz bass pickups at the bridge, which look just like a Fender Jazz bass pickup. The one on your bass doesn't,which leads me to think that someone might have added that pickup and the selector switch. I would post this on the VintAxe site. Here's a link to Japanese guitar page of the forum. There's some pretty knowledgable people over there.
    http://www.vintaxe.com/boards/viewfo...8ce979f1608407

Wow, I wasn't the only guy to put Mr. Yuk stickers on my instruments in the early 80's.

Mr. Yuk is mean.
    Mr. Yuk is green.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Thanks for the replys!
    I was wondering if the Greco neck was added to a Matsumoku / Tokai body. Who knows. Will post results if I find anything.
    This thing weighs a ton!
    System III Stratocaster
    2 single coil and 1 humbucker pickups, 5 position selector switch, coil splitter, 1 volume 1 tbx, system III tremolo, rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale length, side mounted output jack. MIM Tele,Strat Clone & Tele Clone projects

Your Greco bass was indeed made by Matsumku. From the net:

"The Greco Fender replicas from the late 1970s and early 1980s are very much like the early Fender Japan models. The Greco Fender replicas made by Matsumoku have Matsumoku stamped on the neckplate and the other Greco Fender replicas were made by Fuji-Gen Gakki."
    Last edited by spud1950; 05-19-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spud1950 View Post
    Your Greco bass was indeed made by Matsumku. From the net:

"The Greco Fender replicas from the late 1970s and early 1980s are very much like the early Fender Japan models. The Greco Fender replicas made by Matsumoku have Matsumoku stamped on the neckplate and the other Greco Fender replicas were made by Fuji-Gen Gakki."
    I read that as well but have yet to find another one like this one.

Did registered over at Vintage Axe and the Tokai forum (they have a Greco section ) so we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Wow, I wasn't the only guy to put Mr. Yuk stickers on my instruments in the early 80's.

Mr. Yuk is mean.
    Mr. Yuk is green.
    There was nothing like the 80s!
    System III Stratocaster

A little update from the folks over at the
    Vintage Axe site...
    http://vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic....cbca40d46#3145

"Which first shows up in 1975 & seems to run through to 1977 before disappearing."

http://psyco.jp/greco/p/c03_07.jpg

Thanks Spud1950!
    System III Stratocaster

Wow,very cool. A rare model made only for the Japanese domestic market. Those old Greco guitars are real high quality instruments,just as good or as a lot of people contend,better then the real Fenders of the same time period.Is this something you recently aquired?

Here's info I found on the net about Greco serial numbers:

"Greco guitars are fairly easy to date. The letter that (may) begin the serial number corresponds with the month of production, and the next 2 digits tell the year. For example: E804235 would be a May, 1980 “Super Real” model, production number 4,235."

So, being that yours is A760228, it would be January,1976,production number 228.
    Last edited by spud1950; 05-21-2008 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spud1950 View Post
    Wow,very cool. A rare model made only for the Japanese domestic market. Those old Greco guitars are real high quality instruments,just as good or as a lot of people contend,better then the real Fenders of the same time period.Is this something you recently aquired?
    A buddy of mine who I have been in a few bands with, gave it to me
    about 4 years ago. He had it for maybe 8 years before that sitting around. He built a bass from the Carvin kit (very nice by the way) and the Greco sat and was in his way so that's how I acquired it
    Last edited by rockntommy; 12-17-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    System III Stratocaster

Forum Member

many japanese guitars from the 70s and 80s are not easy to date, some greco`s are...all the evidence points to the letter being the month and the first two digits being the year...a system adopted by the early fernandes guitars too...but it seems that was changed at some point. but they originally had the Gneco logo...those do not have a serial number date...however my books say they went from Gneco to Greco mid 70s...`74 or `75 seems to be the time that happened but as is often the case, there may be some overlap so it is possible some models vary...but generally that seems to be what the Japanese authors who write on MIJs think. record keeping was not always a priority back in the golden years and prior.
    I own a few mid/late 70s greco strats and they are real nice guitars the higher up you go...my 600 series is at least 4 pieces of wood, my 700 looks like 2 and my 800 series certainly is 2 pieces off center joined, there`s a reason F/USA went with the factory building some grecos when they decided to start up their line here. evidently there was more than one factory building greco`s so they do not all have the same features used to ID them...some factories used different routing for example as well as headstock inlays. one thing everybody can agree on though...there are some excellent greco guitars from the years prior to the super reals, which many people seem to be after now. i think my 3 greco strats are made from sen wood which varies in weight...all have the natural finish.
    as always...nothing is carved in stone with these older MIJs, so many variables like shop orders and one offs, so experts who make statements leaving no wiggle room are often proved incorrect. the #1 rule is...there are no rules.
    Last edited by sneaky; 05-24-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    shoganai ne