Thread: My first "gig" ever

My first "gig" ever

Went without a hitch! Well, almost.

Did 3 songs. 1st was with my cuz, and she sang bonnie rait's love me like a man, I did leads. Next I did SRV's cold shot, and because I don't sing as loud as the last group, you couldn't hear me. And as soon as I sang the verse "My touch don't mean a thing" the bass guy (max) went to move the mic and got 120 volts right through his fingers, he jumped and yelped like he was being shot at! haha

Third song is the one I have video up of, it's SRV's "Texas Flood", and it went PERFECTLY. Even playing through the house amp (Super Reverb I believe, I didn't ask or really look) it sounded damn good. Thank you GFS pickups! [/suckup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aOLQZ5SHCA
    The grounds were bad at the bar, so the single coils buzzed like crazy. Comment, rate, do whatever. I think I did alright, I'm happy, and I had a blast.

PS- Listen at the end
    Max- "How old are you?"
    Me- "I'm 16"
    Max- "16, he's 21"
    Random- "HAVE A BEER!!"

Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Re: My first "gig" ever

Well done my friend. Welcome to the fraternity.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Congrats.
    It's all down hill from here.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

you say you're 16?

hot damn! Thats some great playing. Feels great to have that first one down though, doesn't it?

Yep I'm 16. I think I do alright I guess. :P

And I'll be playing at moondogs Sunday, if any of you have ever heard of it, it's outside Pittsburgh, PA. I'll have a little jam with a local guy, who's damn good, Jimmy Adler. (spelling?)

I'll hopefully have that on recording too. I'd love to go up and do "Red House"!
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Great playing!

You can hear there's a ground issue there, though. Zaps just don't hurt - they can kill you. Get the house guy to sort it out for you.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Great stuff!

All these guys who think they need to buy an SRV sig Strat or a "Lenny" repro to cop Stevie Ray's sound need to see this video of Joob playing a Stagg Jazzmaster with GFS pups through the house amp!
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Great stuff!

All these guys who think they need to buy an SRV sig Strat or a "Lenny" repro to cop Stevie Ray's sound need to see this video of Joob playing a Stagg Jazzmaster with GFS pups through the house amp!

That's one of the best compliments I've had in a while! I play the guitar because it plays and sounds good, not because of a fender badge!

Hey Joobsauce, great playing ! Nice first gig!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Wow dude! Nice job! If I had your chops at your age...damn. Effin' impressive!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Now thats some good stuff
    Hell is full of musical amateurs: music is the brandy of the damned.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) act 3
    Iron Maiden is selling out arenas all over the world as we speak! Metal is not dead. The only thing Kurt Cobain killed was himself!! (Some random Forum Guy)

Forum Member

BRAVO JOOB!!!
    Felt good didnt it...and good playing man..

Thanks guys! Going to play another open mix night today! yippie! Will have video if the night goes ok!

NEW VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjULNAb3Sw

My tone was a little hot for Jimmy, who was ONE HELL of a guitarist. I'm coming down with a much more mellow tone, something like a cross between his and Larry Carlton next time with my new Ibanez Artcore. :)

PS- Guitaroff exactly at the 4 minute mark. I held my own with a pro I think.

TFF Stage Crew

That was really enjoyable. If there was anything I'd say as constructive commentary, I'd say that you need to keep working on your listening. You can really tell how he listens to you and plays something musical in response to what you do, and then on your turns its kind of like, "Looka what I can do." Music is communicating.

Sounds great though--keep on at it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    That was really enjoyable. If there was anything I'd say as constructive commentary, I'd say that you need to keep working on your listening. You can really tell how he listens to you and plays something musical in response to what you do, and then on your turns its kind of like, "Looka what I can do." Music is communicating.

Sounds great though--keep on at it!!!

Damn you're right. I'll keep that in mind!
    and thank you!

You did fine. pc is right about the listening part, but that's a skill you'll develop as you get more comfortable playing in a live situation. Plus, when you play all night it's easier ( and sometimes required!) that you reserve some stuff for later. When you jam with a band and you only get a few songs you are more inclined to play a little harder and squeeze as much guitar playing as you can into the time you have.

All in all, a fine job. Keep it going!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim