Thread: Hwy Tele

Forum Member

Hwy Tele

Anyone tried these yet??? Opinions so far??? Need to replace anything?

This is just my opinion.

The HWY1's have the same hardware as the least expensive MIM Tele STD.

Its not worth the $600 they charge for them.

A 50's or 60's Classic Tele or even an MIM STD is a better buy.

Best way to find out if possible is go to a good big Fender store and try a few out.

Last edited by Marcondo; 06-01-2003 at 03:26 AM.

Hardware alone does not a tele make. To paraphrase someone.

Same hardware, yes, but different neck and body. 22-fret neck, american shape, medium jumbo frets, 9.5" radius, alder body--not available on the MIM standard.

So, it would seem it is quite different from the MIM standard which is also no doubt a great buy.

I'm very happy with my Hwy 1. Well made, plays great, sounds great.

Tom
    Tom S.

Tweed sounds better

MIM Standards have alder bodies.

I stand corrected.

Still a different animal.
    Tom S.

Tweed sounds better

Forum Member
    and don't the MIM STDs have medium jumbos and 9,5" too?

Of course a HW1 can be a very good guitar, without doubt! But still I agree the MIMs are better bang-for-the-buck and I dislike them selling Highway Ones as "Made in USA" with all the imported HW.

The MIM STD that sells for $350 has an Alder body 9.5 radius med jumbo frets. The HWY1 has Alder body 9.5 radius 1 extra fret med jumbo frets. The HWY1 has ping hardware same as used on the MIM classic series. SO basicly its only advantage over the MIM STD are better pickups.

All Fenders except Fender Japan and Custom Shop models are all cut on the same CNC machines that make all USA Fenders in Corona California the ones designated for the MIM models are shipped across the border to mexico where they are painted in poly and assembled.

The least expensive MIM models might use more pieces of wood in the bodies they paint solid colors but if you order sunburst they use a much better quality of wood and less pieces.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 06-09-2003 at 02:44 PM.

Marcondo,

I beg to differ. According to Fender Frontline 2003 and their website, the Standard tele does have 9.5" radius fretboard, but 21 vintage style frets. I believe the 22 fret, MJ fret neck is what distinguishes the American series--hence justification for the higher price in Fender's eyes. The Hwy 1 also has a vintage style, 3-saddle bridge, whereas the standard is 6 saddle.

Tom
    Tom S.

Tweed sounds better

The 3 saddle bridge can bolt right on the MIM STD and can be purchased for $35 so an extra fret is basicly worth $200+ extra?

The Vintage style frets as listed on the MIM Stds is a misprint they do have med jumbo frets.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 06-09-2003 at 05:58 PM.

Marcando,

It's worth it if that's what you like, want, or need--all valid reasons for buying anything.

Ask your local luthier to squeeze in that 22nd fret on your MIM neck and see what he says. Slap a 22 fret neck and vintage saddles on a MIM and you've eaten your initial savings.

As for what's a "better value", that's purely a subjective thing. Obviously you see it as not worth the extra $$ and I respect your opinion.

I once had a Squier Pro Tone tele with beautiful ash body, rosewood fb, great neck and amazing tone--I paid $300--a fantastic value, but I never bonded with it because the neck was too dang skinny.

Different strokes...

Tom
    Tom S.

Tweed sounds better

Most of us will never need 22 frets.

I have a Squier Pro-tone Strat. It's light weight blond ash. Wicked tone! I paid $150 for it in excellent condition!

It was a great value, but I don't care for the skinny neck either.

I'd have a hard time deciding between an MIM Std and a Hwy 1.

I wouldn't feel bad about getting a good MIM Std if it was all my budget allowed. I have an MIM Std Jazz Bass and never regretted buying it.