Thread: 1961 Jazzmaster Nut Width

Forum Member

1961 Jazzmaster Nut Width

I've gotten conflicting reports that the '61 Jazzmaster's have a nut width of either 1-5/8" or 1-3/4". I had someone tell me that some from 61 have 1-3/4" nut width. It's my understanding that Fender only built 1-5/8" nut widths (except for possible custom necks) until 1962, when they brought back the neck/date stamps. Can anyone verify any of this info? I am interested in getting a '61 and would like to make sure I am getting a 1-5/8" nut. Thanks!

John

Re: 1961 Jazzmaster Nut Width

My '60 is 1-5/8. 1-3/4 would be awfully big for those days. I do know that different Jazzmasters will have different e-e string spacing on the nut and someone might have played a wide one and thought that the neck itself was wider. The mid-Sixties Fender price list showed a mess of available widths, maybe five choices or so, available on order.

I'm pretty sure that A, B, C and D neck widths were available on all of the professional models upon request.

That doesn't mean that m/any of them were made on a particular model.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Indeed, Kap'n. Mr. Duchossoir's Stratocaster book lists the following data for vintage neck widths at the nut:

"A" -- 1 1/2"
    "B" -- 1 5/8" (the most common)
    "C" -- 1 3/4"
    "D" -- 1 7/8" (extremely rare)

I believe these designations were used with the Jaguar and Jazzmaster necks as well.

HTH