Thread: '08 American Deluxe Strat?

'08 American Deluxe Strat?

Anybody pulled the trigger on one of these yet? I just played an '08 Standard and an '08 Deluxe (both MIA) at the local shop, and I have to admit the Deluxe was incredibly sweet. But, I'm having a tough time finding many positive reviews on the SCN p/u's. I'm a soon to be Fender owner, so...don't feel I have much to bring to this table yet, but I like to think I have a decent ear for things. And it had what I (think) to be a great "Fender sound". And the S1 switch woes have me concerned that this might not be $1200 very well spent. Any opinions?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: '08 American Deluxe Strat?

If'n it sounds good to your ear, who gives a rat's ass what some "reviewer" had to say about it? Most of what the conventional press has to say to me (about anythang) has less significance to me than the size, shape, color, and consistency of my turds.

One thing that is of import -- there have indeed been an inordinate amount of S-1 switch failures, sometimes on brand-new instruments hangin' on a rack at any one of a number of Guitar Centers. So concern for that issue is justified.

Best of luck however it plays out for you.

I have a Deluxe Tele with the S-1 stuff and SamCo pickups.
    I just love it. I love it because it's a quality instrument and makes sounds that I like.
    I understand your concern about the S-1 switch failing. I don't have that problem because I have a Tele. The problem appears to be in the Strats. Hey! It's a new guitar under warranty. Fender will handle it. They've got to know there's a problem with the switches.

Don't worry so much about it. If you like the guitar, buy it and enjoy it. If it breaks down, get it fixed. No biggie!
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

I have to point out that since I have both an Am Dlx tele and strat that the electronics are very easy to change should the Scn's or S1 switch not work for you. I'm not fond the the Scn's and never used the S1 (INMHO it just made the guitar a bit louder) so I have Kinman's in my strat and just ordered Duncan Antiquities for the tele. If it feels good and work for you get it. Both my Am. Dlx. play and feel as well or better than anything I've laid my hands on.

And they look pretty cool:

Forum Member

I have a 50th anniversary American Deluxe and a 06 Telecaster, and used to have a Standard American Strat, and all I can tell you is you will be happy with either. That being said My Deluxe has locking tuners, and I think they might have worked the neck a little more than a Standard, because it is just as comfortable as could be. I have the SCN PU's with the S-1 switch and I really like it. as for the pickups when they tested the SCN's against Vintage PU's The SCN's sometimes out performed the Vintages.

I just ordered one, but in the SSH format. On the SSH version of the '08 American Standard, there is no S-1 switching or SCN PUPs. The single coils are Tex-Mex (which I had in an older Tele and loved), and the bridge humbucker is a Diamondback, whcih I've hd in another Strat and like a lot).

The SSS and SSH versions are quite different from each other. For my money, the SSH is going to be a butt-kicker for blues and stuff like that. I should have mine in-hand by Wednesday or Thursday and will let you know.
    Visit me and my band at:
    THE ROCKIN' ROAD DOGS;
    REVERB NATION;
    or on
    FACEBOOK

"Live Free or Die"

Hi,
    I own an '05 AmDlx with the SCN's and S1 switching and absolutely love it. I think many of the SCN naysayers are long time Strat owners who are used to that certain single-coil "sparkle". The SCN's may not fully sparkle like a true SC, but I think they are more versatile overall. They sound good clean as well as when heavily distorted.

In my case I am a long time Les Paul owner and short time Strat owner and didn't at all care for the hum and tone in my first strat (MIM Standard with Fender Texas Special pickups). Therefore the SCN's are great for me. IMO, if adjusted right, they can retain most of the sparkle, but with no hum.

I'm a progressive rock fan, so the SCN's are perfect for the kind of music I like to play. With some of the S-1 settings I can get a nice Gilmour-type almost EMG pickup sound with great sustain.

So bottom line - If you are into surf music, or other music looking for super sparkly cleans, SCN's are probably not for you. But if you want a good all around pickup for covering most types of music (except maybe shredding/heavy metal), you should like the SCN's.

As with all threads of this nature, your ears are the final decision makers. Go out and try some guitars and pick the one that speaks to you. Isn't that part of the fun anyway?
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

One thing that is of import -- there have indeed been an inordinate amount of S-1 switch failures, sometimes on brand-new instruments hangin' on a rack at any one of a number of Guitar Centers. So concern for that issue is justified.
    Interesting to note that being said.

I bought an '05 Ash Cherry-burst Deluxe, brand new (in Jan '06) & after purchase (but during the initial 'set-up') it was noticed that I had a 'defective' S.1 pot/switch (sticking).

They replaced it & I've had no-trouble since ; but the fact they've dropped 'em on the new stuff kinda tells it's own story !!!!!!

Though the Deluxe is VERY nice, mine came with the same (sad) low-quality case as the Am-series did (at that time).

ok, ya DON'T play the case, but for the extra-dosh I'd expected a case to match the quality of the instrument, rather than (IMHO) the most mediocre case that Fender have sold with a new Deluxe !

Quote Originally Posted by Hornchurch View Post
    Though the Deluxe is VERY nice, mine came with the same (sad) low-quality case as the Am-series did (at that time).
    Yeah, I have to agree with you. The case is pretty cheesy.

I didn't realize they dropped the S1 on the new models, I'll have to go up to Fender.com and check 'em out.

Maybe I need to pickup a spare switch before they become even harder to come by.

Edit: I just checked Fender.com and they are still advertising the S1 system on their AmDlx's, so it doesn't look like they dropped it, unless you have some preview info that's not on their website.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree with you. The case is pretty cheesy.

I didn't realize they dropped the S1 on the new models, I'll have to go up to Fender.com and check 'em out.

Maybe I need to pickup a spare switch before they become even harder to come by.

Edit: I just checked Fender.com and they are still advertising the S1 system on their AmDlx's, so it doesn't look like they dropped it, unless you have some preview info that's not on their website.
    No, sorry I was on the understanding they'd dropped it from what I'd heard in general.

Sorry for the mis-info'

BTW, It's been said they've dropped the LEFT-HANDED 'Ash-Deluxe' Strat's which is a real-bummer, if so !

I have a american deluxe strat and baja with s1 switch, no probems.

peace