Thread: I have questions about floor monitors?

I have questions about floor monitors?

Hey,

I've started playing in a band, and as were growing to larger places, I wanted to pick up some floor monitors. I'm looking for suggestions, that don't break the bank, or should I buy quality over quantity for monitors?

To give you some info, we have 2 guitars, bass, and currently use a drum machine, but are looking for a drummer.

We use a peavey xr-600 (400rms) with some peavey pr15's for mains. We want to use a Behringer powered mixer (PMH2000) for powering the monitors. I think the Behringer is capable of 500 W @8 ohms.

So on to the monitors. To start with I was going to pick up 2 monitors, but I think eventually we'll want 4. I see MF has some Kustom 12" at $79 and there are some Behringers @ $109. However I'm not understanding the wattage...there only rated for 80-100 watts, and how can the Behringer be rated for 80w continious, but 320 peak.

I'm just not sure what to look for? Can you give me some ideas? Suggestions on what to pick up?

CyberStrat
    Last edited by CyberStrat; 04-29-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Re: I have questions about floor monitors?

I wouldn't even look any further than a recent pair of Yamaha 12's or 15's with the horn drivers. These things can be had for under $300 a pair and you'll never grow out of them and if you build a bigger PA over time they'll fit right in.
    I'd advise buying clean used pro grade stuff for pennies on the dollar that will last almost forever, and you'll prefer what you hear. And forget about power for the Yamaha's---if you run a clean undistorted signal they'll take in excess of the rated power, and most important they are efficient---i.e. you need much less power for more volume. When you buy efficient cabs you can save $$$ on power.
    Jason S.
    For more info. visit Caffeinelive.com or see kaos at mdparty.com

Can you post a link for the yamaha monitors? What I'm finding is $500, and that's a little out of my price range, but I could start with one.

Any comments on a Fender 1270, is a small, light weight 10" monitor. I guess used with the passport PA.

Cyber

Crossfyre have been using the Kustoms with the 10" speakers for a couple of years with good results. They are cheap, reliable, and do what we need them to do, which is to enable me and the others to be able to hear my vocals. Would they work in a larger format, to put all the instruments through? Nope. But at less than 50 bucks a pop, they're easy to like.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I just wanted to give an update. I picked up some Peavey PV112 monitors. Got them for $175 a piece. Peavey gear has never failed me yet.

Something I came across while looking, I found some old stock Behringer 12" monitors. They sold for $200 new, and they seem to be made way better than the cheap new ones that are now sold for $80-$110.

PV and Yamaha stuff is decent for the money - especially used. However, if you're used, try before you buy. Listen for a raspy top end - a sure sign of a blown tweeter.

If you're shopping new, try a bunch of different things out. Lesser quality stuff has a hole at the crossover point between woofer and tweeter, right in the middle of the vocal range - rendering them useless.

If you can score a set of Turbosound TXD-12M or 15M speakers used, scoop 'em up. I have a set of four of the 12M's, and mix/match them as mains/monitors. Great sound if you're not pushing a lot of bass, can handle some power, and are pretty light weight.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Amen on the last comments. Go for horn loaded high end whenever possible. Vastly better power handling, projection, clarity, and way better midrange.
    Jason S.
    For more info. visit Caffeinelive.com or see kaos at mdparty.com