Thread: UPS strikes again

UPS strikes again

Just got a j-bass tolex case in from M/F with a hole in the side of the box & right thru the bottom of the case. M/F & UPS will work it out amongst themselves I guess, but in the meantime, I got no case. UPS & Fedex are just not set up to ship guitars properly.:bigal

try not to ship in the summertime if you can,that's when they hire all the students and they really suck!
    leo fender was a genius and he didn't even play the guitar, thank god for george fullerton! ADMINISTRAITOR OF THE MESA/BOOGIE FORUM

I'm just glad it was an empty case. I wonder how many guitars UPS & Fedex have destroyed.

Originally posted by 1959burst
    try not to ship in the summertime if you can,that's when they hire all the students and they really suck!
    Thats ALL they hire all year long ! snowforbrains !! Shipping during christmas is extra scary
    I'd like to fly, but my wings have been so denied

Forum Member
    Yeah! How do you think Nick got HIS job anyway? ;)

I've had far more problems with UPS than FedEx. UPS has lost packages for weeks, put giant holes in boxes, etc. In my experience, FedEx air service is the best way to get a guitar to its destination in one piece. I almost always ship Next Day air since it leaves a lot less time for anything to go wrong. YMMV

Both Fedex and UPS gang stack packages. So lets say your guitar comes into a Fedex warehouse to sit over the weekend and it ends on the bottom of the pile it could have 2000 or more lbs stacked right on top of it. The holes in the boxes are usually from forklift blades running into the boxes.

Some of the best lookin guitars I have ever seen were ruined by Fedex and UPS both horrible companies.

For the past 5 years I've been using US Post Office for everything.

A friend of mine shipped a guitar case US Post Office cross country and didnt have a box to put it in so he just wrapped it in saran wrap. The case showed up 3 days later and the saran wrap wasnt even broken. After I saw that I switched to USPS and have been happy. I'm sure there are horror stories associated with the USPS too but for me thay have been great.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 07-29-2002 at 12:40 PM.

Forum Member

"Helloise's Helpful Hints"

Each of the Big Three (UPS, Fedex & USPS) is equally capable of destroying anything, IMO. That said, I've never had to file a damage claim with any of them. I credit a combination of good luck and common sense.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter, but overall; packing is the key. Obviously, MF should know how to pack gear; that's all they do. So, I'm not saying that was the culprit in your case (no pun intended), Gizmo. But, I've received guitars & amps that were so poorly packed, I was amazed the carrier could complete the delivery at all.

Next Day Air/Overnight/etc, isn't just faster...those parcels get much less handling & avoid the major distribution hubs for Ground parcels. That's where the damage is likely to happen. The volume moving along those conveyors on a daily basis is mind boggling! The jams created by trying to move too much freight in too little time will test your pack job, to the max. Everyone likes to rag on the driver, because that's whom they see. However, damages very seldom have anything to do directly with them. And, don't wail on the graveyard grunts too much, either. They're being whipped to maintain a frenzied pace, or hit the road (which many of them do; thus high turnover, further lowering the quality of labor).

As I said, on occasion, it won't matter how well you pack it. But, I believe those are rare exceptions to the rule. So, help yourself out as much as you can to prevent damage/loss with your shipments.

When you ship a guitar/amp, make sure it is packed tightly, with NO air pockets anywhere in the carton (stryofoam peanuts are best). Any amp that isn't double-boxed is asking for disaster. Pack the tubes separately in bubble-wrap and box them. Put that box in the cabinet and fill the cavity with bubble-wrap. Box the amp and place in shipping carton with a buffer wall of "peanuts" between the two cartons.

Always label the inner carton/case (the pick box; or wedge between strings), in event the two become separated in transit resulting from a carton 'blow-out' on one of those conveyor jams. That way your git/amp/bass can be rewrapped and continue on its journey, instead of ending up in the carrier's Overgoods dept. This is the place where parcel contents go to die, because the carrier has no clue of the shipper/consignee. In fact, UPS used to have a major "Yard Sale" in Atlanta every Spring; consisting of these items. Check it out, you might find some of your old gear there. ;)

Forum Member
    "The holes in the boxes are usually from forklift blades running into the boxes."

:lolspin Wrong...or at the very least; highly unlikely. Those holes are punched in by other parcels resulting from conveyor jams. Moral? Pack your gear tighter than tight, so it's reinforced to withstand these "hits".

I also make every effort to ensure my gear is not in transit on a weekend...whenever possible; especially in extreme temps. They can sit outside in trailers for two days. Could create havoc on acoustics & hollowbodies, in particular. FWIW.

Forum Member
    I think Ted Weber was having massive problems with UPS damaging the speakers, so I believe he's gone over to FedEx exclusively now.

AHHHHH!

Stop. You are killing me! My guitar is left from Toldeo via FedEx a day ago. I need all the good karma I can get with it.

No war stories now!

;-)

Dale "the worried"
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Dale,
    Hopefully it didnt ship FedEx Ground or "the artists formerly known as RPS". They have been known to hire the most violent, savage gorillas in the freight handling business, I have heard many horror stories involving RPS shipments.....

Forum Member

"The Incredible Gremlins!"

Originally posted by Tremo
    I think Ted Weber was having massive problems with UPS damaging the speakers, so I believe he's gone over to FedEx exclusively now.
    Tremo,
    I've heard bad reviews of Fedex Ground in equal proportion. But, that's how it usually works, anyway. A shipper will get exasperated with one carrier and go to another, then another, etc, until they come full-circle. Hopefully, they're getting a better rate each time they jump. ;)

At this point, I really don't think one carrier is any better than the other, regarding their volume of damage claims. Could be wrong, of course, but it just seems there's no clear winner on package freight horror stories; either way.
    :nicholas

Re: "Helloise's Helpful Hints"

Originally posted by Preztone
    Each of the Big Three (UPS, Fedex & USPS) is equally capable of destroying anything, IMO. That said, I've never had to file a damage claim with any of them. I credit a combination of good luck and common sense.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter, but overall; packing is the key. Obviously, MF should know how to pack gear; that's all they do. So, I'm not saying that was the culprit in your case (no pun intended), Gizmo. But, I've received guitars & amps that were so poorly packed, I was amazed the carrier could complete the delivery at all.

Next Day Air/Overnight/etc, isn't just faster...those parcels get much less handling & avoid the major distribution hubs for Ground parcels. That's where the damage is likely to happen. The volume moving along those conveyors on a daily basis is mind boggling! The jams created by trying to move too much freight in too little time will test your pack job, to the max. Everyone likes to rag on the driver, because that's whom they see. However, damages very seldom have anything to do directly with them. And, don't wail on the graveyard grunts too much, either. They're being whipped to maintain a frenzied pace, or hit the road (which many of them do; thus high turnover, further lowering the quality of labor).

As I said, on occasion, it won't matter how well you pack it. But, I believe those are rare exceptions to the rule. So, help yourself out as much as you can to prevent damage/loss with your shipments.

When you ship a guitar/amp, make sure it is packed tightly, with NO air pockets anywhere in the carton (stryofoam peanuts are best). Any amp that isn't double-boxed is asking for disaster. Pack the tubes separately in bubble-wrap and box them. Put that box in the cabinet and fill the cavity with bubble-wrap. Box the amp and place in shipping carton with a buffer wall of "peanuts" between the two cartons.

Always label the inner carton/case (the pick box; or wedge between strings), in event the two become separated in transit resulting from a carton 'blow-out' on one of those conveyor jams. That way your git/amp/bass can be rewrapped and continue on its journey, instead of ending up in the carrier's Overgoods dept. This is the place where parcel contents go to die, because the carrier has no clue of the shipper/consignee. In fact, UPS used to have a major "Yard Sale" in Atlanta every Spring; consisting of these items. Check it out, you might find some of your old gear there. ;)
    I see we have another "insider" on the forum ! :spin Who do/did you work for ? I've been a driver for UPS for 7 years, but have one foot out the door already. Good advice given ( I gave the same shpeal over on the LP Forum not too long ago )

Forum Member

"I see nuhhhh-think!"

Originally posted by nicholas
    I see we have another "insider" on the forum ! :spin Who do/did you work for ? I've been a driver for UPS for 7 years, but have one foot out the door already. Good advice given ( I gave the same shpeal over on the LP Forum not too long ago )
    nicholas,

That essay was just a hunch on my part. Could be totally off! ;)
    Last edited by Preztone; 07-29-2002 at 01:56 PM.

You LIE like a rug .... no soup for you :whip

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I just bought a guitar from Gazza. He sent it Fed Ex Air overnight and when it arrive the corners on the box were still crisp. He packed the boxes (two) well. Thanks Dave!
    The man with magic hands.

Like I said, this was just a case, but it wasn't packed very well. It was in the original Fender box with cardboard spacers on each end to hold the case centered in the box. That's it, no padding whatsoever, just air around the rest of the case. In any case M/F & UPS have to work this one out themselves, I'm just disappointed I don't have a case to put my new bass in yet. But M/F will send me another one someday. If you want to see a guitar packed properly, order one from Dave's Guitar Shop. They know how to pack.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I don't understand why Gibson and Fender don't pack them (at least) with bubble wrap. It's cheap, effective, and doesn't take much time to stick into the box. Oh well, I guess the cost for a year's supply would equal a new Porche for the chairman and president. :nelson
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Gizmo59
    In any case M/F & UPS have to work this one out themselves, I'm just disappointed I don't have a case to put my new bass in yet. But M/F will send me another one someday.
    Giz,

Someday? Whatsamatta you? I'd politely demand MF send you a replacement case...now! The result of MF & Big Brown's little battle is totally irrelevant to you. Heck, none of this was of your doing, and they're gonna have to produce one for ya, sooner or later, anyway.

Not telling you what to do, but if it were me, I'd at least share that perspective with an MF Customer Service rep. Can't fathom how they could shoot down that kind of logic. :rr

(if not done, already; might even wanna email MF a pic of the damaged case)

Well, I politely requested M/F to send me a replacement case today. Talked to 3 different customer "service"(sic) reps. No way. They were gonna wait until they got the damaged case back from Ups. So, I told them to credit my account immediately & stick the case up their ass when they get it back. M/F, no friend of mine!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Gizmo59
    Well, I politely requested M/F to send me a replacement case today. Talked to 3 different customer "service"(sic) reps. No way. They were gonna wait until they got the damaged case back from Ups. So, I told them to credit my account immediately & stick the case up their ass when they get it back. M/F, no friend of mine!
    Gizmo,
    That's piss-poor on their part; especially since they already have your credit card on file.

Yep, their loss. I found a tweed case elsewhere for only $8 more, so I ordered that. So long M/F.
    Last edited by Gizmo59; 07-31-2002 at 02:14 PM.