Thread: Questions about computer recording vs stand alone recorder?

Questions about computer recording vs Boss BR recorders?

I recently bought, but returned a Boss micro BR. I liked that the drums could be added so easy. It worked well for me, but I didn't like the small format, and the mp3 player wasn't a selling point for me.

I've never figured how to add drums to audicity or any recording program. It was so easy on the micro br, which is why I moved away from the computer.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Br-600, but for cost reasons, are the br864 or br532 comparable to the 600, just older.

What are the major differences?

Thanks,

Cyber
    Last edited by CyberStrat; 05-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.

Re: Questions about computer recording vs stand alone recorder?

I like standalone, for simplicity. I do use both, however...often primaries are done on my Tascam DP01FX, then onto the computer for extra stuff and mastering.

But, most folks on here champion the PC or Mac-based solutions.

I'm not familiar with the Boss stuff; but my Tascam is very easy to use...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: Questions about computer recording vs stand alone recorder?

I can't help you with the various stand-alone recorder & rhythm machines -- I'm one of the computer-based partisans when it comes to versatile home recording platforms.

But as I've experienced it, getting good sounding, realistic, varied and 'pro' level drum sounds is one of the toughest nuts to crack for a guitarist working alone. Turns out all those drummers are good for something after all!

But I'd say it can depend on what your goals are. Composing from scratch? or just playing along? Even rudimentary drum machines like my old DR-660 Dr. Rhythm can provide the basics -- essentially a slightly fancy metronome with a few variations unless you get deep into midi programming. But programming drums, for me, can be a huge time sinkhole, dependent on good sounds to begin with. So... I don't go that route much.

I've had pretty good success with loop libraries on the computer -- either audio or midi-based snippets that can be put together like musical legos in a computer. They're usually organized in "families" of compatible drum riffs for verses, choruses, intros, outros, fills, etc. You can easily stretch or compress the tempo, or for midi-based ones change the instrumentation (the "kit"). Since they come from professional drummers (usually) they're a ready-made source of swing, dynamics, and nuance -- the variety and human touch not easily achieved when you're dropping in 16th notes one at a time on a grid. I find it much easier to put something together with such loops... but I haven't really kicked the tires on the current technology, be it software or mechanical programming...

Kind of worthless commentary, I see. Sorry!

Re: Questions about computer recording vs Boss BR recorders

The more I think about it, a more specific question is:

Other than 4 or 8 tracks, what improvements are on the BR600 over the BR532 or BR864?