Thread: Recording practice

Recording practice

We need to put together some demo stuff for applying for gigs. I know there are several recording studius out there that might work out fine. I also know that I can use my computer to record things a track at a time. I have some difficulty doing that. I get into a much better groove, and perform better (singing & guitar) when I am playing with the band.

I want to try recording a practice to see how it works.

My first idea is to set up a digital recorder and see how it sounds.

My second idea is to set up a laptop (I have an old pentium 500 that might work). Put on an old verson of Acid 3.0 that I have (I think anything newer would have difficulty running on this old computer).
    [I also might just bring my desktop computer with Acid 4.0 - It would work much better]

I have an Audio Duo (into the computer via USB) which will allow me to set up two mics for two tracks to mix later.

Now for a few stoopid ????s...

1. Can I use an M-audio Duo thru the USB and the computer's built in sound card to pull in four tracks?

2. Assuming I've only got two signals that I can record with, what should they be? Two ambient room mics? One ambient room condenser mic, and one of just vocals to mix in?

Any other suggestions, experiences would be appreciated too.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Re: Recording practice

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    1. Just record stereo.
    2. Two ambient room mics.
    3. onto minidisc...

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    1. Just record stereo.
    2. Two ambient room mics.

Acid 3.0 will be fine.
    +1

We've been recording our practices since almost day one using a setup similar to this. We started with a laptop running Cubase, and are now using a Tascam DAW with two ambient mics simply for its ease of use. We put everything to the board except drums (we're drum mic challenged at the moment). The recordings really sound good considering how they're recorded. We really don't try to remix later, but our purpose for the recording is not to publish, but for internal use.

Sometimes I still will run the laptop and Cubase setup at the same time, but instead of using ambient mic's, I'll come straight off the board. This still gives us some drum bleedthrough from the vocal mics, but this purpose is to listen more to the vocals and other instruments without being hidden by loud drums.

As for recording demo's for club circulation, while you DO want to present your best sounding material, you also want to give a club owner a sample of what to expect from a "live" performance (since that's what they're paying for). A sleek recorded studio demo doesn't really do that for them. A great sounding live practice session or a few good recordings from some prior live shows will. It would be my suggestion to try and provide a mixture of all three on a sample CD for distribution.

I've also seen where a club owner won't listen to a full CD of material. So a running collage sample of material sandwiched together makes more sense. They can listen to one song "duration" and hear pieces of multiple songs contained within. If they like what they hear, you could then offer full length versions on the same CD or additional CD's. The goal would be to catch their interest as quickly as possible, but without revealing too much of the mystery.
    POO DAT!!!

I've got one of those Zoom H4 things and it does a great job.
    Just set it up out in the middle of your practice space, turn it on and hit record. Play and then hit stop. Run the recorded file into your computer, touch it up and your all set to go.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

I started thinking about dragging all my gear to practice, plus a laptop, interface, more mics, more stands....

I took some birthday money and bought a Zoom H2. It worked out pretty good. I've got to work on placement and settings to get a better recording, but its workable for right now.

I'd post clips, but we are doing covers & I think I've got to buy rights to a song in order to post it.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I've got one of those Zoom H4 things and it does a great job.
    Just set it up out in the middle of your practice space, turn it on and hit record. Play and then hit stop. Run the recorded file into your computer, touch it up and your all set to go.

I was going to suggest that, or the H2, which we used at the Jam I play at weekly. It does a really good job, is portable, easy to use and CHEAP!

I found it at one website for about $169, and another $20-30 to add a 4 gig card........at or just over $200 to be able to record anywhere, anytime, in such a small package - NO BRAINER!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    ... to be able to record anywhere, anytime, in such a small package - NO BRAINER!
    It's so easy, even a cave man could use it!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

RJ - It is prbably true, but I dont have one yet -

But I will ! ! !

http://www.gosale.com/4938023/zoom-h...FT00FQodkWOADw
    I think you could get one of many places to match the low price - and then qualify for free shipping. ANd do you see the $11.45 for the 4 gig card below?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>