Thread: Squire jv ..?

Forum Member

Squire jv ..?

I have an olympic white squire with maple neck.
    I changed the scratchplate from black to a white one.

The date on the neck is 83 in pencil is this a JV or a 57-re ?
    The number on the plate is jv56607

I dont know much about this guitar as i traded it for one of my guitars years ago with a guy who knew nothing about guitars.
    It was supposed to have been used by tom yorke from radiohead but i have no way to prove that and it could be bull ..?

If anyone can give me any info on the guitar and if the white with maple neck is rare i would be graetful.

chris
    Last edited by cn-wright; 05-14-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: Squire jv ..?

The dates are correct for a JV series. Yours is a '57 reissue, made in Japan Squier. They were manufactured in about late '81 thru '83, I believe.
    Top quality parts and construction (rivaled and some say surpassed US made Fenders at the time) .
    The JV series is probably the most sought after of the early Japanese Squiers. White with maple is probably not rare, in fact it is probably one of the more common combos.

I haven't priced them on eBay for a while, but a few years ago they were selling from $500 to $700.
    I sold a '62 reissue JV four years ago for $600 and regret it.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

A few more pictures of the guitar.

Thanks for the info i have to say i dont think i would sell the guitar it sounds amazing its so comfy and i never get board of it i have a few other guitars but this is my no1

Any idea what the CBE in pencil on the body stands for..?

Forum Member

as far as I know FJ productin began in the spring of 1982. I own a few JVs but none are squires...can`t help you there but...ask these guys...

http://www.21frets.com/
    shoganai ne

You'll find extensive and very detailed info here at the excellent "Squier JV Pages" site.

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvstratocaster.htm

The dates are correct for a JV series. Yours is a '57 reissue, made in Japan Squier.
    There is an inconsistency here. The '57 model JV Squiers have the maple boards,the '62 version have the rosewood board.But the '57 came with an 8 screw pickguard,not an 11 as on the '62. So yours having the maple board would assumingly be the '57 version,but that pickguard would not have been the original issue.
    Last edited by spud1950; 05-29-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spud1950 View Post
    .There is an inconsistency here. The '57 model JV Squiers have the maple boards,the '62 version have the rosewood board.But the '57 came with an 8 screw pickguard,not an 11 as on the '62. So yours having the maple board would assumingly be the '57 version,but that pickguard would not have been the original issue.

If you re-read his initial post, he changed out the guard (scratchplate).

If you re-read his initial post, he changed out the guard (scratchplate).
    Whoops,missed that.But, as it says on the Squier JV site as to both the '57 and '62 :

" Note also that the correct colour for an export JV Strat pickguard is white, regardless of vintage year."

So the black guard that came on his guitar was not original anyway. Anyway,if it were my guitar, that would lead me to take the guard off and compare the pickups and electronics to the pictures on the site to try and determine if they are original or not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spud1950 View Post
    You'll find extensive and very detailed info here at the excellent "Squier JV Pages" site.

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvstratocaster.htm
    didn`t I post that same link above?
    being invisible could have it`s advantages...`spose I could walk into a bank and fill my pockets without anybody noticing?
    shoganai ne

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

...`spose I could walk into a bank and fill my pockets without anybody noticing?
    yer name IS 'sneaky', isn't it?
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

I love that colour. I bought this one last Thursday.