Thread: tube reverb unit

Forum Member

tube reverb unit

I've got an old tweed amp comming, and I was wondering if the 63' reissue is good sounding, or I should look for an original? It seems that the ressiue is going for around 300$ used, and a original is going for between $600-$700. Would it be worth the extra monies to dig up an original? I like the fact that the originals are point to point. Also, the fact that they won't depreciate in value. if any of you have played both...which would you get? I have heard pretty conflicting reports. I saw in another post (I can't remember where) that they had a hoffman board in their reverb. Did that work out good? That would maybe be something I am interested in also...I know where sombody locally has a reissue that they aren't using that I could get cheap and mod. Thanks in advance,

N

I have a Reissue and I am pleased with it. I had an original many years ago sop I can't A-B the sounds or differences from memory.

With the RI, make sure you put a 6K6 in the unit to replace the cheesy 6V6 that came in it. I also replaced the 12AT7 (Ruskie) with a GE triple mica 12AT7A. I also replaced the 12AX7 recovery tube with an RCA 5751, which improves any Fender reverb a lot.

The other common mod is to replace the 250 PF cap on the Vol pot, (or is it the tone pot?) with something around 390 to 500 PF. This I haven't gotten around to yet so I can't comment on the difference.

If you really want the original and have the extra $$ that would be your choice to make, but I am satisfied with the RI.

...Thats my :2c ...Your milage may vary....

PS I am going to build a finger jointed Walnut cabinet for mine, to match my Walnut DIY Bassman, just for grins....

Forum Member
    The originals sound fantastic, but they're pricey.

The reissues sound good, and can be made to sound better. The above mentioned tweaks are spot-on. Put in good American tubes and use a 6K6, preferably an RCA. For the 12AT7, I use the industrial 6201 version. For the 12AX7, I'm running a Telefunken ECC83 in mine. Changing that 250 pf cap to something closer to 500 pf does indeed warm up the tone a bit.

I did the ultimate mod to mine, I installed a Hoffman board. The Hoffman board is all hand-wired point to point, and uses better quality components than the stock cheezy PC board Fender uses. The result is a reverb that sounds noticibly better than stock, very close in sound to an original. I guess the only thing left to do, if one were so inclined, would be to swap in a better drive transformer, and try to find an old Gibbs pan in good shape.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Casey4s
    with a GE triple mica 12AT7A. I also replaced the 12AX7 recovery tube with an RCA 5751, which improves any Fender reverb a lot.

PS I am going to build a finger jointed Walnut cabinet for mine, to match my Walnut DIY Bassman, just for grins....
    Hey Casey, fancy seeing you over here!

Would you recommend installing 5751 for the recovery tube in "internal" tanks, such as Vibrolux and Super Reverbs?

Also, I saw the pics of your walnut cab, VERY nice work, amigo.

Ken

Originally posted by stratton

Hey Casey, fancy seeing you over here!

Would you recommend installing 5751 for the recovery tube in "internal" tanks, such as Vibrolux and Super Reverbs?

Also, I saw the pics of your walnut cab, VERY nice work, amigo.

Ken
    Yes, I would recommend the 5751 in the Reverb of a Fender amp combo or head, as the recovery tube. Try it, if you don't think it helps take some of the edge off of the reverb but still have that great Fender 'verb sound, just put a good quality 12AX7A or 7025 back in that slot. Always make sure you use a 12AT7 in the driver because it is specificaly designed as a high freq tube and is perfect as a driver tube or PI.

...just my :2c .....

Forum Member
    Hey thanks guys....There were a lot of good mods mentioned. I think somewhere I have gerald webers first book...hip desktop reference, it had a little on the original reverb unit. I'm still on the fence though. I buy a used reissue, ( maybe +shipping or tax...I haven't talked to my friend in awhile) retube it...some mods. I'm looking at $500

I have been looking at he Hoffman board and it looks great, but add that into the mix and I'm more than a original (of course an old one might need servicing which evens out the price) I guess I need to see if my friend will let me try his reissue and see if it works for me.

Does anyone here use an original??

off subject: Does anyone here use that thing the victoria makes with the verb and the trem?? It is probably a little too pricey for me, and I do have a super reverb anyway, but I was just wondering.

That walnut cab sounds really cool...I've done a lot of work with walnut building furnature...I never thought about cabs before. I'll bet it looks stunning!!

Forum Member
    Yo Montz,

I bought my reissue reverb BRAND NEW for $312. At Guitar Center none the less, when they first got them in. You should be able to pick up a used one for less than that. Keep an eye on ebay?

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I really like mine. I read about the upgrades a while ago, but never knew exactly what tubes to get. Does the reverb unit need to be biased? I would assume so, but I don't really know much about amp repair. Overlooking the whole deadly caps thing, is biasing fairly easy? Thanks for the help! :)
    The man with magic hands.

Originally posted by burst_king
    I really like mine. I read about the upgrades a while ago, but never knew exactly what tubes to get. Does the reverb unit need to be biased? I would assume so, but I don't really know much about amp repair. Overlooking the whole deadly caps thing, is biasing fairly easy? Thanks for the help! :)

Everything is Cathode biased so it is plug & play as far as tubes go. The 6K6 and other NOS tubes are available from Mike Kropotkin at KCA. (A good guy and excellent service)

KCA Tubes

Forum Member
    I got a Ri in amy and it sounds great, better than any stock built in reverb. Did the CBS 6K6 mod first and it really tammed the verb tone and made much more subtle and smooth and you adjust the dwell. just did the rest of the tube last week westinghouse 12atz and an rca 5751. since I gig with mine rather have the Ri so less worry and reliabilty issues are less. It also warms up my SS fender bronco amp that i use for rehersals gives ia bit of tube tone. They make my old marshall more flexible wiht reverb

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Originally posted by sixty2strat
    I got a Ri in amy...
    Dude, I've seen some wierd shit, but that takes the cake! Could you post a picture? Man, she must've been practicing with elephants for months in order to pull off that feet!
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    I'd be satisfied with a used RI. Slowly doing the mods over time will lessen the financial "sting" and you'll actually be learning and getting experience along the way. The Hoffman boards are a great place to learn and improve your sound.

I don't see the used RI Fender losing value. They've sorta hit a level and I expect them to stay popular at that price.

Of course, the original vintage units can be expected to continue going up in price over time -- but this typically makes for a unwise choice to actually drag around to gigs and barrooms with the risk of damage, theft, etc.

I use a Victoria Reverberato Reverb/Tremolo in tweed covered cab. The tremolo in killer, the reverb is decent. Victoria stopped making these units, so expect the used prices to be a DEAL at $800 now and going UP!

It sounds very nice overall (but JEESE at that PRICE NEW?!? $1,500?!?). I swapped the reverb tank to a three spring and the reverb got closer to that I personally wanted (I can always switch back).

I'm working with a friend on a Reverb/Tremolo roughly based on a old Premier reverb with Fender early '60s tube tremolo. Just got it into a Crusty Cabs tweed covered cabinet (NICE!). Used a Weber Reverb/Tremolo chromed chassis -- looks like a small Victoria Reverberato. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Forum Member
    That was May not amy .......mmmhhh n not a bad idea