Thread: Eric Johnson Strat Body Id and Serial Numbers

Forum Member

Eric Johnson Strat Body Id and Serial Numbers

I'm looking at two EJ bodies and I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Can someone set me straight on this.

body #1: two color sunburst, bar code 0068928-403, Jan 24, 2006
    body #2: white, bar code 0068928-301, Apr 17, 2006

According to the Fender parts list shouldn't the color codes be 503 and 501?

body #1:
    middle pickup cavity: "SB" is stamped into the wood (not ink) ; neck pickup cavity: something is stamped in but I can't tell what it is because it's covered by bar code stickers.

body #2: middle and top pickup cavities: can't tell- covered by bar code stickers.

I also saw a body on eBay that had SB in the neck pickup cavity and what looked like a partially covered "J" in the center cavity. These are permanent (not ink), and are usually obscured by the bar code stickers. Does anyone know what these stampings mean or what they should or should not be?

Also, what's up with EJ serial numbers? It seems like they are all over the place.

The back plate that goes with body #1 (1-24-06) is s/n EJ04xxx; the plate for body #2 (3-17-06) is s/n EJ11xxx. That's a lot of numbers in between. I'm not sure but I think I have seen 4 digit EJ serial numbers with a space instead of the zero, e.g. "EJ 1234", and without, e.g. "EJ1234".

Thanks.

Re: Eric Johnson Strat Body Id and Serial Numbers

All the parts numbers that start with 00689 are exclusive to the EJ.

http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...117702APg3.pdf

Model Name Eric Johnson Stratocaster®
    Model Number 011-7702-(Color #)
    Series Artist Series
    Colors (801) White Blonde,
    (803) 2-Color Sunburst,
    (806) Black,
    (809) Candy Apple Red,
    (Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer

These color codes they list in the specs dont jive with the bar coded numbers either.

But as long as the bar codes start with 00689 you should be ok.

The serial numbers are all over the map.

They dont mean much except for the first 100 models they were made in the Custom Shop.

Forum Member

Thanks Marcondo. That's the part list I was comparing to. Any ideas about the "SB" deep body stamp in the pickup cavity? "EJ" would make more sense. The necks frequently get an "E Johnson" ink stamp along with the part number, date, and inspector.

Im not 100% sure just using logic but they probably have to use woods with better visible grain on the Sunburst Models so they are probably stamped SB before they are finished so they know which ones to use the SB finish on. With the White Blonde Candy Apple Red or Black the visible wood grain wouldnt make that much difference.

Forum Member

old old old thread like so 08 but google only returned this thread on a search of "fender 0068928-403", so I registered and I'm posting right chear! I too have the SB brand in the wood but I have 2 different code stickers plus some handwritten ones in my cavity..pics to follow..I also have a 6 digit serial number.. ej013888...I think it may be the very first one, don't it look like it to you? Cheers!

Opened her up and saw this: a upc code covering a sticker covering another upc code and a red sticker in the middle cavity:

Here are the upc's with the branded SB:

Here are the handwritten things ( the green one was under the bright top upc code):

Looks like my body acquired a neck 2 days after it was born...