Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fender Harvard Reverb II

Forum Member

Re: Fender Harvard Reverb II

NeoFauve has it right. I actually bought one of those new around 1984. The one I have has the headphone jack with the switch and no other external speaker jacks (looks just like what you received). I'd say the one with the external jacks is modded.

Hello again,

First, I would like to say thank you for all of the input on the tube amplifiers. I will take each and every opinion into account when searching for one.

Safari,

Thank you for confirming that there isn't an external speaker jack on the Harvard. How do you like the amp and what type of music do you play through it? Do you run any effects into the amp and how are the effects connected? Thanks.

Note: My handle may say "EvilTwin", but in not way, shape, or form am I Evil, I'm actually a nice guy.

EvilTwin
    Last edited by EvilTwin; 01-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Note: My handle may say "EvilTwin", but in not way, shape, or form am I Evil, I'm actually a nice guy.
    oh... i just thought you were talking about one of these:

a

^ that is a heavy unit, around 90# boxed up.. I don't miss mine.Well having to move it anyway
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

The twin is an OK amp. For the money you spend, and what it costs to keep up with it, unless your playing a huge venue its not even close to neccessary. Most of the features are cool at first, but you keep going back to the clean channel, and 25 watts into 2 12's is alot to begin with. The tremolo was mediocre, but it sounds a little different on different twin amps too, and I wasn't going to start repalcing all the tubes to see if I could get more out of it. You could mess around with one and get it toa place where you really like it, or you could just shell out a couple extra bucks up front and buy something really nice and more suited to you. Also the PCB inside is questionable, so I unloaded it while it was still in prime shape.

Buying my twin was what got me looking at smaller and simpler amps, less crap to clutter up the tone, less crap to break, less tubes to replace, and most importanat of all....more tone!

Mesotech,
    Thank you for the input and experiences.

Victorilux,
    Thank you for the input also.

I have come to the conclusion that the best course of action for me to take is to learn the instrument first (no brainer there, huh). I now have an amplifier (not the top of the line amp, but it will do, to get me to were I need to be), which is a good thing. I can concentrate on tube amps after I understand what the instrument and the amplifier does when working together. Tonality speaking, I wouldn't know a SS amp from a Tube amp anyway at this point, so as posted earlier, once my inner tone has matured then I can consider an amplifier that will suite me, but that is a long way off from now. Thanks again for the input.

Anyone else out there have the "Harvard Reverb II" amplifier. I would like to get your thoughts on this amp and how to achieve some good tones with it. Thanks.

EvilTwin

Forum Member

Evil- I haven't used mine in many years, but I remember being quite happy with it. Back then I bought it as a bedroom amp and left my larger amp at band practice space. I don't think I ever used the effects loop, but I found the headphone jack quite useful. Just start plugging things and turning knobs- you'll figure out what sounds best. btw, I might be able to come up with the manual for mine - you're welcome to it if things don't work out with the one you ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Safari View Post
    Evil- I haven't used mine in many years, but I remember being quite happy with it. Back then I bought it as a bedroom amp and left my larger amp at band practice space. I don't think I ever used the effects loop, but I found the headphone jack quite useful. Just start plugging things and turning knobs- you'll figure out what sounds best. btw, I might be able to come up with the manual for mine - you're welcome to it if things don't work out with the one you ordered.

Safari,
    Thanks for your response. Thank you for the offer on the manual. I did receive my ordered manual along with the schematic. The manual does list four starter setups (Bright Rhythm, Warm Rhythm, Heavy Metal Lead, and Sweet Fat Lead), I will start with those settings then. I am a little confused about the Volume and Master knobs and how they work together, the manual doesn't really cover there operation other than a brief description of the knob. If I have the volume turned up and the Master turned down there isn't any volume. Is it, that the Volume with the Gain actually acts as a drive and the Master acts as the Volume? And I'm not quite sure how the gain knob works either (the manual states that it is supposed to work in tandum with the Volume knob). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Evil

Forum Member

Master volume allows you to overdrive the preamp section of your circuit. Someone may give you a better tech explanation, but the best way to understand it is to start at the extreme and work backward. Turn the volume to 0, turn the master to 10, turn guitar volume to 10, then bring the volume up slowly - that's your maximum gain. You can then dial out some of the gain with either guitar volume or master volume. You'll see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Safari View Post
    Master volume allows you to overdrive the preamp section of your circuit. Someone may give you a better tech explanation, but the best way to understand it is to start at the extreme and work backward. Turn the volume to 0, turn the master to 10, turn guitar volume to 10, then bring the volume up slowly - that's your maximum gain. You can then dial out some of the gain with either guitar volume or master volume. You'll see how it works.

Safari,
    Thanks a bunch. That explains a lot. Time to start experimenting.

Evil

EvilTwin,

I have a V-Amp modeler and have been kicking around the idea of running it into some tube power.

Have you considered buying a small vintage mono or stereo tube amp for your digital box? Couple it to a cabinet with some good guitar speakers and you would have no need for an effects loop in another amp to accomplish this; and you can get stereo if your digital box has stereo outputs!

10-15w stereo tube amps can be had on e-bay for as little as $50 plus shipping. It may not fill an auditorium but that's certainly enough power to drive you out of your practice room.

Just thinking outside the box ....
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

CDW2000,
    Thanks for the input. That's an idea worth thinking over, thanks.

ET

Forum Member

Ok, I know this thread is more than a year old, but I just got myself a Harvard Reverb II. First of all, $65 is a steal considering how good this amp sounds being soild state. I downloaded the manual from http://www.geocities.com/twoseriesso...arvardreverbii

There is no external speaker jack on mine, neither does the manual mention one, so I'm thinking this amp was never designed with such a jack. I also have a Super Champ from the same era and these two amps share the same size cabinet, so maybe some kind of mix up is at play here, since the Super Champ has an external speaker jack. (But no headphones or loop)

In any case, you got your harvard Reverb II at a very nice price.