Thread: Fender Super-Sonic, thoughts?

Fender Super-Sonic, thoughts?

Just wondering what people think of the Fender Supersonic (head or combo), I've never seen one in a music store to try but have heard sound clips over the internet (which I don't always trust). I liked the crunch from my Marshall DSL100 head but sold it because 100 watts was too much for my situation. I now own a hot rod deluxe + V30 speaker, that I actually like for the clean tones much better than the Marshall, however I miss that crunch. I know the supersonic won't have the same sound as the Marshall but will it give me the best of both worlds in one amp?

Forum Member

Re: Fender Super-Sonic, thoughts?

Hi - that is funny, I just posted a similar question to the board.

I tried one out yesterday and really liked it, but I didn't get the chance to crank it.

The Vibro/Bassman simulated cleans sound really good, and the controls for them couldn't be easier.

The "burn" settings generate a surprising amount of drive. I found it to be a bit too saturated with gain 2 cranked up. I backed off gain 2 and upped gain 1 for a ratty, midrangey sparse distortion.

I found that I really had to take some time to play with the burn channel settings, but once I did it sounded really good.

The Supersonic I tried out sounded great a low volumes, and this is where I'd use it most of the time. However - I want to make sure it sounds good cranked up as well.

I own the combo and a 2x12 extension cab. I love the amp. I have a true BF Bassman head and find the vintage channel to be a credible voicing of that amp. To my ears, you can tweak the burn channel to give a pretty nice Mashall JTM45 type of crunch. I've only had the amp a little over a month but thus far am well pleased. My partner plays a Marshall 2x12 combo or a Soldano head with a 4x12. I have no problems blending or cutting through both of his amps at need. I'm more than pleased. By the way, I did upgrade the power tubes to the GT6L6GE's which improved the smoothness and responce on an already fine amp.

If interested, check out my post in the Telecaster section for a pic of my new tele leaned against the Supersonic.

Well...I splurged and bought a Blonde/Oxblood Super-sonic head and I am so happy I did. This thing sounds way nicer than my Hot Rod Deluxe and I even like it better than my Marshall DSL100.
    Last edited by 10-15-14; 03-04-2008 at 03:30 PM.

very nice.

i mentioned in the retro rig thread that i recorded one recently, and was thoroughly impressed with dude's tone. i know all of the lit claims the same, but really, it *did* sort of nail the idealized fender clean-ish and moderately-driven tones. easy to capture, and since he had it pretty dialed in, his track basically mixed itself. score! i am also a pretty big fan of v-30's with fender amps, so i am sure that didnt hurt anything. i would post sound clips, but said band is a variety band (read: cover band). dont want no trouble with copyright and/or licensing, lol.

a

Gravity Jim

I'm no help since you already got it, but I played through one recently and was really impressed.

Nice, hope you enjoy! I've only played the clean setting, i was rushed out of the store i was playing ( they turned the power off WHILE I WAS playing, brains anyone?)Been measning to test out the burn channel. Once again though, enjoy it!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009