Thread: Have you tried the Boss Micro BR?

Have you tried the Boss Micro BR?

Hi All,

I just bought a Micro BR. I have to say, for what it all does, it's a pretty cool tool for getting ideas down, recording rythm tracks to practice solo's, recording band practice, etc. I'm brand new to recording, and I was able to put together a rythm track with drums, and record a solo over it. All in about an hour. It sounded pretty good.

In the last 6 months I've been through a Boss GT-8, and a ToneLab LE. If I have a complaint, It would be the amp models really just don't sound very good, reminded me of why I sold the GT-8. Especially the distortion models are fuzzy and they bottem out.

Proir to selecting the Micro, I was considering the BR-600. I can only assume the 600 has the same amp models, and sounds the same? Is that correct?

I also just bought a Pod XT, I think the Pod is much better sounding than the GT-8, or the tonelab LE.

What are your opinions? I'm leaning toward using my laptop and the pod XT for recording, but I have no idea how to get drums into any recording program. That was where the Micro BR shines...It was just super easy to put it all together.

Cyber

Re: Have you tried the Boss Micro BR?

I bought one a while back for similar reasons.

I found the drums a bit tricky to get the hang of at first, but now the little thing is worth its weight in gold.

It could do with a few more tracks, but for a basic recorder for getting song ideas down and experimenting it's great. :)
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Actually, now I think about it, there is one gripe I have with the BR. It might be down to user error, though.

When I do a small recording and just set the drums to play one particular rhythm track over and over again, when I save it it seems to revert to a 130BPM tempo. Have you had this before? It seems fine when programming proper drum patterns in, but otherwise it reverts to 130.

I'm not far enough along to be able to answer your question. Seems to me though I saw a post like yours on youtube, when I was researching the BR

Cyber

Forum Member

@Power 13

The tempo of a song is saved inside an "arrangement" for the drums. If you don't create one, even a simple one, the tempo is not saved.

The most simple way to make it stick is to just go into the Rhythm section....make sure its set to ON... press ->AR...put the cursor under the P in P01 ROCK1...press + to change it to S01...press EDT....press STP....and set your tempo and pattern...press Exit, Exit Exit.

From this point forward, the tempo should be saved, though any adjustments to tempo have to be made in the Rhythm->EDT->STP page. Setting the tempo on the front page does nothing as far as a saved song goes...

I think that BOSS should have made this a little more clear on the device. Hope this helps!

Great info StewartK. Thanks

Also, welcome to the forum! I noticed you joind in 2006 and this is your first post. Slow typist?

Note to all: StewartK is a personal friend of mine, and I sometimes like giving him a hard time. He's really a good guy with some great skills and great gear. I'm glad to see him venture forth into the land of the "submit button".
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StewartK View Post
    @Power 13

The tempo of a song is saved inside an "arrangement" for the drums. If you don't create one, even a simple one, the tempo is not saved.

The most simple way to make it stick is to just go into the Rhythm section....make sure its set to ON... press ->AR...put the cursor under the P in P01 ROCK1...press + to change it to S01...press EDT....press STP....and set your tempo and pattern...press Exit, Exit Exit.

From this point forward, the tempo should be saved, though any adjustments to tempo have to be made in the Rhythm->EDT->STP page. Setting the tempo on the front page does nothing as far as a saved song goes...

I think that BOSS should have made this a little more clear on the device. Hope this helps!
    I've only just found this post. Thanks for the tip, and welcome! :)