Thread: Pickups for a Korean Epiphone 335 dot

Pickups for a Korean Epiphone 335 dot

Bought it from my friend, very nice price.

Been setting up this new toy, changing the tuners, pots, fretworks, now it plays great. But the pickup is RUBBISH! Especially on the bridge, now it's tolerable after adjusting the pickup heights

Anyone plays the dot with replacement pickups? What's your choice?

I'm thinking about a Gibson PAF

Thanks guys!

Re: Pickups for a Korean Epiphone 335 dot

The 59PAF would work, but my first choice would be the Classic 57 in both slots, I don't think there's anything better in a 335 style.

Classic 57's all the way.

I've never tried the Classic 57 Plus, but I don't think you'll need the extra ummphh in the bridge position anyway.

Unfortunately, the new pickups might cost close to what you might have paid for the guitar. Yet, you'll be downright pleased with the tones.
    POO DAT!!!

yeah it's expensive, actually I just paid 150dollars for the guitar

I'm trying my luck on ebay right now...

If not I think I'll get a Duncan SH 1
    Last edited by Notyethendrix; 01-26-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member

Have you considered GFS pickups? These are great pickups especially for a 150$ guitar! I put their vintage 59 humbuckers in an Agile AL-2000 and I am very pleased with the results!

Cheers,
    Stephane.

Classic 57s are stock on the Epiphone Dot, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Do you have a reference for that? It is not listed on the Epiphone website, or MF or anywhere that I can tell. And I would be real surprised if Epi put $200 worth of pickups in a $150 guitar.

My brother-in-law picked up the plain brown epi dot studio. I did a little setup for him & it plays & sounds great. I adjusted the pup heights a little bit, but I didn't see any reason to change them.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

are you kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Notyethendrix View Post
    are you kidding?
    IMO he is a little Epi does not help with the confusion the pups are called classic Alnico & a lot of folks confuse this designation with the Gibson classic 57 , not at all the same pup the Epi uses AV and brass plates and covers , are wound hotter than the Gibson which use A2 and german silver , nickel plating Etc. The Epi can sound ok but the Gibson or any other properly made PAF syle will produce a better tone. The epi type forums add to this idea that the Epi classic are copies of the Gibson and this, though some will not belive it, is not the case.

To the poster lots of good pups out there you can not go wrong with the Gibson Classic 57s or Burstbucker Pro IMO or even the 490s. IMO chose what ever good pup maker strikes your fancy , Fralin , Duncan, Lollar, WB, Wolfe tone etc. If you get too confused get the Classic 57s they are great.Any will give you better sustain , note seperation , more frequency response Etc. also in a semi IMO you do not want a unpotted pup such as the Seth Lover Duncans.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

I set up a friend's Epi Dot about a year ago.
    I didn't care for the guitar itself, but the tone, even with the stock pickups, wasn't bad at all.

Look at post #4 of this thread, Epi 335 with Classic 57s on the first two runs.

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35918

and if you can get Refin to loan you his fingers, well...

I did mate, he got some killer playings there

Actually this is my first semi-hollow, and the reason I'm going for the Gibson 57 is because of this clip. But I like to have some opinions first so I ask.

Now let me ask Refin about his finger's specification
    Last edited by Notyethendrix; 01-29-2008 at 02:59 AM.

I have an Korean Epiphone Sheraton in tobacco burst. I swapped the electrics for switchcraft jacks etc and CTS pots. The pickups I fitted are Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday's. Awesome. This guitar can hold it's own against any Gibson 335. I think the pups are only available in the UK. They are expensive, I paid Ł190 (about $380 ) but worth every cent.
    http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Pete
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

Forum Member

I've been considering some Classic 57's for this guitar--similar to a 335/dot.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/rever...ta_ray_hb.html

I love the feel of it, but the tone isn't quite what I remember even from my Epiphone, and I wonder how some decent pickups could improve it.

These PU's are ceramic. The rock pretty well, but I don't love the clean tone.

I just wonder if it will be worth the investment, or if the change will be incredibly subtle.

Last year I replaced the stock humbuckers in my Gibson Les Paul with Zhangbuckers, and I continue to be completely blown away by what that guitar is capable of now.

David spends a lot of time sorting out exactly what you're looking for before he starts winding, and it's worth it.

For the price of a Duncan, you get a pickup that's custom wound to your specs. Hard to beat that.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotech View Post
    Classic 57's all the way.

I've never tried the Classic 57 Plus, but I don't think you'll need the extra ummphh in the bridge position anyway.

Unfortunately, the new pickups might cost close to what you might have paid for the guitar. Yet, you'll be downright pleased with the tones.
    EDIT----I didn't realize that javlib had already posted this! How humbling!

The 57s are great in my Epi Dot!
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5993026

First 2 solos,'57 Classics in a Dot Epi 335.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5996472
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by refin View Post

I'm perfectly happy with any of the pickups at my disposal. What I'd love to have is a set of those hands, but I hear they're one of a kind and virtually unobtainium.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by refin View Post

The Hill Is Gone

Always bring a smile on my face hearing you play Refin, wonderful

I actually prefer this tone even more, the one you did on top of the JZ track, is a little bit too horny for me

Quote Originally Posted by TONESEEKER View Post
    I have an Korean Epiphone Sheraton in tobacco burst. I swapped the electrics for switchcraft jacks etc and CTS pots. The pickups I fitted are Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday's. Awesome. This guitar can hold it's own against any Gibson 335. I think the pups are only available in the UK. They are expensive, I paid Ł190 (about $380 ) but worth every cent.
    http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Pete
    Thanks Pete, but it is way out of my budget

Heard loads of great review about Bareknuckles too, and I did email them before, have been very very helpful

I came this close to buying an Gibson ES-135.

It was one sweet sounding guitar. Really nice and smooth yet crisp, clean or overdriven. Just a great range of useable sounds.
    I always figured the Classic 57's played a significant role.
    Similar construction to a Dot, so I guess it's an apt comparison.

The 135 came in a tie for a close second place when I bought my Bluesbird.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

so refin:

how big was the difference in the 57's from your stock PU's? Obvious? Subtle?

If you really have to change the pups, buy some GFS buckers, great bang for the buck there. Then spend more time playing the guitar.

I am not lecturing here, cuz I need to get this lesson through my (ever-thickening) skull more than most folks here: Your time is much better spent playing the guitar in question than worrying about changing the pickups.

Just my 2 cents. All the best,

JR

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    If you really have to change the pups, buy some GFS buckers, great bang for the buck there. Then spend more time playing the guitar.

I am not lecturing here, cuz I need to get this lesson through my (ever-thickening) skull more than most folks here: Your time is much better spent playing the guitar in question than worrying about changing the pickups.

Just my 2 cents. All the best,

JR
    LOL yeah but sometimes changing the pups makes a person play the guitar more.

Forum Member

I hate the untested nature of all of this.

We can't test new pickups at Guitar Center. Even if a Gibson has the ones we want, there are so many other factors you just don't know until you put them in your guitar and use your amp.

For 57's it's a $250 gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Notyethendrix View Post
    are you kidding?
    Nope. According to the the Guitar Player review linked on the product page and hosted on Epiphone's own site:

Its '57 Classic pick-ups have alnico magnets (just like the vintage units)
    I suppose it's possible that Epiphone makes their own '57 Classic pickups, but I doubt they'd be much different from the Gibson-made ones. Or else Guitar Player was mistaken and Epiphone didn't see fit to correct the review even as it exists on Epiphone.com

Forum Member

Nope. According to the the Guitar Player review linked on the product page and hosted on Epiphone's own site:

I suppose it's possible that Epiphone makes their own '57 Classic pickups, but I doubt they'd be much different from the Gibson-made ones. Or else Guitar Player was mistaken and Epiphone didn't see fit to correct the review even as it exists on Epiphone.com
    I believe Epiphone does make their own 57's. for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EPIPHONE-...QQcmdZViewItem

It's also worth noting that the one con listed is "pickups lack vibe." And that they indicate the sound will only "get you in the ballpark."

Quote Originally Posted by NDRU View Post
    so refin:

Ahh, good question

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    LOL yeah but sometimes changing the pups makes a person play the guitar more.
    Damn right

But I do treasure JR's thought. And personally I think the journey of seeking a decent tone is a must for all musicians. 'Practice' should be 3-Dimensional

I guess it's both Classic 57, just like a 335, Gibson made and Epiphone made sort of thing

Difference? Refin should be the best one to answer that

Quote Originally Posted by NDRU View Post
    so refin:

More sizzle,warmth,clarity,and a great blend between the 2.The stock pups sounded okay individually one you set the amp for that pup.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Yes guitar player is quite often mistaken and discriptions are often missleading, the EPI pups are designated as Classic Alnico... not classic 57s . .. classic alnico can mean anything A2. A3, A5, A4. The Epis are not built the same as the Gibson at all. They do not sound too bad , not as good as the 57s. They (epi) probably enjoy the fact that people call them 57 made by Epi ( what MIK place is that) let them belive what they want if it helps sales. No place in the Epi catolog or web. discription are the words classic 57. only classic alnico which A5 is a mag strength used in pups in the classic sense not used in the Gibson classic 57s.

Forum Member

The folks at my shop are recommending 57's, burstbuckers, Fralins, and Duncan 59's. They say that the difference between those is fairly subtle.

They did not recommend the 490 or 498, and didn't recommend other Duncans, at least for what I was asking which was a vintage sound.

One guy said Burstbuker 2 & 3 combo was his fave, but he recommended me the 57 & 57 plus based on my desire for a mellow tone.

The owner suggested that Burstbuckers were nearly identical to 57's, and in fact were actually identical to 57's that received inequal windings (which may still happen in these modern times).

Anyway, just their 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Yes guitar player is quite often mistaken and discriptions are often missleading, the EPI pups are designated as Classic Alnico... not classic 57s . .. classic alnico can mean anything A2. A3, A5, A4. The Epis are not built the same as the Gibson at all. They do not sound too bad , not as good as the 57s. They (epi) probably enjoy the fact that people call them 57 made by Epi ( what MIK place is that) let them belive what they want if it helps sales. No place in the Epi catolog or web. discription are the words classic 57. only classic alnico which A5 is a mag strength used in pups in the classic sense not used in the Gibson classic 57s.
    is that catalog from back when they were korean made, or does it feature MIC ones? asking as much out of curiosity as argument. i have a MIK with the stock pickups, and i think they sound good, and with character that compliments the 335-ish design. maybe the neck pup is a little bass-heavy (muddy to some) and hot in comparison to the bridge pup, but a lot of that was overcome by creative height adjustment. they are neither microphonic or noisy, but i dont know what magnets were used. i have considered changing pickups (like i end up doing to virtually every guitar i have ever owned) a number of times since ive owned it, even considered a pair of the PAF-sized P90 dealies, which i think would be swank in this guitar. but really, i like the guitar like it is, though the intonation can be a little temperamental.

oh, and the pickguard HAS to go. BLECH!

a

Quote Originally Posted by toobalicious View Post
    is that catalog from back when they were korean made, or does it feature MIC ones? asking as much out of curiosity as argument. i have a MIK with the stock pickups, and i think they sound good, and with character that compliments the 335-ish design. maybe the neck pup is a little bass-heavy (muddy to some) and hot in comparison to the bridge pup, but a lot of that was overcome by creative height adjustment. they are neither microphonic or noisy, but i dont know what magnets were used. i have considered changing pickups (like i end up doing to virtually every guitar i have ever owned) a number of times since ive owned it, even considered a pair of the PAF-sized P90 dealies, which i think would be swank in this guitar. but really, i like the guitar like it is, though the intonation can be a little temperamental.

oh, and the pickguard HAS to go. BLECH!

a
    2006 catolog and before 1999 they where different not designed by Gibson. Epis are still MIK & MIC , I believe the pups all come from the same source in Korea could be wrong.

hmm. i was thinking that all current dots were made in china, and IIRC, the qingdao factory. could be a product of internet mush-brain. i do know that my guitar was made in the korean samick factory, as denoted by "s" in the serial.

a

just found this, in case anyone is interested:
    Korea
    I = Saein
    U = Unsung
    S = Samick
    P or R = Peerless

China
    DW = DeaWon
    EA = Gibson/QingDao
    EE = Gibson/QingDao
    MC = Muse
    SJ = SaeJung
    Z = Zaozhuang Saehan
    BW = China

Japan

No letter or F = FujiGen
    J or T = Terada

Czech Republic

B = Bohemia Musico-Delicia

Indonesia

SI = Samick

Example: U8034853 U = Unsung, 8 = 1998, 03 = March, 4853 = manufacturing number.

Forum Member

My new Burstbucker 2 & 3 sound pretty sweet!

They're supposedly a reproduction of the 59's, based on a Japanese company that dissected a bunch of real ones to find out what was different about them. Supposedly the two coils are not evenly wound, also they do not have wax potting.

Whatever, but they do sound great!

I have a Epi Dot - stock - sounds fine on its own -
    I have a freind who has SD Phat Cats......UNBELIEVBLE!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>