Thread: Ho much do Nickel Strings Save on Fretwear?

Ho much do Nickel Strings Save on Fretwear?

In the last couple of months I've switched over to GHS Nickel Rocker Strings, I really like the sounds I'm getting out of them (on a strat and a 335). You have to change them a little more often, but that's no big deal. I was just wondering how much Nickel strings saved on fret wear and tear? I would think that since nickel is softer than Stainless that my frets might not take as much punishment as before? Is it just me or does it seem like Fender is using softer material for frets these days?

I've used nickel strings since the '70s, and my guitars have always showed very little fret wear. I've never used other strings though, so can't make a comparison.

Very little wear with nickel. Stainless strings are the ones that kills frets!

most of my fretwear is under the unwound strings (usually, g, b or both). Aren't all plain strings pretty much the same composition-wise?
    5E3 Deluxe, '74 hardtail, Strat XII, many copies.

Forum Member
    Yeah. Even if you use stainless steel-wound strings, the plain strings will ALWAYS wear the frets faster. That's why I tell people not to worry about extra fret wear when they try SS strings.

That makes sense. I was just wondering if it might be a little added bonus to switching to the nickel strings. I like the more mellow sound they give me.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    If you like the sound (I do) then go for it! :)

Wouldn't the unwound strings wear more just because they are used more? I mean, I don't do much on the wound strings in the upper register, not enough to really wear the frets anyway.
    The man with magic hands.

If you go to the Les Paul Forum under Dan's column and search Stainless Frets then Fret Wear under user brianf you will see that the frets don't actually wear away. It is the constant compression that makes the marks and grooves. As Dan says you never see the worn fret metal on the finger board.

So I guess string material does not add to fret wear. As Scott Stulken adds most of the wear is on the E B and G anyway. I hope Dan E. sees this to correct any info I may have misquoted.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

wow. that's interesting, I never thought of it that way.
    FIND THE HALFLINGS!! UNGH!! FIND THE HALFLINGS!!

That is a really interesting point brianf, I never thought about it that way. If it is compression then nothing short of altering your playing style will impact fretwear. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 07-29-2002 at 06:26 PM.

To ShawnRT

If you want to eliminate wear completely, get stainless steel frets installed.

Again go to the Les Paul Forum and do a search under Dan's column. Actually here it is!!!

http://lespaulforum.com/forum/showth...threadid=12212

These things should work great. They seem tough to work with though.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

I just ordered a Warmoth with stainless. I wear frets pretty bad, when using nickle or stainless. Howm much bending and verbrato seem to play a roll in it.

I noticed on my Martin acoustic that the bronze strings I put on a couple weeks ago need to be changed as I have worn the winding through on the "g" and nearly so ont he "d" and "a."

Dale
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Hey BrianF,
    I was actually considering installing them myself on a project guitar just to see how they work, but from what I understand Mr Erlewine has said that they are somewhat difficult to work with. Fretwear isnt a really big concern to me, I was just wondering what effect nickel strings would have. Thanks for the suggestion though. It would be nice to see more manufacturers try out the SS frets as a stock fret on higher end guitars.