Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Specials- Are They Worth It?

Re: Texas Specials- Are They Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by jamisonst View Post
    I friend brought his Am Std. over with Texas Specials this weekend. I thought the Dimarzio's sounded bad (A58, A61), but I can't stand the TS's. Thin and bright, very weak sounding. I don't where the Texas or Special is in the Texas Specials, or the midrange yall keep talking about either for that matter. Talk about missing the mark!
    Okay so what do you like and recomend instead ?

I personally own and dig the TS Strat ( newer style less DC resistance and more vintage sounding ) and TS Tele pups along with Area 58's and 61's and think they sound great are some of my favorite pups for vintage spank. I do think the 58's and 61's need No-Load pots to improve clarity and then they sound killer.

Tone is very subjective and Tone is in the fingers.

I like my Strat TS fine. They need to be set pretty low to work for my taste, but they sound decent to me then.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Earlier in this thread there was a point made about there being a possible difference between older TX Specials and newer ones. I don't know if there's any confirmation yet, but it seems to explain the wide range of opinions on these.

If this is the case, I must have an older set, because mine sound great and get's all kinds of classic Strat sounds that I'm after.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    If this is the case, I must have an older set, because mine sound great and get's all kinds of classic Strat sounds that I'm after.
    What are you comparing them to NT? Because w/o a comparison there is really no way to rate them. Ya know, it's kinda like when I got my first real girlfriend at 16. I thought wow - so this is what it's all about, yippee! Then when I got my second one at 17, I said no, no, THIS is what's it all about, woo-hoo! I thought a few of the Fender Strat PU offerings sounded pretty good to my ear, til I put a set of calibrated VZ's in a Strat clone. Then it was, oh boy, this is like my second girlfriend (still trying to find something that hot after 30+ years and lotsa prospects, LOL).

Good points, Gris.

I had the sounds in my head. The sounds that I realized that Strats make. Might not be classic 1950s Strat, might not be 1960s Strat, but I've definitely heard these sounds in MANY recordings of the guys I liked to listen to.

I've tried many Strats in stores both cheap and expensive. I've tried a few different pickup sets. I've had several different teachers with different high-dollar Strats and know just how they sounded. But this set of CS TX Specials I got of fleaBay with a pickguard for $90 are the ones I kept. I'm not saying that this is the be-all and end-all Strat, but it's a keeper for me.

There has always been a big debate on these pickups all over the 'net. Most folks dismiss them as SRV wanna-be pups. But someone earlier in this thread mentioned there might be a difference in this brand of pups based on their age. As if their manufacturing changed somehow and there are some 'orignal issue' TX Specials and 'reissues' maybe.

That thought sort of made sense to me in light of the big debate on these pups. I'm not claiming it as true.

I chose my words carefully in what you quoted from me. The set that I have are keepers for me. But you know, they very well might not even be TX Specials, after all. All I can say is that they have the Fender CS logo stickers on them, cloth covered leads, and have staggered, non-beveled pole pieces.

Maybe they're something else altogether? I almost don't care...the selector switch does exacty what I expect it to do sonically, and that's enough for me.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Earlier in this thread there was a point made about there being a possible difference between older TX Specials and newer ones. I don't know if there's any confirmation yet, but it seems to explain the wide range of opinions on these.

True Dat !

Like I posted earlier, TS Strat pup specs have changed over the years. DC Resistance has changed from more windings to less and Non RWP Middle pup to RWP Middle pup. If you have the older ones than you may have more windings (Generally a thicker sound ) and that may be the sound you love. Others may find that Overwound sound to be harsh.

Less windings ( Newer style like mine) tend to be more vintage sounding with a brighter sound.

We should really do a thread on TS DC Resistance specs just to show people the differance
    and also list if your set is RWP or not. I'll start:

My ( Newer style) TS Bridge pup is 6.45k, Middle pup 6.3k and Neck 6.1 k wich are within current day tolerance. Middle pup is RWP

Peace

Forum Member

if you are still considering getting new pickups, at least give the GFS pickups a chance. i bought a set of the '64 stagger grey bottom vintage wound pups and they sound great. it doesnt say it on the website, but the middle pup is RWRP. the middle pickup did not want to fire up, so i shot Jay at GFS an email and he overnighted me another middle pickup, no questions asked. now that's customer service!

About when were the changes made? I do not want to pull the pickguard to check mine. It is a reverse wound middle, but the pickup are probably 4-5 years old I think.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    I had a Strat set and I thought they sounded a little dull and 2-dimensional. Their Fat 50's are waaaaaaaay better if you ask me.
    I agree...subjectively speaking of course I really like the Fat 50's and have dropped some in a MIM Strat and the results were fantastic... you might just like those, great value in Fender Pickups imho

I've tried TS, CS 69, CS 57/62, SCN, VN and GFS 60 Repros. I really like the CS69, then the GFS, then the VN, then SCN then CS 57/62 and last and least the TS. Now I like a nice chimey vintage sounding pickup in my strat. If I want a heavy midrang sound I pull out one of my Heritage or Gibson guitars or my PRS triple SB.

Texas Specials are neither from Texas nor special. Talk amongst yourselves.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

No one seems to have mentioned that the "middley" tone of the Texas Specials is partly due to the staggering of the pole pieces esp. on the D, G & B strings - the pole on the G in particular is the right height for a wound string and is "louder" when used with a plain (unwound) G. compared to the D & G strings the pole for the B is really low and makes the B string sound noticeably quieter in comparison. That's my only gripe with them.

& as has been said above, they need to be set up lower than the standard vintage pups.

Last edited by Direstraits; 09-13-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added photo

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

I assume that amp settings will have an effect on the tone of the TS set. turn off bright switch, less treble, etc. (?)

I'm installing a set today in a California Series Strat and will gladly "chime" in with an "unbiased" opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespower View Post
    I assume that amp settings will have an effect on the tone of the TS set. turn off bright switch, less treble, etc. (?)
    Sure, but who uses a bright switch with a strat to begin with?

In any case, you can EQ all you want, but you can't change the inherent sound of an instrument and it's pickups.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

True, but,
    I have used the bright switch with Strats, and, although I mostly agree with the inherent thing, the other day I heard a very good jazz player using an Evans amp and a strat which he could make sound like big fat Gibson.

I'm installing a set today in a California Series Strat and will gladly "chime" in with an "unbiased" opinion.
    To be completely fair, I didn't really play the guitar that I had them in (and hated) loud often enough to get a complete feel for the TS. I just knew that I truly hated the way they sounded at low to medium volume in that guitar. So ... perhaps they sound good through a cranked amp. I dunno.

I like the TS set quite a bit. I installed them and have adjusted them to the correct height for a true feel. the bridge is over 7k while the neck and middle are around 6.3 to 6.5k

I'm getting a good vintage sound, not thin or brittle. and when cranked, some nice bite.

I've had Duncan 59 and pearlys, fralin blues - hot, 57/62, Lace,
    Rolph's 60's, GFS 60's, standard USA 90's, Tex Mex, etc.

Of course, the guitar / the amp / the player / style, will all have an effect on the tone.

ALSO,
    I'm am reminded of something that we already know,
    the type of amp that they are plugged into makes a VERY BIG difference in the tone of these particular pickups. MOre than most.

Sound sweet through the DRRI or my Old Flame. Not so good through others

Sound sweet through the DRRI or my Old Flame. Not so good through others
    I think they sound great in my Tweed Pro (clone). Not as much in a BF amp...at least the ones I tried them in.

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    you can EQ all you want, but you can't change the inherent sound of an instrument and it's pickups.
    Yes, but ... some of these high impedance pedals seem to open up some pickups...