Thread: Instrumental Surf Rock performed on 45 year old equipment.

Instrumental Surf Rock performed on 45 year old equipment.

Wave Invasion will be performing at the San Dimas Farmer's market on Wednesday, May 14th from 5:30 to 8:45.

245 E Bonita Ave
    San Dimas, CA 91773

It's a free show so with gas it'll only cost you about $40 for the evening.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Re: Instrumental Surf Rock performed on 45 year old equipment.

Wave Invasion played for the San Dimas Farmer's market again wednesday night and had a great time as usual. We invited the kids up and had a lot of "help" from them. In order to keep it interesting for us we took a few risks with the material. Gary and I had worked up a cool version of the Beach Boys "In My Room" and since the chord progression is vaguely similar to "Endless Summer" we used the rhythm pattern for "In My Room" and morphed it into "Endless Summer". We didn't tell Richard our bass player or Jeff our drummer so the entire thing was a whole new arrangement that we'd never done before and these guys pulled it off without a snag. They are a lot of fun to perform with. Here's a few pics.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

TFF Stage Crew

Okay, because I'm a geek and those pics are great, walk me through your rig there in terms of what's plugged into what.

The most important part of that rig is the Oly white reverse strat.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

It's not as complicated as it looks. The guitar goes to a Bad Monkey or an original TS9 which is just used as a clean boost for sustainy type parts. From there it goes into the Boss GT8 which is used only for delays, reverbs, tremolo, and leslie type FX or anything whacky we might need like spaceship sounds for the intro to Telstar. I use a 1965 Showman and a 1963 Bassman together and use the Showman amp for the clean part of my sound and the Bassman to add just a touch of hair to my sound. A lot of guys use one amp turned up to 8 or 9 but I find that produces more electronic noise than I like so I have my amps set on 4 or 5 to I get about the same volume but with more spread and without venturing into the noise or overdriven tones unless I want them. One side out of the GT8 goes directly to the input of the Normal channel of the blonde Bassman which is then jumpered over to the Bass channel of the head to add some bottom and thicken the tone. The other output of the GT8 goes to the input of an Ernie Ball volume pedal. The "tuner" out of that pedal is always on so I plug it into the Vibrato channel of the '65 Showman. The other output of the pedal that is actually controlled by the treadle goes to the input of the 1976 reverb tank or a 1962 reverb tank which is then fed to the Normal channel of the Showman. This way I can add just a bit of the tank reverb to my main sound or I can get it completey wet for special effect type things. When used the way most players use the reverb tank it's kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of deal and you can get only one sound unless you keep adjusting it for each song. With my setup I can change it any way I want even if I'm in the middle of a phrase and want to go from a relatively dry sound to a dripping wet tone or anything in between just by adjusting the volume pedal.

Here's a link to a bigger picture.
    VM

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    The most important part of that rig is the Oly white reverse strat.

I can't tell you how much I dig playing that guitar. It seems to really fit the way I play.
    VM

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks Fripp. Very cool concepts.

That's a crazy setup man. I kind of had the same idea for my setup, only using an A/B switch(switching between A and A+B) for adding reverb/delay through a 2nd amp. I just need another Vibrolux...

I like your idea with the volume pedal though, that's pure genius. I might steal that.

cool use of the "air guitar concept"

looks like it was fun

and thats what its all about

Quote Originally Posted by Fripperton View Post
    It's not as complicated as it looks. The guitar goes to a Bad Monkey or an original TS9 which is just used as a clean boost for sustainy type parts. From there it goes into the Boss GT8 which is used only for delays, reverbs, tremolo, and leslie type FX or anything whacky we might need like spaceship sounds for the intro to Telstar. I use a 1965 Showman and a 1963 Bassman together and use the Showman amp for the clean part of my sound and the Bassman to add just a touch of hair to my sound. A lot of guys use one amp turned up to 8 or 9 but I find that produces more electronic noise than I like so I have my amps set on 4 or 5 to I get about the same volume but with more spread and without venturing into the noise or overdriven tones unless I want them. One side out of the GT8 goes directly to the input of the Normal channel of the blonde Bassman which is then jumpered over to the Bass channel of the head to add some bottom and thicken the tone. The other output of the GT8 goes to the input of an Ernie Ball volume pedal. The "tuner" out of that pedal is always on so I plug it into the Vibrato channel of the '65 Showman. The other output of the pedal that is actually controlled by the treadle goes to the input of the 1976 reverb tank or a 1962 reverb tank which is then fed to the Normal channel of the Showman. This way I can add just a bit of the tank reverb to my main sound or I can get it completey wet for special effect type things. When used the way most players use the reverb tank it's kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of deal and you can get only one sound unless you keep adjusting it for each song. With my setup I can change it any way I want even if I'm in the middle of a phrase and want to go from a relatively dry sound to a dripping wet tone or anything in between just by adjusting the volume pedal.

THAT'S not complicated?!?!
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish View Post
    THAT'S not complicated?!?!

It's not as complicated as it looks.
    VM

Your reverb tank configuration is brilliant!

Forum Member

Vince rocks.