Thread: New one in the family

New one in the family

A good friend of mine has encouraged me in my learning to play through the past coupl eof years, and was grateeful that I re-kindled the desire to play for him.

I also do setup work for him and on occaision, provide work advice, and help at his buisness as a favor.

He was so polaeased with my progress in playing that I will be going to a studio with him to record some of his original material......and will be using the new bass he bought for me.

I playe dabout 25-30 and had it narrowed down to this and a HH Stingray. Really a tough call for me - they both really talked to me.

Here are a couple of pics....

Her - on the right

A little closer

And .......turn a little tho the right for me baby/......

Is she a piece of Ash or what !~ ! ! !

American Deluxe P Bass - Ash - Antique Cherry Sunburst
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Gravity Jim

Re: New one in the family

I love my American Deluxe Precision (Shoreline Gold w/ maple).... congrats on the new bass and having such a great friend!

Truth is, my current career is based on a Mutual Inspiration Society and a gift from a friend, just like you describe. It's great thing... that P-bass is saturated with mojo now.

Where do I sign up to get gear bought for me?!!!

Damn nice, you lucky caveman, you!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

that's a great family pic of everyone.....
    "Even though you think you may be able to, you can't rock with an amp that will sit on a chair."

who's the whore now?

i only say that cause i'm jealous. rock on brother!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

hey chuck - help me.....my leg is stuck........(behind my ear!)

No..........don't leave me like this!
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 03-06-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    Kenny Belmont

Jim - ......

You know....its funny you say that. He is a good friend. I worked with him as part of a team comprised of members from different firms for a major company. His position was ousted - outsourced and he came back wearing a different hat. We worked together well for a number of years. we were friends, and he played music. I did not. He invited me to his place to try to play and was as patient as he could be.....this was....about 1994-95. He tried it again 2-3 times....and distance kept it from happening too much.

He moved closer to where I live and later took a job that didn't work out well for about a year. I went with him to a few sites on my off time and helped him with some projects, and did some report work for him, since I was familiar with the language. He paid me what he could.

LAter.....he was going through divorce, and I spent a lot of time on the phone and at his place - serious depression. He was alos building a large out buildign - airplane hangar and I used some vacation time to help him with it.

He bought me my first real guitar from a local mutual friend of ours. I loved that guitar - first year mim strat, with a Lasido neck and EMG pups.....he spent some time showing me a few things on it. then....I got interested in bass....

He loved that guitar too.....seemingly more than I did. So I gave it to him. He was floored. He has been running his own buisness for about 4-5 years now, and is doing pretty well. Some times are much better then others.

He came to the weekly Jam I play at and wanted to hear how I had progressed. He heard me play the night with Bromberg and some great local players that just made it all sound great.

He told me I was ready for a nicer instrument = and wanted me to go hand pick one. No mail order...... I told him I wasnt really comfortable with that.....he said jsut go do it - don't insult me.

Probably more detail than you need,.......but yeah..............HUGE KARMA and Big MOJO!

I am giving him my Music Man Bass Cabinet (1-15) to compliment his Avatar 2-10 for his studio. He does small gigs in his airplane hangar with friends from time to time.

I hope to be invited!
    Kenny Belmont

Thats a great story Frank.

But Bromberg? (David I presume) Someone just turned me on to that guys music a couple weeks ago at a party. Great tunes!

GMc
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Yep - thats him. I went to an open mic that he hosts when he isn't on tour or busy with his Violin shop about 14 months ago. I have been playing bass for the house band since my 3rd visit. I haven't been asked to leave yet....and......started bringing the PA....to make me "more invaluable!"
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

Here's my story:

The drummer in my 1970s band came into some money and bought himself a Korg 01/W Pro X... top of the line workstation at the time. I was struggling to learn MIDI with my Atari computer.

Dave sent a tape of the stuff he was doing to all the guys in the old band. I responded with some music of my own. He was really impressed with my feeble beginnings and wanted to collaborate, and thought the best way would be if we had similar systems, so he offered to buy me my own 01/W Pro X.

I said no way in hell. He asked again in three months. I said positively not. He brought it up again a few months later, and said, stop asking me, man, I'm not taking a gift that large.

Eventually, he called me one day and said they had a demo unit at Sweetwater (which is in my town) for a few hundred bucks off, and before I could say no, he said, "And you can't refuse, 'cause I already bought it and you have to go pick it up."

So... I did. I did my first pro scoring gigs with it, and it's still the master controller in my studio (I've babied it because I love the keyboard feel and don't want to replace it).

Nice -

Once in a while, I am able to do nice things for people, sometimes it works out, sometimes you get shit on. the fact that you are willing to do it again, keeps the karma going I guess. Must be based on a sliding scale of your abilities and assets or something.

I try to pay forward when I can, but I am so far behind in paying back......
    Kenny Belmont

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

You're a good man, Frank. Were that we all in a position to emulate that type of pro bono behavior. I've given/loaned/sold-for-a-song a few things in my time but never on such a grandiose scale. Your gesture re-affirms my faith in humanity and among musicians.

PLayed it out last night.....

It did very well. A bass player friend of mine layed it and I tweaked the controls.

I think it will be less bright and twangy wiht the Flats, AND possible, when these rounds are played some. I like plats though. They ARE my cup of tea.

I am really happy with the neck and the feel of the instrument as a whole. It resonates so much, I think that with flats, it will really be fantastic.

I will also pick a strap to install the straplocks for now.

we shall see what we shall see

Last edited by FrankJohnson; 03-07-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Kenny Belmont

the story rocks, you rock, and most of all it's good to see good things happen to good people.

Man.....................

Have I got one hell of a "Pay it forward" for my future "To-Do" list!
    Kenny Belmont

I put on Fender nylon wound 7120's tonight.....lets see........
    Kenny Belmont

String update - Man what a pain

I tried the original strings that came on it - they were realyl lively and way too Boingy for me. (I think 8250)

Tried DAddario chromes, and likesd them, but had bought these for another bass, and had trouble intoanting the G where it did not have a dead spot.

Tried Fender 7120s, very weird/good at the same time. Very slack tension, light and brighter sounding than I counded on. Didn't really like them. Just didn't.

Webstrings flats - Hvy - really liked the EAD but could n't get the G to intonate where the dead spots at the 5-7 freat would ego away.

I tried a set of nickle woulds from Webstrings - nice sound/feel/intonation - but I really had my heart set on Flats to reduce finger noise and dial back the highs, and give it a deeper voice.
    I was able to massage the g string 5-7 deadspots out with these.

fender 9120s, like I have on my Jag, and on eof my SX basses, had them on my Dlx Jazz. Love them. Deep voice, enough highs to make it present, not enough to make it a reincarnation of bootsy collins on Blam! Smooth to the touch, deep, rich, good match for this bass and my hands, and respond well to my amplification techniques and cabinets.

My equipment is as good as its going to get - the rest is up to me!

I noticed the 7120 strings have a cloth feel and less tension vs. the 9120 and its plastic/nylon feel and stiffer, but not overly tension.

chances area, I couold string everything I have in these 9120s or Chromes, and be happy.

I would try these though......
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetai...D=3&Class=ACCA
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 04-24-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    Kenny Belmont

I haven't tried out that many flatwound strings but the set that I have right now were voted the best flatwound strings ever by Bass Player Magazine. They are the Rotosound Jazz Bass RS77 strings. I recommend if you can fork out the money to give them a go and see how you like them.
    1971 Black/Black Fender P Bass w/ Maple Neck
    2006 Fretless Fender Jazz Bass
    Ampeg BA115 Amp
    Rotosound RS66 Roundwound strings on both guitars
    Zoom B2.1u Effects and USB recording interface
    Custom Made David Gilmour Strap for kicks

marantz2010 -

i tried a set a about 4 years ago - and honestly didn't give them a fair shake - i believe.

One day.........maybe. But i gotta tell you - its hard to jump when you have something you like!
    Kenny Belmont

i'm a rotosound bass string guy, but... the ole ricky used to have some halfwounds which sounded fantastic. in a fit though i took them off and chucked em. i wish i had them on there again. i thought they were dean markley, but i don't think they make them anymore.

DAddarrio makes a really nice set of half rounds - supposed to be warm and have brightness at the same time!
    Kenny Belmont

Great story Frank - karma is definitely what makes the better things in life happen - my '91 Strat is a product of a similar situation - and is the best danged Strat I've ever owned or played - I'd put the guy up for 6 weeks while he came over to do his Beatles pilgrimage - it was a real pain at times but he just gave me his #1 axe at the end of it - I was stunned but he insisted - I keep in touch and have mentioned that still feel 'guilty' sometimes 'cause it really is a superb player and has serious mojo coming from him - turns out some time later a guy he hadn't seen in like 30 yrs knocked on his door and handed him a Rickenbacker that he'd owned when he was a kid - just goes to show, eh! Good luck with your new squeeze!
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

IF you can find them, I was impressed with GHS pressurewounds.
    found the 1st set in a clearence bin, I think Elderlys had 'em last time
    YRMV
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?