Thread: A question on a truss rod adjustment?

A question on a truss rod adjustment?

Hi All,

I let my squier 51 sit for a couple of months. I want to start going through the set up as things are way out on this one.

My first question is about a truss rod. The string height is good at the 2/3 fret, then it changes. By the 12th fret the gap from the fret wire to the bottom of the string is 6/32nds and at the 22nd fret it's 4/32. Ineed to lower the action for the way I like my string height. I'm ok with that, but since my neck looks concave, should I make a truss adjustment? How much of a turn should I start with? I assume I should turn it to the left when looking at if from the headstock end? correct?

Thanks

Cyber

Re: A question on a truss rod adjustment?

Truss rod adjustment is for relief in the neck. It's a personal preference. If you end up with more relief in the middle of the neck than at the upper and lower frets you need a shim in the front of the neck pocket. That's a general statement, not an absolute one. For starters, adjust your truss rod by tightening it until you have about the thickness of your high E string in the middle when fretting a string at the 1st and 22nd frets simultaneously, and then adjust your saddles for proper action. If it frets out on the higher frets you'll need to insert a shim. It's no biggy. Just takes a few minutes. Spending a twenty minutes getting the neck angle right will reward you with years of playing a well setup guitar.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Thanks offshore,

I feel kind like a DA for even having to ask... After I worked on it a little, the truss rod adjustment was simple. Now to lower the saddles.

Thanks,

Cyber

When you're done, you may find the saddles are too low with screws sticking out and cutting your hand. That's what a shim at the butt end of the neck will fix.