Thread: Ibanez AS 73

Ibanez AS 73

So I was looking for a cheap alternative to a 335. I picked up a transparent cherry Ibanez AS-73 last November for $240 from a local GC (with the aid of a 20% off coupon).

What an incredible guitar!!! I have refrained till now from posting about it just in case the bloom wore off the rose. But it hasn't. Since I've had this my other guitars have become very lonely.

I haven't changed a thing on it, but I can get every sound I want with this and a DRRI.

All my other guitars cost a lot more than this one. But this is the one I pick up. As I said before, just plain incredible!!
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein

Forum Member

Re: Ibanez AS 73

I have one too. It gets more play time than my 335. Nice guitars, and you can't beat the price.

I've got an AS-83. It's got upgraded tuners, an Earvana nut, a better bridge, and CTS pots. But you're right - out of the box the Ibanez Artcore series guitars are impressive.
    s'all goof.

TFF Stage Crew

IMO you can't do much better in that price range. Absolutely great guitar.

I no longer have mine, which is actually an amusing anecdote in "just leaving well enough alone." Like Curtis said, right out of the box it's a great 335 copy.

I had a real 335 for a number of years in college (Dot Reissue from '86), and the Artcore was real close.

If I stuck .011s on it, it got a really great jazz sound. If I left .010s on it, it could do the Carlton Blues/Jazz/Rock thing really well too. I personally believe that I can hear the difference between solid maple tops and laminated maple tops, and I think the difference manifested itself in a diminished frequency response, particularly in the lower low end and the high end.

I tried to correct the problem by swapping in Gibson 57 classic pickups, and while that caused it to do a lot better with overdrive than it did before, it actually revealed more of the "missing" frequencies to my ears.

I should have upgraded the bridge and tailpiece as I once talked about doing, and left the pickups alone.

Anyway... I'm on a quest for a higher-end 335 clone (or even a used 335) right now and I'm only looking at guitars with solid tops. Again, I think I can hear the difference, although I think some argue it doesn't really matter.

But again, for the price they charge, the AS-73 (and newer AS-93) are simply outstanding.

Forum Member

Have you looked at the new Carvin semi-hollow? It's not a 335 clone -- it's a single cutaway, and it looks like it's probably smaller than a 335 -- but one of the main boasts they make about it is that it's got a solid, carved maple top rather than a laminate or a formed top.

The latest catalog has a picture of a sunburst-on-flame maple one that's gorgeous.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

If you think you can hear the difference between a solid top and a laminated top, thn I guess you can. After all, who else besides you can know what you hear?

I know for sure that I can't.

Here's an amusing story: I began my search for a 335-type guitar a few years ago. The summer before last, my wife and I accidentally wound up at one of those Gibson Road Show functions. I tried out a few 335's and she was actually urging me to buy one. Now, if it had been for my son, I would have sprung for it right there (he's a much better player than I am). But I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on a guitar for myself, given my limited skill. So I walked away. Sometimes I think back to that moment and scratch my head and say "what was I thinking?"

Anyway, I'm happy with my AS-73. I'm sure that I couldn't tell the difference between it and a real 335 anyway.
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein

TFF Stage Crew

Where I hear the difference is at live shows.

In my studio/practice haven, I had all the wonderful 335 goodness I could ever want for like 1/6th the price. The main band I play with is more a rock/funk thing and doesn't really lend itself to the 335 vibe, so I mostly played it at home.

I took it out to a couple jazz trio things and it was fine--a little too dark, but mostly fine.

Finally I did end up taking it out to a show with my regular band, and there was just no amount of amp tweaking I could do to make it "snap," or in anyway sit in the mix. The pickup swap did nothing to help it when I tried again at a subsequent gig.

As stated, if I'd actually gone ahead and tried a more solid bridge and tailpiece, I might have actually solved that problem, but I didn't feel like putting more money into the guitar that was meant to be an inexpensive journey into 335 land.

However... before this week is over, 335 land will be returning to my home in one way or another.

Forum Member

I was wondering if you still had the AS-73, pc. As I mentioned above, I actually play the AS-73 more than my 335, but the main reason isnt for the sound. My (1990) 335 is one with the '60 slim taper neck. I dont like too much 'beef' on a neck, but this is just a bit too thin for me. The AS-73s neck is really nice. Sonically however, there would never be anyone mistaking the 335 for the Ibanez. My 345 (1960) is a different story, it simply kicks ass. When I'm out jamming with friends though, it's the AS-73 that I take (and usually one of my Strats too)
    Last edited by JAM; 02-11-2008 at 09:35 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

I totally agree about the neck. I played a 1997 ES-335 (blonde) at GC this past week and the price was right enough (and the sound was fantastic) that I would have sprung right there but for the fact that the neck felt too slim for me.

With my CS-Strat and my 50s-neck Lester, I'm definitely much more into chunk now. The AS-73 had a great neck.

But yes, it did get sold when I bought my Les Paul.

I had an Ibanez Artist Semi Hollow in black quite a few years ago. Can't remember the specific model. I have to say it was one of the best guitars I have ever owned. Stupidly I sold it and have experimented with various other guitars since but I missed that Ibanez. I always wanted a Gibson 335 but couldn't justify the high price tag. I now have an Epiphone Sheraton which I have upgraded with CTS pots, Switchcraft Jack/Toggle Switch and Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday Humbuckers. I reckon it's as good as any 335 and I will never sell it.

Pete
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford